[SOLVED] Audio randomly going up and down

Jlg823

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
So I got a newer setup and got the ASUS B550-F Gaming (Wi-FI) and I noticed when people talk on Discord or even sometimes without people talking, the audio will randomly get louder/softer. When I check the volume levels/percentage it's the same as it was before but it sounds louder/quiter. I tried installing the Realtek Audio driver and that did not fix it and if anything made everything sound quieter. Any tips?

EDIT:

Windows 10 Pro
5900X
RTX 2080 Super
ASUS B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi)
Corsair Vengence DDR4 3600mhz CL18

Headphones are HD598cs 3.5mm jack plugged into Razer Blackwidow Keyboard which then plugs into the 3.5mm jack in the back of the PC. This audio issue does continues even when plugging directly into the back of the motherboard. It does NOT appear when plugging into my laptop. It also did NOT happen on my previous computer which only different was CPU/RAM/Motherboard. I have of course tried the basics, like turning off other devices/applications accessing my headphones and going to the "Communications" tab.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan

Jlg823

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
Look for some configuration setting - "equalizer" reference.

If you right click the small speaker icon usually found in the lower right hand screen corner a menu of audio related choices will appear.

Each choice will lead to any number of Windows, tabs, and properties.

Explore all first without changing anything.

FYI:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/windows-10-equalizer-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-work/
So went through, tried that and it appears to be still happening. All I'm doing is leaving a YouTube video on that I've watched before and know doesn't have huge volume shifts and yet it continues to raise/lower the volume randomly. Also tried messing with the Realtek Audio Control panel.

EDIT: Even if I turn a game down to less than 10% on the Volume Mixer, I can still hear it randomly get louder.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make model information for : headphones, speakers, microphone,etc.? USB, 1/8" (3.5 mm) plugs and ports? Any audio adapters or splitters?

Swap in other known working (no volume changes) headphones, speakers, microphones to determine if the problem continues.

Try your audio hardware on another known working (no audio issues/problems). Determine if the random volume changes follows your audio hardware or stays with your computer.

Jlg823

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make model information for : headphones, speakers, microphone,etc.? USB, 1/8" (3.5 mm) plugs and ports? Any audio adapters or splitters?

Swap in other known working (no volume changes) headphones, speakers, microphones to determine if the problem continues.

Try your audio hardware on another known working (no audio issues/problems). Determine if the random volume changes follows your audio hardware or stays with your computer.

Windows 10 Pro
5900X
RTX 2080 Super
ASUS B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi)
Corsair Vengence DDR4 3600mhz CL18

Headphones are HD598cs 3.5mm jack plugged into Razer Blackwidow Keyboard which then plugs into the 3.5mm jack in the back of the PC. This audio issue does continues even when plugging directly into the back of the motherboard. It does NOT appear when plugging into my laptop. It also did NOT happen on my previous computer which only different was CPU/RAM/Motherboard. I have of course tried the basics, like turning off other devices/applications accessing my headphones and going to the "Communications" tab.

Last edited:

Jlg823

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
Try using a a 3.5mm audio F <----> M extension cable between headphones and jacks. Just something to change the physical fit and feel between headphone plug and jack(s).

Hopefully a tighter and squarer fit.
I'll give it a try but I still have a feeling it's something to do with Windows being weird. Not 100% sure but since this problem doesn't happen on other devices with this pair of headphones, it seems likely.

Jlg823

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
Try using a a 3.5mm audio F <----> M extension cable between headphones and jacks. Just something to change the physical fit and feel between headphone plug and jack(s).

Hopefully a tighter and squarer fit.
Ok, so for some reason, when I open "Sounds" and enable a device that I'm not using, such as my Monitor Speakers, the volume on my headphones goes back to normal for a brief period of time and all the games/videos sound like they're supposed to. This also happens if I "Configure Speakers" on the other devices, which makes no sense. But hopefully going through each and every device and making unchecking "Allow Applications to take exclusive control of this device" fixed it. Not 100% sure though and will report back after some time.

EDIT: That did not fix it and I am so freaking unsure what is causing this BS. Tried installing the Realtek Audio drivers, didn't work. Tried force updating the HD Audio Driver under Device Manager, didn't work. At this point I'm bouta just wipe and install Win 11 lol.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Look for any "loops" within the physical audio connections.

By that I mean something like A connecting to B connecting to C connecting to D connecting to A again.

Also look at the plugs and ports (TR, TRS, TRRS)

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Some mismatch may be at the heart of it all.

Before reinstalling Windows 11 try running Windows's built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try "sfc /scannow" and "dism" via the Command Prompt.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

DISM Overview | Microsoft Docs

Jlg823

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
Look for any "loops" within the physical audio connections.

By that I mean something like A connecting to B connecting to C connecting to D connecting to A again.

Also look at the plugs and ports (TR, TRS, TRRS)

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Some mismatch may be at the heart of it all.

Before reinstalling Windows 11 try running Windows's built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try "sfc /scannow" and "dism" via the Command Prompt.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

DISM Overview | Microsoft Docs
After trying multiple things, I think it's honestly something to do with the back audio port or my Razer keyboard. I normally plug my headphones, since they have a short wire, into my Razer keyboard which then plugs into the back audio ports. When I got a friend to keep talking in Discord and I went and plugged my headphones directly into the back, it kept happening. But when I plug into the front panel or into my BlueYeti, this problem doesn't occur. So until I can solve the problem, I'll just be plugging my HD598cs into my Blue Yeti. It's a bit annoying cause I like to push my microphone up above the monitor when watching videos and now there will be a cable dangling but it's better than having audio randomly go up and down. Until I can buy a longer cable to reach my front panel of the case, I guess this will be my "solution".

Besides the back audio port I believe it might have something to do with what Windows/ASUS auto install. I have the ASUS B550 and in the BIOS it mentions that it automatically downloads Armory Crate and other "optional" updates, one of which appears to be Nahimic and DTS stuff which other people have reported being extremely annoying to delete. The solution I've seen other people talk about is basically going into BIOS, disable the auto-install, and wipe Windows and install a fresh copy.