Avatar Breaks Blu-ray Piracy Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Pretty impressive, but to be fair The Dark Knight came out on Blu-ray when it was still extremely high priced to even own a player. I paid $29.99 for Blu-ray releases at the time too, now you can get the same new releases for $10 cheaper and players have dropped about a hundred or more and it was two years ago. Just saying, they broke many records but the comparison for a new format is kind of just a slick way to boost their ego given the other variables that exist.

fatkid35

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
nugget your right about the plot but man it was awesome in theaters to watch. the images were amazing. the blueray looks bitchin on my lcd at home as well.

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]mcnuggetofdeath[/nom]Why would someone spend time downloading a poorly written rehash of Pocahontas? If you want pretty explosions and colors go buy yourself some LSD and fireworks. You'll have more fun. I promise.[/citation]
It was like wow and then I was like boom!

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I bought this Blu-Ray instead of pirating like normal because I believe in buying movies I personally like and will watch more than once. For a so-so movie I only will watch once there's no way I'll pay $25.

We need full digital downloads of movies for say $3 for standard def and maybe $5 for HD. That may sound low but at those prices they will more than make up for the lower cost in quantity....and digital downloads costs nothing for the seller, no packaging, no shipping and handling. Sell cheap, but you'll sell so many more copies. The studios and game companies just don't get this FACT. If video games we're $10 to download new releases no one would really pirate, it just wouldn't be worth it to save $10.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I actually enjoyed the movie more in my house than I did in the theatre. I bought the regular dvd and upscaled it on my ps3, and even that looked incredible. The movie itself wasnt that great but i bought it for the effects, personally hurt locker and shuitter island are better movies in terms of story in my opinion. THe sci fi thing isnt really new considering it reminded me of aliens, starcraft,final fantasy, and ferngully combined.

G

"This is a must for Blu-Ray. Buying this on DVD doesnt make sense. This movie is about the visual effects not the story. "

And you lose most of the effect by buying it on blueray. It was ment to be viewed in 3d.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]mcnuggetofdeath[/nom]Why would someone spend time downloading a poorly written rehash of Pocahontas? If you want pretty explosions and colors go buy yourself some LSD and fireworks. You'll have more fun. I promise.[/citation]
Sad dude, it was a good movie.

G

It was worth buying. I Bought it. I also "tried it before I buyed it" lol.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Do people only care about visuals these days? The visuals were spectacular but the story was terrible. I found it bland, cliche, and predictable. I was rooting for the humans, screw those blue hippies!

I rented the BD for 2.99$ at my local video store and watched it on a 55" 1080P Sammy/Bose 7.1 and it was simply awesome, no need to pirate anything since the download is going to take an average of 6hrs + you need a blank BD-R disk and burner. When you add all that up you actually spent more money than you needed to. Ironic heh?

PuckerFactor

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
I'm surprised so many people bought this bare-bones release...A special edition likely including 20-40 minutes of additional footage is being released later this year.

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
the studio knows people are too impatient to wait for the better release
they're going to turn this into Star Wars like releases I bet

Funny thing is this was aired as a rip on CUBAN National TV back at the end of January complete with Spanish sub-titles. Made me laugh and surprised, until I realized, yeah Cuba's not very pro-USA and pro-copyright. ;)

avitarcuba.jpg

I watched it again even though I saw it twice in theatres, cause it was raining outside that night. :whistle:

Just goes to show, make a movie good enough (either by plot, or technology) you'll still make a stink-load of money, even with lotsa people pirating it.

It also makes me wonder how much of the piracy is driven by the idea that why would you buy the BluRay when it has no special features on it and I know a 3D version with all the extras is coming later?

Some people will pay for it because it's the latest content for their home theatres, but others aren't willing to pay for it when they know another better version is coming. Same with The Lord of the Rings which launched with the Theatrical release instead of respecting consumers with the launch of the full movie.

Leave it to the media accountants & lawyers and you'd have them talk more about the lost revenue of Avatar not it's actual sales & profits. :mouais:

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
There are some of us who bought the blu-ray and still can't play it because of the length of time it takes for firmware updates to fix this.
drm is useless all it does is cause problems for people who buy it not the pirates.
Next time if they have another release like this im going to scream better yet class action lawsuit time, i should not have to buy another blu-ray player because 1 movie will not play on it.
It might be another week or so before a proper firmware upgrade will allow me to watch it.

G

[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]I bought this Blu-Ray instead of pirating like normal because I believe in buying movies I personally like and will watch more than once. For a so-so movie I only will watch once there's no way I'll pay $25.We need full digital downloads of movies for say $3 for standard def and maybe $5 for HD. That may sound low but at those prices they will more than make up for the lower cost in quantity....and digital downloads costs nothing for the seller, no packaging, no shipping and handling. Sell cheap, but you'll sell so many more copies. The studios and game companies just don't get this FACT. If video games we're $10 to download new releases no one would really pirate, it just wouldn't be worth it to save $10.[/citation]

what u said is pretty dumb imho... dude... these companies already made the studies.... and guess what... they already thought about your brilliant idea.... and guess what were the results.... NOT WORTH IT...
thats why they selling at 30$...
dont worry.... they know what they are doing...

as for now.. ill just keep downloading movies....

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... we here have a copyright tax on all storage devices... so... it seams, i have payed, but... haz this money get to Cameron? Don't know...

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]PuckerFactor[/nom]I'm surprised so many people bought this "bare-bones" release...A special edition likely including 20-40 minutes of additional footage is being released later this year.[/citation]

I seem to remember the same thing happening with the "Lord of the Rings" movies after release.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
well im one that is ULTRA ANTI disks if it cant fit my hard drive it not gonna get into my house. thanks to steam i do get a lot of good games. But before i find a good 720p/1080p download service its not gonna get bought. and who the hell takes 6h to download a HD movie you clearly got into the wrong places i newer go under 1,5mbs and 720p is no problem when they are on 4,4gb same as dvd about 30-40min dl time at max.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]techguy911[/nom]There are some of us who bought the blu-ray and still can't play it because of the length of time it takes for firmware updates to fix this.drm is useless all it does is cause problems for people who buy it not the pirates.[/citation]
Indeed. But it also requires more complicated hardware, that supports DRM crap, and also requires manufacturers of the mentioned hardware to pay license fee.

This world is corrupted by commercial greediness...

Status
Not open for further replies.