[SOLVED] AVR vs UPS for treadmills?

3jackdaw

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
Hello,

First off, I apologize in advance if my question is not PC related. It is however hardware related and I do have a PC question attached to this question as well

I wanted to know if buying a outlet direct surge protector would suffice for my treadmill? Opposed to buying a 1000VA-3000VA AVR?
The person from my handy-store told me I should get the AVR, which makes sense since I said we were prone to fluctuations. But from my understanding, the surge protector should be able to protect my treadmill from that, right?
I do understand it would shut it off, but my question mainly is; does that harm my treadmill or even my desktop?

Currently my desktop is plugged into an AVR --- which seems to work fine but I do feel my AVR is about to fail on me and I'm planning just to buy a surge protector. PC wise, its not a good idea I believe since the surge protector wont turn my pc back on.
But will it be just fine for a treadmill? AVRs are a bit prices above 500VA. As much as possible, I'd would not want to spend more since my equipment already costed me a lot this month.

anyway, thank you!

Solution
I would be concerned if the voltage coming in on your service is fluctuating significantly at all. If you are in the US and are seeing a change in service voltage you should probably contact your utility and/or an electrician.

Unplugging a tread mill from the wall isn't going to hurt it. Pretty much the same with any electric motor. I see no point at all in having a battery back up on a treadmill.
On a PC, IMO it's almost mandatory and in particular if you have frequent power failures or work from your PC.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
An AVR is AVR, a surge protector is surge protector. A good AVR would have some surge protection functionality, no surge protector would have automatic voltage regulation functionality. If a person who sold you the treadmill says that you need an AVR for it then you probably do, i don't know really. You don't need an AVR for your PC if you have a decent PSU in it.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would be concerned if the voltage coming in on your service is fluctuating significantly at all. If you are in the US and are seeing a change in service voltage you should probably contact your utility and/or an electrician.

Unplugging a tread mill from the wall isn't going to hurt it. Pretty much the same with any electric motor. I see no point at all in having a battery back up on a treadmill.
On a PC, IMO it's almost mandatory and in particular if you have frequent power failures or work from your PC.

Solution
Hello,

First off, I apologize in advance if my question is not PC related. It is however hardware related and I do have a PC question attached to this question as well

I wanted to know if buying a outlet direct surge protector would suffice for my treadmill? Opposed to buying a 1000VA-3000VA AVR?
The person from my handy-store told me I should get the AVR, which makes sense since I said we were prone to fluctuations. But from my understanding, the surge protector should be able to protect my treadmill from that, right?
I do understand it would shut it off, but my question mainly is; does that harm my treadmill or even my desktop?

Currently my desktop is plugged into an AVR --- which seems to work fine but I do feel my AVR is about to fail on me and I'm planning just to buy a surge protector. PC wise, its not a good idea I believe since the surge protector wont turn my pc back on.
But will it be just fine for a treadmill? AVRs are a bit prices above 500VA. As much as possible, I'd would not want to spend more since my equipment already costed me a lot this month.

anyway, thank you!

Surge protectors protect from surges.

AVR bucks and boosts unstable voltages.

UPSs will click over to battery if the power drops out.

AVR's are pretty useless unless you have a VERY cheap power supply.

Most treadmill power supplies are like PC or even laptop power supplies and support full range, meaning you don't need an AVR unless your power drops all the way down to100V.

Can you tell us what kind of treadmill you have? Does it have a label on it that says what the power requirement is (every powered product should have this by law)? And what kind of PSU do you have in your PC?

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

anyway, thank you!
A treadmill is a high in-rush current device. Large (1/2 hp) electric motors are not good choices for UPS. It would depend on the type of AVR whether it can handle a large motor.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Prone to fluctuations can mean a couple of things. A blackout is entirely different to a brownout.

Most good UPS come with AVR and surge protection. The AVR protecting against voltage deviations like high or low line voltages and the battery protecting against blackouts.

It's a treadmill. My wife plugs hers in, uses it, unplug when she's done. She doesn't use it during storms, so voltages are pretty consistent during usage periods. Doesn't exactly require a UPS or AVR or surge protection.

As far as line AVR goes, you'd only really need something like that if your line voltage was erratic, like constant dips to 100/200v etc even during nice weather. In which case I'd be a lot more concerned about the TV and pc than a treadmill.

I'd not stick a treadmill on a battery backup UPS. A 1/2HP motor will suck that battery dry in under a minute, be like trying to start a car using the 12v battery from a cordless drill.

Last edited:

3jackdaw

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
Hello everyone. Thank you all for your responses.

I think I have failed to give the exact nature of my problem. Our house does suffer from fluctuations time to time the power would go up and down and I was hoping an AVR or simply just a surge protector would help protect my equipment. I really dont mind turning it on again if it does shut down --- my main concern is which device can protect my treadmill the most. AVR or surge protector because I am worried it could eventually break because of the on/off situation. I would say in a week I would have 3-4 surges maybe 5. Again, I understand surges are for surges and AVR's are for instability of power source. I am hoping tho, that a surge protector would be enough since it is the cheaper option. But if not, I will happily just buy the AVR.

I dont unplug my treadmill but it does have a power source switch at the base of it which I turn on when not in use.

The treadmill im using, im guessing you dont have in the US. I live in south east asia (Philippines) This brand is one of the more affordable ones so quality is a tad bit questionable but it does have a good reputation. I couldn't find an actual complete spec sheet online so I just took a photo of the manual.

Brand: Ovicx Smartrun

View: https://imgur.com/a/4HgXFVS

In case my link dont work:

Rated Voltage 220v
Rated Power 560w
Speed 1-12km/h

Thanks again