Discussion Awaiting Moderator Approval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellowas

Commendable
Aug 26, 2020
Hi, I've been wondering about the 'awaiting moderator approval' system.

I understand that the purpose of it is to deter spam from bots or malicious users, but is there a statistic threshold for when it starts to exempt users or are all users affected regardless of how long they have been a member of Tom's Hardware and how many constructive comments/threads they created?

Sometimes, whenever I need to fix a few mistakes or typos I've made in my comments via editing, I have to wait longer than approximately three or more hours to get approval from a Moderator which draws out a topic (if someone was waiting on a response but gave up to do something else). If it does continue to affect everyone regardless of their statistics, is it possible to have it automated by an A.I. Moderator?

Solution
Hi,

This is an anti-spam feature. I'm not sure of the exact post count where it goes away but its somewhere around 15-20, also though it is dependent on frequency as well. For example if you created an account in 2015 posted 50 times, then disappeared until 2022 you'll end up back in the approval queue.

This forum would be overrun with spam if we didn't have these features in place. Even with them spam gets through sometimes. Apologies for the inconvenience but if it makes you feel any better you most likely won't have this restriction much longer.
IMO, that's the anti-SPAM feature. Sometimes threads get flagged for Moderator approval, or are put in a queue.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, this only happens if you edit/modify a thread after it has been posted, but this should stop happening once you have a high post count in your profile (no of messages posted here in this forum). Maybe some new users need an approval prior to posting ? Once you have enough post count/messages, then this should stop happening.

Though, I'm not 100% sure about this.

Approval time depends on how many Forum MODS are currently active in the forum. TOM's HW's moderation team is mostly in the US, so if you edit a post and you live in some other time zone/country, then you need to wait a bit longer. I don't think any AI MOD feature can do all this automatically, or this will even work properly.

The post needs to reviewed by a person in charge of this forum, moderator that is.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hi,

This is an anti-spam feature. I'm not sure of the exact post count where it goes away but its somewhere around 15-20, also though it is dependent on frequency as well. For example if you created an account in 2015 posted 50 times, then disappeared until 2022 you'll end up back in the approval queue.

This forum would be overrun with spam if we didn't have these features in place. Even with them spam gets through sometimes. Apologies for the inconvenience but if it makes you feel any better you most likely won't have this restriction much longer.

Solution

Ellowas

Commendable
Aug 26, 2020
Hi,

Thanks for the answers and clarification~

I'm completely okay with it existing and its intended purpose—no complaints from me beyond it kind of slowing down discussion (depending on when Moderators are available, I assume). The requirements for being removed from the approval queue was all I wanted to know and the additional information about what would throw us back into the approval queue was just as insightful as well, so now I know what to expect whenever I leave the website for some time then return.

Thanks again!

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Status
Not open for further replies.