Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I wanted to update the BIOS on my Abit IS-10 to version 16. I had 12 on there already. So I went through the normal routine and everything went fine. The next time I turned the thing on I got the following message:

Award Bootblock BIOS blah blah blah
BIOS ROM checksum error
Detecting floppy drive A media...
INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

In order to get it to boot I had to reflash the BIOS. If I go to reboot I get the same BIOS ROM checksum error. I have the RAM timings set to SPD. I actually backed off the timings to the slowest settings and I still get the error. I flashed back to version 12 and all is fine. Now, in version 12 you can turn off Bootblock. Version 16 doesn't give you that option. WTF? Did Abit drop the ball on this one?

You've tried and failed. The lesson here is, never try again. -- Homer Simpson.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
*UPDATE* All is NOT fine when I flashed back to version 12. I still get that fookin' error. Did I miss something?

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
*Pulls hair out in a single clump*

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! I've tried every BIOS version. I still get that error. I've swapped out RAM. No dice. Any ideas? Anyone?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Certain types of POST failures will bring up that message, I'd try resetting BIOS and see if it boots up.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I tried that. I tried everything. I think it's shot. Bad flash. First time I've ever had that happen. As I've been searching the web for a solution it would appear that I'm not alone. So I don't feel so bad.

I decided to send the BIOS chip out to <A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/tmod/index.htm" target="_new">Tmod</A> and hope for the best.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's odd, because it seems like if it was still allowing you to FLASH, you'd eventually have a GOOD one!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
You would think that. It's actually pretty weird. I would flash the BIOS (old or new I tried them all) and it would POST and boot to Windows. Then I would restart it and I would get the checksum error and it wouldn't POST. Even after I reset the CMOS and flashed the BIOS, if I got it to POST I would turn off Bootblock and would still get the checksum error on the restart.