[SOLVED] Azza 802 Case Thermals / Potentially killing GPUs

Oct 21, 2020
Okay, so at the time of writing this, I am now RMA'ing my third GPU due to stuttering mid-game, all built into this Azza 802 Cube case. It always takes me about 1-2 months of constant use of each new GPU and then this problem happens, right on schedule each time. None of my other 4 rigs have any similar issues at all. About 2 months ago, I had taken apart the entire original build that I had in that case and built a whole new build into the 802 Cube case, save for the PSU and AIO. Boom, same exact problem happened a few weeks ago. The first build I had in there was a Ryzen 3970X Threadripper which was getting very hot, so I replaced it with a Ryzen 5800X and whole new motherboard and even tried new RAM. I monitor the CPU and GPU temps during gameplay and pretty much at all times, ensuring that each of them never get above high 70s after hours of gameplay in demanding games like CoD Warzone or Destiny 2. That being said, I wouldn't think that the GPU being in the high 70s would cause a permanent issue. Is it possible that this case is cooking the GPU and causing these performance issues?

Case: Azza 802 Cube
Motherboard: ASUS AMD AM4 ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA, OVERCLOCKED, 2.75 Slot Extreme Cool Dual, 70C Gaming, RGB, Metal Backplate, 11G-P4-2383-KR, 11GB GDDR6
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-28800 DDR4 3600 CL16-19-19-39 1.35V Dual Channel Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Main Drive: SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III 2.5" SSD 2TB (MZ-77Q2T0B)
Secondary Drive: Seagate Firecuda 520 1TB Performance Internal Solid State Drive SSD PCIe Gen4 X4 NVMe
AIO: ASUS ROG Strix LC 240 RGB White Edition All-in-one Liquid CPU Cooler
Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27" WQHD (2560x1440) NVIDIA G-SYNC IPS Monitor, (Display Port & HDMI Port, 144Hz)

Last edited:
Solution
2080 Ti is safe at up to 85°C, AFAIK. It's not as hot as 1080 Ti to boot.

I looked at the case and it seems airflow is good enough; one fan right in front of GPU and one exhaust at the back. Your temps of sub 80 is pretty normal, if toasty.

Few questions: is the VRM temp on GPU okay? How about the motherboard's?
Is the issue consistent with even a fresh Windows install with the same updates as the one with issues right now?
Any dips in clocks/wattage during the stuttering?

If anything, those are my guesses if I were in your shoes. Otherwise, maybe the GPU was tad too close to its thermal limit but I can't be sure. It shouldn't cook itself, not even in 1-2 months.

Or it's the PSU. Farfetched guess, but I don't see your PSU in the...

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014

I looked at the case and it seems airflow is good enough; one fan right in front of GPU and one exhaust at the back. Your temps of sub 80 is pretty normal, if toasty.

Is the issue consistent with even a fresh Windows install with the same updates as the one with issues right now?

If anything, those are my guesses if I were in your shoes. Otherwise, maybe the GPU was tad too close to its thermal limit but I can't be sure. It shouldn't cook itself, not even in 1-2 months.

Or it's the PSU. Farfetched guess, but I don't see your PSU in the listed spec.

Solution
Oct 21, 2020

Thank you for the reply!

Sorry I forgot the PSU, it's this one here: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5, 80 Plus Gold 1000W, Fully Modular
I've done multiple refreshes of Windows install and have run DDU + reinstalled drivers multiple times.
To check VRM temps and MoBo temps, as well as dips in clocks/wattage, I would need to get back to you on that - what program do you recommend to do this best, presumably using an in-game overlay? I currently have CAM, but I've heard CPU-Z works well.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Thank you for the reply!

Sorry I forgot the PSU, it's this one here: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5, 80 Plus Gold 1000W, Fully Modular
I've done multiple refreshes of Windows install and have run DDU + reinstalled drivers multiple times.
To check VRM temps and MoBo temps, as well as dips in clocks/wattage, I would need to get back to you on that - what program do you recommend to do this best, presumably using an in-game overlay? I currently have CAM, but I've heard CPU-Z works well.

Don't think you should worry about the PSU, seems alright to me.

I see most people use RTSS, and expand on the overlay monitoring to show such values. I use logged HwInfo but that's janky since I have to look at the data manually. RTSS is much easier to use.

MB VRM is easy to monitor, but not sure about GPU VRM. Some GPUs report the values but a lot of them don't; they don't have the sensor for that.

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020

Good catching the PSU.