B&H Photo Laptop Buying Experience

I recently purchased a Lenovo ThinkPad from B&H Photo. I paid $929.66 after taxes. I wasn't satisfied with it because the mousepad was innacurate (even after udpates) and there were sharp plastic edges on the front that scrape my hands when I use the mousepad. Overall, very uncomfortable.

Anyways, come to find out B&H Photo has a no-eturn policy on laptops (among other things.) I requested the return the very same day I received the laptop, and they approved my return with a 15% restocking fee.

Afterwards, I went to Best Buy and they had a Lenovo Thinkpad on display. It wasn't the exact same model, but it had a similar price tag and the exact same out shell/case. It did not have any sharp edges and the mousepad was actually accurate.

So, I call them up and tell them I think my laptop is defective. I'm palced on hold. They return and say they checked and Best Buy doesn't sell that same laptop, but they can give me a 10% restocking fee instead of 15%. I say okay, but what if I purchased another laptop from B&H Photo? Would I still have to pay a restocking fee? I'm placed on hold. They return and say yes I can exchange the laptop for a different product or receive in-store credit. I say I need a laptop but I'm unsure which one I want, so just give me the in-store credit. They say they will send me an email with the new details.

Later, I get the email and it still says a 15% restocking fee will be deducted from my in-store credit. I call them back and tell them I was told otherwise, and they basically tell me they don't do returns on laptops but they will give me a return with a 15% restocking fee. When I try to explain I believe the laptop is defective they continue to tell me that's not the normal procedure for troubleshooting and that the return was originally setup as "item not as expected". They also tell me that waiving the restocking fee just doesn't make sense for them so they can't do something that doesn't make sense. They never offered to troubleshoot the laptop to test for defectiveness.

If I hadn't already mailed the laptop back with the original return label, I might have taken the issue up with Lenovo. Though I doubt they could do anything about it.

I added up my total purchased from B&H Photo over the past 3 years I've been doing business with them and it totals $5,994.13

Also, my girlfriend recently bought a Lenovo Yoga from Lenovo.com and they have a 30 day full refund policy.

My thoughts, if their little money on one exchange is more important than a one-time issue for a customer, then it doesn't make sense for me to shop at a store that has a zero-return policy, at least for anything that has a zero-return policy. But the principle of the matter makes me want to avoid them altogether.

I'm sure most of you have had great experience with B&H Photo; as I have had as well up until now.

Am I being ridiculous in thinking that they should have at least offered to check the laptop for being defective, or at least given me the 10% restocking fee they told me they could give me previously? Have I come to expect too much from stores that are not Amazon or Walmart? I know they have no-return policies on certain items, but certainly not on laptops.

Last edited:

RealBeast

Titan
I've not had any issues with B&H Photo (yet).

If I were in your spot, I would contact my credit card people and dispute the entire initial charge. If you have a decent card (like my Capital One Business Visa), you can then explain all of that to them in writing and they will reject the charge. The merchant then gets to respond and you get to reply to their response.

My card has never done other than to side with me, as I've always been fair, as you have been IMO.

Reactions: MrN1ce9uy
I used my debit card, so it may not be that easy to dispute. I could though, but B&H's website states they have a no-return policy on laptops, and for defective items they can exchange it for the same item at their discretion. Are you saying that even with that, you would still dispute the charge?

So I chose not to make any more fuss about it. I simply chose to use other retailers to place my orders. I have people that pay me to build computers for them, and one client, in particular, pays big bucks for his computers. Yesterday, I placed a $3500 (after taxes) order with Newegg instead of B&H for one complete list of PC parts. I typically go with B&H because of their free expedited shipping. But, I decided to go with Newegg because they take PayPal and I've never had issues with their customer service. I think I've had my account with Newegg far longer (~10 years) than I have had an account with B&H Photo (~3 years). For future reference though, I need to get a credit card for these purchases.

The laptop was personal though. I was using federal student loan money for that because I want/need a laptop to be able to do homework and other self-learning work while not at my main desk. I really hate that B&H is so strict on their laptop return policy. Even then, their customer service completely failed to acknowledge or even believe that my laptop could have been defective. They acted as if I was making it up.

Yr3YWYh.png

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($484.99)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($70.99)
Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Taichi ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($229.99)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($319.99)
Storage: Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($179.99)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($499.99)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($74.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($145.00)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm Fan ($21.95)
Custom: Intel SSD SSDPED1D480GAX1 900P 480GB AIC PCIe 4.0 20nm 3D XPoint brown Box ($469.99)
Custom: Intel SSD SSDPED1D480GAX1 900P 480GB AIC PCIe 4.0 20nm 3D XPoint brown Box ($469.99)
Total: $3241.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-28 21:24 EDT-0400

Last edited:
Some people say NewEgg support is bad, but I disagree.

I put together my PC and it wouldn't boot. I spent weeks RMA psu 2 times until I figured out the issue. (a fan splitter from NZXT must have been tripping the OCP on my psu)

When I booted I found out I had an MSI motherboard with a dead DIMM. Contacted MSI and they helped me through troubleshooting and came to the conclusion my motherboard was the issue. Their support reps really knew what they were doing and instructed me to use memtest x86 to ensure the ram wasn't the issue. The problem was MSI would accept the RMA, but they wanted me to pay return shipping. Not happening since its their fault the motherboard was defective.

Called up Newegg and the agent informed me that I was weeks past my 30-day guarantee. Rats. I explained the situation to her and she let me return the out of guarantee board for in-store credit. I paid no return shipping or restocking fee and use the credit to buy the board I have now. Very kind support rep that actually was better about out of guarantee RMA than MSI RMA with a board under warranty.

Problem solved. Once I found the issue NewEgg was great about returns.

bandhphoto

Distinguished
Official Forum Representative
Jul 20, 2012
I recently purchased a Lenovo ThinkPad from B&H Photo. I paid $929.66 after taxes. I wasn't satisfied with it because the mousepad was innacurate (even after udpates) and there were sharp plastic edges on the front that scrape my hands when I use the mousepad. Overall, very uncomfortable.
B&H Order Number: 814460220
I am very sorry for your dissatisfaction. Based on your account I have asked customer service to adjust your restock fee from 15% to 10%. Our return policy is on our site at https://bhpho.to/2LDPiuS and says, in part, "Nonreturnable Items ... Opened computers and computer software — original packaging cannot be unsealed." Despite this, return authorization was issued and emailed to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: NightHawkRMX
B&H Order Number: 814460220
I am very sorry for your dissatisfaction. Based on your account I have asked customer service to adjust your restock fee from 15% to 10%. Our return policy is on our site at https://bhpho.to/2LDPiuS and says, in part, "Nonreturnable Items ... Opened computers and computer software — original packaging cannot be unsealed." Despite this, return authorization was issued and emailed to you.
You may have asked them, but they didn't do it. I just got the refund authorization which still had the 15% restocking fee deducted.

The bottom line is no one should ever but a laptop from B&H Photo, because they have no gauruntee and a no return policy.

I don't think i would buy through a retailer without any warranty on DOA or faulty products.

To be fair, a restocking fee is commonplace. I havent dealt with this personally but my brother bought a monitor from newegg and it was doa. They wanted to charge him 15%. He argued with them its their fault its doa and they dropped the fee.

@bandhphoto even eBay has a 30 day guarentee on everything, even used items. I find no guarentee completely unacceptable with a new product. I get this is likely not up to you, but my point still stands.

One place I haven't had problems from Amazon. Free shipping on a ton of things and returns are simple. Hit a button and drop off the item at a ups store. No charge at all, not even for shipping.

Even further, I believe that extends to all products purchased from B&H Photo. Not just laptops.

I understand and agree with restocking fees, and I was willing to pay mine up until I realized the laptop might be defective.