[SOLVED] B150M Mortar Arctic + M.2 Compatibility

Jul 18, 2019
Hello all,

Due to the many types of B150 chipset mbs out there, I had to make a new topic about this one specifically. Currently thinking of upgrading from my old 2.5" SATA SSD to an M.2.

Question is this: Would the B150 Mortar Arctic (link #1) be compatible with this SSD (link #2)?

Link #1: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B150M-MORTAR-ARCTIC/Specification)

Link #2: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-ROCKET-1TB/dp/B07LGF54XR

From what I gather, it should since the doc for the motherboard checks the boxes. It supports its 2280 form factor, supports the M.2 Key M and PCIe 3.0 x4. The only thing I'm unsure of is the NVMe aspect.

These new storage technologies have been developed faster than I can inform myself on them. But from what I have managed to read, it seems possible to simply run the Sabrent SSD in PCIe mode instead of running it in NVMe mode?

Thanks for your help.

Solution
Just clarifying, M2 is the form factor. 2280 is the length of the M2.
The Key is then just the physical connector to the host.

The M.2 you've stated is an NVMe Gen 3, and the board is Gen3 x4 PCIe, so should work fine.
Just remember that SATA1 port will be unavailable when the M.2 SATA module is installed in M.2 slot (M2_1).

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Just clarifying, M2 is the form factor. 2280 is the length of the M2.
The Key is then just the physical connector to the host.

The M.2 you've stated is an NVMe Gen 3, and the board is Gen3 x4 PCIe, so should work fine.
Just remember that SATA1 port will be unavailable when the M.2 SATA module is installed in M.2 slot (M2_1).

Solution
Jul 18, 2019
Thanks for the quick reply ;)

Ok so then it would work in PCIe mode or SATA? I was under the impression that this SSD is either PCIe or NVMe but since the board doesn't natively support NVMe, the SSD would simply default to PCIe x4.

And I thought I knew about computers XD

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks for the quick reply ;)

Ok so then it would work in PCIe mode or SATA? I was under the impression that this SSD is either PCIe or NVMe but since the board doesn't natively support NVMe, the SSD would simply default to PCIe x4.

And I thought I knew about computers XD
NVMe basically is PCIe.
SATA is SATA.

NVMe uses PCIe bus.
SATA uses SATA bus.