Jun 25, 2024
Hi everyone, I am a new member
So I have a ryzen 5 2600x and MSI B450 Pro Carbon AC motherboard, so one day all of a sudden, my PC fails to boot and the vga debug led in the motherboard lights up and I get no signal on my monitor. I thought that my GPU has died and to confirm this I took my GPU to a PC shop nearby and the GPU gave display output there, then I took out an ancient GT710 from my old PC and tried it in my motherboard and it showed the same error.
I tried booting with just one stick of RAM, clearing the CMOS, but still the VGA Led lights up in the motherboard. So I took my PC to the shop and they put my processor in another motherboard and it booted and said that my motherboard is probably dead and need replacement.
So this is where I need help, B450 boards are very scarce here (India) and the ones available are very cheap entry level boards: edit: All prices are in INR
View: https://i.imgur.com/XpkARs1.jpeg

View: https://i.imgur.com/54MWkkH.jpeg

The shop I visited had an MSI B450 Tomahawk, I saw that it is a good board, but the box itself seemed very old and I doubt if it even has warranty.
I would have liked inbuilt Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, but that doesn't seem like a choice that I can make.
Anyways what are my options here, what can I consider, will these cheap boards be fine, I think that they'll probably run fine stock with my 2600x, but I was hoping to upgrade my CPU down the line and with these boards I am not confident whether these boards can handle it.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
B450 boards are very scarce here (India) and the ones available are very cheap entry level boards
If all you're after is something to keep your 2600x alive for a few months before tossing it, then a cheap entry level board is the way to go.
but I was hoping to upgrade my CPU down the line and with these boards I am not confident whether these boards can handle it.
If it was me I wouldn't mess around with an upgrade here and upgrade there with such an old CPU. You could get a B550 board for your latter query, but might as well get a new CPU at the same time. (PS: see post above)

Honestly, anything Ryzen 3000 series and up will blow away the 2600x in performance.

Reactions: balagopalrk

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
2600x doesnt work in b550 motherboards only 3000 series and up

i've seen that officially said as well. but i have seen many many people who have a 2600x on a b550 with no issues. i've not done it myself, but enough show it working without issue to convince myself that it would work.

but as said above, if you are thinking of upgrading the cpu anyway, now would be a good time to do both so you are not faced with this decision. i see the 5600(x) for decent price on the website you used above.

the low end b450 is more than enough for a 2600x but if you chose to go with a 5000 series down the line you will start running into problems.

Jun 25, 2024
If all you're after is something to keep your 2600x alive for a few months before tossing it, then a cheap entry level board is the way to go.

If it was me I wouldn't mess around with an upgrade here and upgrade there with such an old CPU. You could get a B550 board for your latter query, but might as well get a new CPU at the same time. (PS: see post above)

Honestly, anything Ryzen 3000 series and up will blow away the 2600x in performance.
Thank You for the inputs.
Before my board dying my plan was to transfer my 2600x to a cheaper board and set the PC for my parents as an Office PC and upgrade to a 3000 or 5000. But with my board dying, whatever I have saved up will not be enough to do get two new boards and a new CPU, and I did not need an upgrade right now, that's why I was sort of looking at my options.

atm there are some cheap ryzen 4000 tray cpus floating around the internet

AMD Ryzen 3 4100

AMD Ryzen 5 4500

pair that with a b550

i've seen that officially said as well. but i have seen many many people who have a 2600x on a b550 with no issues. i've not done it myself, but enough show it working without issue to convince myself that it would work.

but as said above, if you are thinking of upgrading the cpu anyway, now would be a good time to do both so you are not faced with this decision.

the low end b450 is more than enough for a 2600x but if you chose to go with a 5000 series down the line you will start running into problems.

i can confirm that it doesnt with most some boards may unofficially support it but its a lottery.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
too bad your in india, i got a b450 board collecting dust i'd happily sell ya nice n cheap to get it out of my house. :)

have you looked at used options around you for this temp board? might be good enough for you for now so you can continue to save for the new cpu/mobo combo. might be able to save a good bit and still be able to hand it down to the parents when you upgrade.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Thank You for the inputs.
Before my board dying my plan was to transfer my 2600x to a cheaper board and set the PC for my parents as an Office PC and upgrade to a 3000 or 5000. But with my board dying, whatever I have saved up will not be enough to do get two new boards and a new CPU, and I did not need an upgrade right now, that's why I was sort of looking at my options.
Sounds like the computer made the decision for you. It's new computer time for you after you give the 2600x to your family with a replacement MB.

Unfortunately that's just how it rolls sometimes. I had a Ryzen 1600 that blew up. Didn't have any way to figure out if it was the CPU or the motherboard. More time and cost effective to just swap out the entire CPU+MB combo.

Jun 25, 2024
too bad your in india, i got a b450 board collecting dust i'd happily sell ya nice n cheap to get it out of my house. :)

have you looked at used options around you for this temp board? might be good enough for you for now so you can continue to save for the new cpu/mobo combo. might be able to save a good bit and still be able to hand it down to the parents when you upgrade.
Would have loved to get my hands on a used B450 boards. Solve all my problems right now.

The used market here is very weird, too high prices and not a lot of stuff actually available. There is no ebay here, so finding stuff itself is a hassle.

Jun 25, 2024
Sounds like the computer made the decision for you. It's new computer time for you after you give the 2600x to your family with a replacement MB.

Unfortunately that's just how it rolls sometimes. I had a Ryzen 1600 that blew up. Didn't have any way to figure out if it was the CPU or the motherboard. More time and cost effective to just swap out the entire CPU+MB combo.
Seems like that's the only way here.
Any suggestions on which is a decent B450 board I can get from the images I uploaded.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i can understand that issue. not much you can do if there is no real used marketplace.

i guess last resort there would be to check local pc shop and see if they have one they'd sell you.

otherwise, the low end b450 would be good enough overall, assuming you will get a new board with a new cpu for yourself. that way wondering if a newer cpu would work well on it, won't really be a concern.

seems like the best you got really.

Jun 25, 2024
i can understand that issue. not much you can do if there is no real used marketplace.

i guess last resort there would be to check local pc shop and see if they have one they'd sell you.

otherwise, the low end b450 would be good enough overall, assuming you will get a new board with a new cpu for yourself. that way wondering if a newer cpu would work well on it, won't really be a concern.

seems like the best you got really.
If I can get that MSI Tomahawk at a cheaper price at the local shop I might go for it.

Will the lower end B450 affect performance of my 2600x in anyway, I do occasionally game on it still and was just wondering whether the lower end boards have any issues of that sorts, I do not overclock, enabling XMP is the only thing that I usually do.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Seems like that's the only way here.
Any suggestions on which is a decent B450 board I can get from the images I uploaded.
Had a look at your list, there's not much distinguishing them from each other between price, RAM slots, and number of ports. The VRMs on all these boards are very basic, but functional. No one has done a formal comparison review on YouTube or otherwise - most of them are for 'gaming' boards.

So I'd just choose based on price, features, and seller's after sales support.

(PS I'd avoid that Ant Value one - never heard of them myself.)
(PPS it was a Gigabyte D-series 'Ultra Durable' that fried itself with my Ryzen 1600. So I'm not keen on Gigabyte after that.)

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the AsRock pro 4 and steel legend are the only of those i have used. both worked for their purpose. think 3000 series is what i used them for. no issues with the low power cpu's.

the 2600x is pretty low power so you'll be ok gaming on it and such. just don't try for any world record OC

If I can get that MSI Tomahawk at a cheaper price at the local shop I might go for it.

Will the lower end B450 affect performance of my 2600x in anyway, I do occasionally game on it still and was just wondering whether the lower end boards have any issues of that sorts, I do not overclock, enabling XMP is the only thing that I usually do.

msi in general i would avoid there prone to more problems then most at least from what ive seen on toms hardware. and from my own experiance

gigabyte/asrock/asus. would recomend one with heatsinks.

ASUS AMD PRIME B450M-A II would be what i would go with mainly due to once you put a decent gpu ( 2 slot only max you would still have enough room to install a wifi slot card pci e at the bottom.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2024
the AsRock pro 4 and steel legend are the only of those i have used. both worked for their purpose. think 3000 series is what i used them for. no issues with the low power cpu's
I was also looking at the steel legend but saw comments saying it had a faulty type c port. Anything of that sort in your board?

Jun 25, 2024
msi in general i would avoid there prone to more problems then most at least from what ive seen on toms hardware. and from my own experiance
My other options are Gigabyte and Asrock. Gigabyte seems to have very average reviews online. Didn't know MSI had issues, most of the time I see them being lauded for their good vrms even in midrange boards.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
not that i have experienced. i'm sure someone out there had an issue, but i don't recall any major problem with the line as a whole.

i've enjoyed the few AsRock boards i have used for ryzen. b450 and b550 so far.

by far though i have used more Gigabyte boards for ryzen. they've been stable and quality for me so far. the b450 i have spare is an Aorus pro wifi and i am currently using a x570s aorus elite ax. that pro wifi i actually used for multiple builds at the time and all are still going strong.

had my 5900x in it before getting the x570s for it for the extra m.2 and pcie slots.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
My other options are Gigabyte and Asrock. Gigabyte seems to have very average reviews online. Didn't know MSI had issues, most of the time I see them being lauded for their good vrms even in midrange boards.
As I added in postscript above... I had a Gigabyte B350 D-series "Ultra Durable" that fried itself with a Ryzen 1600. So I've avoided Gigabyte ever since. They also have really buggy vendor software.

MSI have been known to experience failures in the thermal slow mode switch, which can lead to BD PROCHOT errors. Rare problem, but annoying when it happens.

msi as far back as lga 1150 from my experience had always had memory issues and just straight up dieing unexplained after like a year or 2.

gigabyte ive owned 3 all still kicking.

ive made 3 asrock builds none have come back.

asus had issues with fan headers on amd side but thats long been fixed.

As I added in postscript above... I had a Gigabyte B350 D-series "Ultra Durable" that fried itself with a Ryzen 1600. So I've avoided Gigabyte ever since. They also have really buggy vendor software.

MSI have been known to experience failures in the thermal slow mode switch, which can lead to BD PROCHOT errors. Rare problem, but annoying when it happens.

b 350 chipsets from my experiance where a bit of a problem child my asrock b350 didnt fry it itself but just simply died lol nothing was damaged just completely stopped dead half way threw a download lol.

seen plenty of them randomly killing themselves all vendors lol

Jun 23, 2024
If you end up buying a used B450 board or something close to it, make sure that it has not been given a bios update that would make using your CPU not compatible. I know for my X470 Asus, when I updated to a 5800X3D that it would from that point on, not work with anything below a 3000.

Jun 25, 2024
If you end up buying a used B450 board or something close to it, make sure that it has not been given a bios update that would make using your CPU not compatible. I know for my X470 Asus, when I updated to a 5800X3D that it would from that point on, not work with anything below a 3000.
Thank you for the tip, will look into it.