thereaper_28

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Hi guys, my system is 2 months old and was running quite smoothly until one day my Windows got stuck for 15 minutes by Shutdown so I forcefully shut it down directly on the power button of the case.
On the other day my main SSD Drive (M.2 Kingston A2000 - also new) wasn't being recognized. After flashing the MB BIOS to the newest version, it coincidentally had the problem fixed, that is until the next day when I turned on the PC and the same problem occured, which keeps repeating on a daily basis. I have to first use the computer for a couple of hours booting with the OS of my secondary SSD (SATA), restart it, shut it down a couple of times and ONLY THEN the SSD will again be recognized by the BIOS and the system boot normally. Flashing the BIOS doesn't help to solve it faster.
I also did reseat the SSD the first time the problem occured. Restarting/shutting down dozens of times while cold didn't help either

My guess is that by the forced shutdown either my MB or SSD got damaged and for some reason the NVME SSD will get recognized only after the system gets warm enough.

I'm running Windows 10, have a 3600X, a 5700 XT, PSU be quite! Pure Power 500W

Aug 27, 2020
Hello thereaper_28,

I got the same problem. My (end of July) newly built computer worked fine until 3 days ago.
Suddenly the bios didn't recognize the M.2 when booting.

• MSI B450M Pro-VDH Max
  • Kingston SA2000M8/1000G M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • 560 Watt Fractal Design ION+ 560P

After some trials with pressing the power button for a few seconds to reset / reboot it worked
again. The first 2 -3 reboots ran into the same problem but then it finally booted up into windows.

This procedure now repeats every day.

I checked the ssd with Kingston SSD Manager. It reports 0 errors - all fine.
So I am convinced that the root cause is with the motherboard. But I have no idea what exactly
as the system wasn't changed and ran perfectly for ~ 3 - 4 weeks.

Maybe someone else can help.

thereaper_28

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Hello thereaper_28,

I got the same problem. My (end of July) newly built computer worked fine until 3 days ago.
Suddenly the bios didn't recognize the M.2 when booting.

• MSI B450M Pro-VDH Max
  • Kingston SA2000M8/1000G M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • 560 Watt Fractal Design ION+ 560P
After some trials with pressing the power button for a few seconds to reset / reboot it worked
again. The first 2 -3 reboots ran into the same problem but then it finally booted up into windows.

This procedure now repeats every day.

I checked the ssd with Kingston SSD Manager. It reports 0 errors - all fine.
So I am convinced that the root cause is with the motherboard. But I have no idea what exactly
as the system wasn't changed and ran perfectly for ~ 3 - 4 weeks.

Maybe someone else can help.

Hi Surfer!

So, similarly to what you reported, only pressing the power button in a certain manner has made the booting through the M.2 SSD more probable. I press it very slowly until the end and then let go of it before the system shuts down.

Now onto the real thing: I've confirmed that the problem is with my M.2 SSD. CrystalDisk shows 100% as well for it, but I managed to get a new SSD and it functions so far flawlessly. So I highly recommend at least testing with another M.2 SSD.

Best regards