Question B550 / d0 Error Code; Possible causes and solutions ?

Sep 21, 2023
Hi. I'm new so pardon my candor, I wasn't sure what category to put this under? I figured 'systems' since that what I'm discussing here.

First, let me amuse You by saying that you're not going to believe how this happened, but it did. I've been working on updating my new system all day, but I got called away and I got into a heated argument with someone, I won't go into it, but it was pretty negative. Then I came back into the house and my system was stating that it needed to restart to update, so I go over to the power section and get ready to hit restart, but I slipped and I hit something else? I didn't get the 'splash restart' screen, the computer shut down and the screen went dark and that was it. So I turned the power back on and I'm not getting even getting a splash screen so I can no longer even enter into the BIOS. I've tried several times turning the power off, disconecting the power, trying to get the system to boot and I'm getting nothing, nothing from the GPU, no splash screen to enter into the BIOS, just this 'dO' error code on the mobo. Now I'm P.O.'d at my neighbor because I'm getting the idea that the negative energy he dumped on me fried my computer... That or the Windows 11 update fried it, who knows?

So, I'm sitting here beside myself, because I dumped a lot of money and time into this build, and then this happens. CPU or no, I should be seeing a splash screen to enter the BIOS right?, but I'm not seeing that? So I'm here asking for solutions if anyone of you have happened to have similar experience and how you solved it?

I did manage to find this probable cause online
D0 – CPU initialization error: This usually indicates a problem with the CPU or socket, check the socket and CPU aren’t damaged and make sure the CPU is seated correctly. If the fault persists, try flashing your BIOS to the latest version and clearing the CMOS. If nothing helps then your CPU may be dead.

I just don't see how a keep it simple stupid update can fry a CPU? I've never heard of or seen anything like it before, have you? I would very much appreciate your input and expertise, or if you had a similar experience to what I'm experiencing and how you handled it. Thanks for your time fren.

My system is as follows
AMD 5600x
b550 Aorus Master
32gb Gskill
1tb NVME
xfx 6650xt
850w PSU

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

850w PSU
850 is the advertised wattage of the PSU. What is the make and model of the PSU?

Your motherboard has a Q-FLASH Plus option, try and reflash the BIOS for your motherboard with the latest BIOS and see if that revives your board.

Reactions: Bullets
Sep 21, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

850w PSU
850 is the advertised wattage of the PSU. What is the make and model of the PSU?

Your motherboard has a Q-FLASH Plus option, try and reflash the BIOS for your motherboard with the latest BIOS and see if that revives your board.
Will do fren, I'm planning on attacking it again over the weekend. I'm gonna attempt a BIOS flash and see if that corrects the problem, I'll update my results here.

The PSU I am using is a

DeepCool PX850G Power Supply 850w ATX 3.0 Fully Modular 80 PLUS Gold​

91oHH6CR83L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Sep 21, 2023
I didn't get around to flashing the BIOS this weekend due to bad weather and the fear of rolling black outs in our area here in TX.

A 'd0' error can be caused by anything, from a bad cable, a botched BIOS/OS update, to a dead mobo or CPU.

A 'd0' is basically telling you that you have to tear your entire system down, and start from scratch, testing all your components as you go, at least this is what many PC tech guys are saying. It's hit or miss, and there is no simple solution. If you are not skilled in troubleshooting this error, it is recommended to take it to a PC repair shop where they have the proper testing equipment to trace down the problem.

I'm going to try a few more solutions before I take it into a repair shop, if I find out the solution or what caused the error in the first place, I will be sure to update here... When I know, you'll know.

Sep 21, 2023
PROBLEM SOLVED!

First let me thank everyone who assisted in helping me find a solution.

I wound up taking my computer into a local mom and pop computer repair shop. I explained the situation and the next day got a call from Pop's, and he told me the problem was fixed.He got a splash screen and to the windows OS password screen.

When I asked what caused the d0 error code, he said these error codes could mean anything? More than likely its a component, like the mobo, CPU, RAM, etc. He went on to tell me he did a complete tear down, removing all the components basically resets them, so they're not holding any power or charge. He reassembled everything and it powered right on and he was able to get into Bios, and on a reboot from there got to the splash screen and OS.

Pop's advises that you do this first, do not flash your BIOS or reset the CMOS, that's a worst case scenario. It only cost me sixty bucks to have Pop's tear my computer down and rebuild it to get it working for me. Which was worth it considering I'm so busy at work I didn't have time to troubleshoot or work on it myself, sometimes its better to pay a professional because they have the time, tools, and know how.

Please note, that if you try this solution, and it doesn't work, it is advised you take your PC to a professional, they have a fresh pair of eyes and may catch something you might have missed. I hope this helps others who have the same problem, and again, thanks for everyone who assisted and commented.

Oct 6, 2023
PROBLEM SOLVED!

First let me thank everyone who assisted in helping me find a solution.

I wound up taking my computer into a local mom and pop computer repair shop. I explained the situation and the next day got a call from Pop's, and he told me the problem was fixed.He got a splash screen and to the windows OS password screen.

When I asked what caused the d0 error code, he said these error codes could mean anything? More than likely its a component, like the mobo, CPU, RAM, etc. He went on to tell me he did a complete tear down, removing all the components basically resets them, so they're not holding any power or charge. He reassembled everything and it powered right on and he was able to get into Bios, and on a reboot from there got to the splash screen and OS.

Pop's advises that you do this first, do not flash your BIOS or reset the CMOS, that's a worst case scenario. It only cost me sixty bucks to have Pop's tear my computer down and rebuild it to get it working for me. Which was worth it considering I'm so busy at work I didn't have time to troubleshoot or work on it myself, sometimes its better to pay a professional because they have the time, tools, and know how.

Please note, that if you try this solution, and it doesn't work, it is advised you take your PC to a professional, they have a fresh pair of eyes and may catch something you might have missed. I hope this helps others who have the same problem, and again, thanks for everyone who assisted and commented.

I'm happy you got it solved. Just curious, what did you search to find the shop? What kind of shop are we talking here?

Reactions: Bullets
Sep 21, 2023
I'm happy you got it solved. Just curious, what did you search to find the shop? What kind of shop are we talking here?
Just look up computer repair shops in your area. Yelp might be a good start, or even the local yellow pages. That's what I did, found a small shop in my area that fixes and sells computers, they're out there, and pretty affordable too.