Question B550 vs x570 motherboard - - - using both PCIe x16 slots and both M.2 slots for NVMe drives ?

Infikiran

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
So, I currently have an MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus motherboard with a Ryzen 7 5800x. The current issue I have, which I'm assuming is a chipset issue, is that if I use both M.2 slots for NVME drives, it disables the secondary PCIE slot and will not detect my 2nd GPU, so I'm forced to connect my 2nd SSD externally (which is much slower). I have two 2080TI's populating both slots (for 3D rendering, not so much gaming).

I recently got a pretty good deal on an ASUS TUF x570 motherboard/ Ryzen 9 5950x combo. I haven't received it yet but was curious if I was going to have this same limitation. To my understanding the x570 chipset has more lanes so in theory I should be able to populate both x16 PCIE slots and both M.2 slots without issue, right? I have a ton of high-res textures on my secondary SSD that take a long time to load and would be nice if I could run it internally on the faster bus.

So, I currently have an MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus motherboard with a Ryzen 7 5800x. The current issue I have, which I'm assuming is a chipset issue, is that if I use both M.2 slots for NVME drives, it disables the secondary PCIE slot and will not detect my 2nd GPU, so I'm forced to connect my 2nd SSD externally (which is much slower). I have two 2080TI's populating both slots (for 3D rendering, not so much gaming).

I recently got a pretty good deal on an ASUS TUF x570 motherboard/ Ryzen 9 5950x combo. I haven't received it yet but was curious if I was going to have this same limitation. To my understanding the x570 chipset has more lanes so in theory I should be able to populate both x16 PCIE slots and both M.2 slots without issue, right? I have a ton of high-res textures on my secondary SSD that take a long time to load and would be nice if I could run it internally on the faster bus.
Assuming you're talking about Asus TUF X570 PLUS....the only obvious limitation is the second PCIe x16 slot is wired for only 4 lanes although it does support PCIe gen 4 with a 5950X.

Another consideration is that while you can use both x16 slots, if you populate the top card with a 2.5-wide or triple-wide GPU (very common now-a-days, I don't know what a 2080ti is) the space to the card in the 2nd x16 slot will be very small and therefore seriously limit airflow into the GPU for cooling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Infikiran

Infikiran

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
Assuming you're talking about Asus TUF X570 PLUS....the only obvious limitation is the second PCIe x16 slot is wired for only 4 lanes although it does support PCIe gen 4 with a 5950X.

Another consideration is that while you can use both x16 slots, if you populate the top card with a 2.5-wide or triple-wide GPU (very common now-a-days, I don't know what a 2080ti is) the space to the card in the 2nd x16 slot will be very small and therefore seriously limit airflow into the GPU for cooling.
It's about the same spacing as my current board so it should be fine there. For what I use it for the x4 lanes should be fine. On the MSI b550 board I'm currently using, both cards seem to be fairly comparable in speed. The way the Iray rendering engine works, to my knowledge, as long as the scene fits in VRAM, the lane limitation isn't noticeable.

TRENDING THREADS