Question B550M Steel Legend - Out of the box support and other questions

Jul 24, 2024
Hey there, I'm new here.

I'm planning to building a new computer on my semester break in about 2 weeks. I have the part in my shopping cart right now but while researching for compatibility of certain components, I hold back from purchasing the part that I want apart from the one marked as (purchased). Before I ask the questions, here's my parts list related to this post
  • Motherboard - B550M Steel Legend
  • CPU - Ryzen 7 5700X3D
  • GPU - ASUS TUF 6700XT OC (purchased)
  • PSU - 750w

Here's the list of question that I have:
  1. Out of the box support for the CPU that I intended to use on my system
  2. If it is supported, how can I do that?
  3. If it is not supported:
    • Do I need another CPU that is supported to update the BIOS
    • Is there any other motherboard that support it out of the box in the same price range
  4. If this CPU paired with the GPU, what is the estimated PSU wattage requirement, will my be enough?

I tried asking the seller for the compatibility, but he said that the only way to find out, it that I need to buy the motherboard and check it myself. Got mostly the same answer when I ask a different seller.

I heard that this is a good combo. I only want to use the pc for university and playing games like Forza, Satisfactory, and Apex. I choose the 5700X3D mainly because of Satisfactory. Its one of those games that is CPU bound and the 3D v-cache improve the game performance a lot, so its a must for me. As for why I'm going AM4, the price of AM5 in my country is kind of mental right now and I'm on a strict budget.

I think that's all the question that I have. If more detailed explanation needed, I'm more that happy to provide it to you. Sorry for the long read.
Thank you

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

PSU - 750w
750W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the make and model of the unit and it's age?

B550M Steel Legend
If I were you(and since you haven't purchased the board yet), I'd look into a board that has a BIOS FlashBack button on it, to help you with flashing your BIOS. As it stands you will need BIOS version P2.80 before you can drop in that processor onto that processor socket. Where are you located, what is your budget on your remaining parts purchase and what is your preferred site for purchase?

Lutfij

Titan

PSU - 750w
750W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the make and model of the unit and it's age?

B550M Steel Legend
If I were you(and since you haven't purchased the board yet), I'd look into a board that has a BIOS FlashBack button on it, to help you with flashing your BIOS. As it stands you will need BIOS version P2.80 before you can drop in that processor onto that processor socket. Where are you located, what is your budget on your remaining parts purchase and what is your preferred site for purchase?

Solution
Jul 24, 2024

PSU - 750w

B550M Steel Legend

I'm sorry, i got the wattage wrong. I believe its a Cooler Master G700 first produced around 2022.

I'm from Malaysia and the only online store that's available to me is Lazada and Shopee, I preferred to use Shopee as it offered a cheaper price. As for my remaining budget, I still have around RM 3000 and the current part that I planned to buy fit the budget perfectly. Here's the complete list
Motherboard - B550m Steel Legends
CPU - AMD R7 5700X3D
GPU - ASUS TUF 6700XT OC
RAM - ADATA XPG SPECTRIX 3600MHZ (8GB x 2)
Storage - ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro
PSU - Cooler Master G700
Case - TECWARE NEXUS AIR M3

All of the part is brand new, except for the GPU. Also for the case, that is still not confirmed yet as the GPU is quite big and I'm afraid that it will not fit in the case.

I just found out that I can buy the motherboard with an option to update the bios with an extra RM 50 (~$10 ), is that the safest option? I don't mind that fee, less complicated for me and I can buy it right now. Or is it better for me to safe that money and use it for other parts