[SOLVED] b550m/x570m mobo with good gpu clearance

ghozt67

Commendable
Oct 23, 2018
Hello all, I would like to know if there are b550m and x570m mobos with good gpu width clearance like the b550m ds3h? I have concerns regarding gpus with backplates that cannot fit in matx mobos because of the ram clips that get in the way. Thanks in advance!

Solution
I've had a bad experience with the gigabyte b360m d3h...
Oh yeah...that motherboard looks like it's only good for a 1/2 length GPU as I think the extractors could interfere with it's PWB components, making it possible to scrape off a chip resistor for instance, and not just a backplate.

I'd probably have popped off the memory DIMM extractors to make one fit, though. They're not really necessary if you have an extractor on the opposite end of a DIMM socket.

This should be possible to avoid if you look for motherboards that put the GPU in the second PCIe slot location. You should be able to tell this by referring to pictures of the motherboard topside.

Lutfij

Titan
Since 2015, pretty much every board that is now made come with one side of the ram slots with latches that need to be opened, the other end is pin you just push down on. The board you're looking at here;
2020052010504669991538ef6ba587da6a38da1da4eee79b_src.png

Has the latch on both sides but the first PCIe x16 slot is located further away from the CPU socket. Boards with the PCIe x16 slot located closer to the CPU socket(and the ram slots) will not have latches on both sides that need to be opened, only one end.

What is your budget and where are you located(to understand what you have access to)?

Hello all, I would like to know if there are b550m and x570m mobos with good gpu width clearance like the b550m ds3h? I have concerns regarding gpus with backplates that cannot fit in matx mobos because of the ram clips that get in the way. Thanks in advance!
Has anyone ever actually experienced a case where a GPU backplate interfered with memory extraction clips to the point you couldn't insert the GPU?

While it may get close, the dimensions for 'stay out zones' are pretty well established on ATX design specs. To be sure, it's like anything else and a mfr (whether motherboard or GPU) may get it wrong, but I'd have think it would be in the minority.

ghozt67

Commendable
Oct 23, 2018
Since 2015, pretty much every board that is now made come with one side of the ram slots with latches that need to be opened, the other end is pin you just push down on. The board you're looking at here;
2020052010504669991538ef6ba587da6a38da1da4eee79b_src.png

Has the latch on both sides but the first PCIe x16 slot is located further away from the CPU socket. Boards with the PCIe x16 slot located closer to the CPU socket(and the ram slots) will not have latches on both sides that need to be opened, only one end.

What is your budget and where are you located(to understand what you have access to)?
Sorry for the late reply, my budget would be around 210 usd at max, and I'm in the Philippines.

ghozt67

Commendable
Oct 23, 2018
Has anyone ever actually experienced a case where a GPU backplate interfered with memory extraction clips to the point you couldn't insert the GPU?

While it may get close, the dimensions for 'stay out zones' are pretty well established on ATX design specs. To be sure, it's like anything else and a mfr (whether motherboard or GPU) may get it wrong, but I'd have think it would be in the minority.
I've had a bad experience with the gigabyte b360m d3h, in which that mobo can't accommodate my gtx 1080 exoc snpr due to the gpu's backplate being blocked by the ram clips of the mobo. I've replaced my b360m d3h with a b360 aorus gaming 3 just so that my gpu can be accommodated.

I've had a bad experience with the gigabyte b360m d3h...
Oh yeah...that motherboard looks like it's only good for a 1/2 length GPU as I think the extractors could interfere with it's PWB components, making it possible to scrape off a chip resistor for instance, and not just a backplate.

I'd probably have popped off the memory DIMM extractors to make one fit, though. They're not really necessary if you have an extractor on the opposite end of a DIMM socket.

This should be possible to avoid if you look for motherboards that put the GPU in the second PCIe slot location. You should be able to tell this by referring to pictures of the motherboard topside.

Solution

ghozt67

Commendable
Oct 23, 2018

Well, I don't want to hurt its resell value, so I just saved up for the Aorus board.