Shantanu Ghose

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Hi Guys,

Recently I got an HP Omen 15 laptop.
During testing, I put on a black wallpaper and noticed:

View: https://imgur.com/a/rRnbZrO

Disclaimer: the phone camera is very poor in low-light conditions. The images came out worse than they are.

While viewing from different angles, it does reduce though. I am not sure if this amount of Backlight Bleed is normal or not.

Could you guys please help?

Thanks in advance.

You can ask for a replcement if it's brand new from the shop. While this amount of glow can't be resonably called 'normal', they all will have this issue - common for IPS displays. But maybe you'll be lucky to get one with less glow if you ask for replacement.

Already during the production, it is decided if a panel has bad, acceptable or very good IPS Glow and Backlight Bleed conditions. A panel has different layers included the anti-glare coating surface and the inner panel housing which is made out of metal. In the end, it depends on how well a panel is manufactured and how much pressure and tension the individual panel has. Incidentally, it is currently technically not possible to build an IPS panel without IPS Glow.

If you cant stand the IPS Glow in any case OR if you just cannot get used to a lower brightness and you simply want to play in a pitch black room, an IPS panel is not suited for your needs - VA (SVA, AHVA, etc) screens do not suffer from this issue.

Tips & Tricks to reduce the amount of the IPS Glow

#1: Increase your ambient lights

This will already drastically improve the amount you perceive in terms of the IPS Glow. In addition, you will get a better perception of the black level of your gaming monitor and a better overall perceived contrast ratio.

#2: The right monitor adjustments
Monitor adjustments also are very important when using an IPS panel in a darker environment or in a pitch black room. Ensure that you set proper height AND tilt adjustments. While individual units differ, you can easily find out easily which height and tilt settings are the best for your monitor when opening the test video and darken the ambient light.

#3: Lower the monitor brightness
#3 and #1 probably will reduce the IPS Glow probably most. Many people are using their gaming monitor at extreme brightness settings (above 80 in the OSD). In a direct 1:1 comparison a lower brightness monitor always will look worse with a less vibrant picture and clarity but I strongly recommend to get used to a lower brightness around 120 cd/m. Already after some days you will get used to the lower brightness and when switching back to your old brightness settings you will ask yourself how you just could stand such a high brightness. Btw, your eyes also will be thankful :) and in addition, you will get a much better black level.

#4: Massage the panel with a microfiber cloth
This one is probably a myth but I simply want to mention this since several people on different forums swearing that this one can help. Simply take a microfiber cloth and massage your panel (edges) for around 20-30 Minutes. In my case, it did not help on around 10 monitors - So I gave it up.

Shantanu Ghose

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
You can ask for a replcement if it's brand new from the shop. While this amount of glow can't be resonably called 'normal', they all will have this issue - common for IPS displays. But maybe you'll be lucky to get one with less glow if you ask for replacement.

If you cant stand the IPS Glow in any case OR if you just cannot get used to a lower brightness and you simply want to play in a pitch black room, an IPS panel is not suited for your needs - VA (SVA, AHVA, etc) screens do not suffer from this issue.

Hey, thank you for your reply.

The first and the third images are taken at 100% brightness of the screen whereas the 2nd image is at 30%. Also, I read somewhere that even if you tilt the screen or your viewing angles, the bleed would be consistent , whereas , if I am changing the viewing angles, they disappear.

Shantanu Ghose

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
What exactly is your question?
Is it normal? YES.
Can you get another laptop with an IPS screen with less glow? Slim chance.
Can you do something about it? Nothing, except lower the brightness and play with lights on.
Just wanted to know if it's normal or not. Really didn't want to RMA because of this. Thanks for letting me know. Though, I think I have to RMA because I am not able to insert any USB devices into the rear USB port. :(