[SOLVED] backup

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
ok so i have 3 drives in my pc. a 500gb m.2 nvme, a 500gb ssd, and a 1 tb hdd. i would like to be able to automatically back up both 500gb drives to the 1tb drive incase of failure how can i do this

Solution
Physical drive fail is probably the least likely path to data loss.

Accidental deletion, formatting the wrong drive/partition/virus/ransomware....

You can use any of a number of current applications to create full drive Images off on some other drive.
All automated on a schedule.
I use Macrium Reflect.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Using the third party backup and restore utility of your choosing, as you choose both the source drive(s) to be backed up and the target drive on which the backup is placed. I happen to use EaseUS To Do Backup Free but have used Macrium Reflect Free and AOMEI Backupper Free, too, at different times in the past.

However, I would recommend that you do not do this. In this the age of ransomware/cryptomalware all drives actively connected at the time of infection become encrypted. If, heaven forfend, you were to become infected you would lose your backup because it, too, is on an active drive.

Use an external backup drive that you only connect to take a backup or restore from same.

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
Using the third party backup and restore utility of your choosing, as you choose both the source drive(s) to be backed up and the target drive on which the backup is placed. I happen to use EaseUS To Do Backup Free but have used Macrium Reflect Free and AOMEI Backupper Free, too, at different times in the past.

However, I would recommend that you do not do this. In this the age of ransomware/cryptomalware all drives actively connected at the time of infection become encrypted. If, heaven forfend, you were to become infected you would lose your backup because it, too, is on an active drive.

Use an external backup drive that you only connect to take a backup or restore from same.
im not concerned for ransomware etc im concerned for a drive failing or something and atleast i would have a copy

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Well, you really need to consider that you could very easily lose your backup if you choose to take it to a drive that's constantly connected to your system and recognized as active by such.

But, that choice is ultimately yours.

USAFRet

Titan
Physical drive fail is probably the least likely path to data loss.

Accidental deletion, formatting the wrong drive/partition/virus/ransomware....

You can use any of a number of current applications to create full drive Images off on some other drive.
All automated on a schedule.
I use Macrium Reflect.

Solution