[SOLVED] Bad CPU, Good GPU. What settings do i need to turn low that effect the CPU?

Jun 17, 2020
Hi, i have a RX 5600 XT and a i5-6400 with 8 GB ram. I want to buy a new cpu (ryzen 5 3600) Because my current CPU is bottlenecking my GPU. But i need to wait for the money to buy a new CPU. (About 2 to 3 months). But i want to play games now. I am wondering wich settings i can turn down so the CPU doesn’t have to do much. What settings are CPU intensive and what settings are GPU intensive? Can somewhone help my with this problem.?

Solution
Yeah that’s the problem. I don’t have money right now to buy new RAM. But what can i do in the settings to get no stutters and above 60 fps
Changing your graphics settings in most of those games will likely have little affect on your fps or little affect at mitigating stutter. GTA5 may run decently though, but will probably still have hanging and stutter. If lowering graphics settings doesn't increase fps or increasing settings doesn't decrease fps, you are CPU limited and there is not much you can do with what you have. You might as well run with higher graphics settings if you prefer that in this situation.
Hi, i have a RX 5600 XT and a i5-6400 with 8 GB ram. I want to buy a new cpu (ryzen 5 3600) Because my current CPU is bottlenecking my GPU. But i need to wait for the money to buy a new CPU. (About 2 to 3 months). But i want to play games now. I am wondering wich settings i can turn down so the CPU doesn’t have to do much. What settings are CPU intensive and what settings are GPU intensive? Can somewhone help my with this problem.?
pretty much every setting is gpu dependent,but there are some settings that can be turned on to boost your cpu.
One of them is multithreaded rendering,simply focuses all threads towards the game,which boost you fps.
Also set your powerplan towards max performance,or if you have ultra performance.

Jun 17, 2020
pretty much every setting is gpu dependent,but there are some settings that can be turned on to boost your cpu.
One of them is multithreaded rendering,simply focuses all threads towards the game,which boost you fps.
Also set your powerplan towards max performance,or if you have ultra performance.
Is multithreaded rendering an in game setting?

kanewolf

Titan
Your 8GB ram, which is probably a single DIMM is also a problem.

Reactions: Thijsieee05
Jun 17, 2020
So just buy it (the GPU) and game with it. The 6400 is not that bad it will do the job for most games. You may see some slowdowns in some heavily CPU biased games, but you're getting an upgrade sooner or later.
Yeah that’s true. I play a lot of fps games. Does that cost a lot of cpu or not?
Frame rates are not going to improve much manipulating and graphics settings higher or lower; if frame rates are going to be relatively low, they might as well at least look pretty. Turn assorted details/texture quality/shadows to ultra high.
Okay ill tr
I look at settings from Games that in play but only can find it on fortnite

Last edited:
I play many FPS games such as rainbow, modern warfare, battlefield and fortnite and i play openworld games such as gta and fallout. I also play shadow of the tumbraider.
Pretty much none of these games will improve their FPS by dropping graphics settings. You really just need an 8+thread CPU. Also, you can gain 20-30% more fps with dual channel mode by adding a second module if you have a single 8GB.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020
Pretty much none of these games will improve their FPS by dropping graphics settings. you relaly just need an 8+thread CPU. Also, you can gain 20-30% more fps with dual channel mode by adding a second module fi you have a single 8GB.
Yeah i want to do that but i am going to buy new Ram when i buy new cpu and motherbord. Can i play those games now with my current cpu or not
Depends on the game. DOOM and Wolfenstein are pretty light on the CPU. Some of the later Battlefield games are a bit more cpu intensive. Still I think you'll be fine.
[

Yeah i want to do that but i am going to buy new Ram when i buy new cpu and motherbord. Can i play those games now with my current cpu or not
Well yeah, of course you can play them, but more you are likely to get stutter or low fps because you only have 4 CPU threads. The main thing that will improve your performance and help mitigate stutter is just adding a second ram module. If you have the money now, you could get a 2x8GB kit and install that since you were going to buy one anyway for the new CPU and motherboard.

Jun 17, 2020
Well yeah, of course you can play them, but more you are likely to get stutter or low fps because you only have 4 CPU threads. The main thing that will improve your performance and help mitigate stutter is just adding a second ram module. If you have the money now, you could get a 2x8GB kit and install that since you were going to buy one anyway for the new CPU and motherboard.
Yeah that’s the problem. I don’t have money right now to buy new RAM. But what can i do in the settings to get no stutters and above 60 fps

Changing your graphics settings in most of those games will likely have little affect on your fps or little affect at mitigating stutter. GTA5 may run decently though, but will probably still have hanging and stutter. If lowering graphics settings doesn't increase fps or increasing settings doesn't decrease fps, you are CPU limited and there is not much you can do with what you have. You might as well run with higher graphics settings if you prefer that in this situation.

Solution
Jun 17, 2020
Okay ill try things with graphics but i didn’t try many games because i have low internet speed.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yes they will play fine.

I don't know where the other guy thinks they will stutter. They will be held back from max performance, but as I said the 6400 is not THAT bad, it will play those games. Maybe if you try the newest possible game out you may have an issue.

They will be fine you will just have limited performance.

Jun 17, 2020
Yes they will play fine.

I don't know where the other guy thinks they will stutter. They will be held back from max performance, but as I said the 6400 is not THAT bad, it will play those games. Maybe if you try the newest possible game out you may have an issue.

They will be fine you will just have limited performance.
Okay, thank you.

Only if he has the money to buy a 2x8gb kit of DDR4-3000 that will be compatible with his new board, otherwise its a waste of money as hes going Ryzen.
The OP is likely not running a Z series motherboard, so they're going to be limited to DDR4 2133 anyway. In that situation it probably doesn't matter if it's Intel or Ryzen "ready". I personally don't see it as a waste of money to buy a 2x8GB kit to use on the current system, before getting the rest of the new upgrade parts, unless the OP's motherboard is using DDR3. I suppose one reason not to buy the ram before the rest of the parts is if you're worried the ram will have a compatibility issue with the new AMD motherboard such as not running at advertised frequency or timings and you can't check that with the current system because it can't overclock ram.

AMD has a list of memory kits compatible with Ryzen that you can check against when searching for ram. https://www.amd.com/en/processors/ryzen-compatible-memory. My Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4-4000, which were intended for Intel platforms, are not listed as compatible on either list, but I'm running two of those 2x8GB kits at 3000MT/s CL14 on my Ryzen 5 2600 with my B450 motherboard.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The OP is likely not running a Z series motherboard, so they're going to be limited to DDR4 2133 anyway. In that situation it probably doesn't matter if it's Intel or Ryzen "ready". I personally don't see it as a waste of money to buy a 2x8GB kit to use on the current system, before getting the rest of the new upgrade parts, unless the OP's motherboard is using DDR3. I suppose one reason not to buy the ram before the rest of the parts is if you're worried the ram will have a compatibility issue with the new AMD motherboard such as not running at advertised frequency or timings and you can't check that with the current system because it can't overclock ram.

AMD has a list of memory kits compatible with Ryzen that you can check against when searching for ram. https://www.amd.com/en/processors/ryzen-compatible-memory. My Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4-4000, which were intended for Intel platforms, are not listed as compatible on either list, but I'm running two of those 2x8GB kits at 3000MT/s CL14 on my Ryzen 5 2600 with my B450 motherboard.

No hes not, but what he is running now does not matter. He can buy DDR4-3000 and run it in his current system at 2133mhz until such time as he does his Ryzen update then he can run it at 3000mhz. However Ryzen these days still has some compatibility issues especially with certain models of low latency Ram. Its not a matter of being "Ryzen Ready" its a matter of not spending the same money twice and not buying ram that will kneecap his future Ryzen build (because buying cheap 2133mhz ram for Ryzen is handicapping it severely). There are plenty of memory kits out there that are not necessarily marked as "Ryzen Ready" but are either on the QVL or work anyway. Both my Ryzen systems have "Intel" memory with no problems, and as well the two most recent Ryzen systems I've built for others.

However I'm trying to make it easy for him to identify what will work for sure at full speed and what will not.