[SOLVED] Bad head on Seagate GoFlex?

Nov 10, 2020
Hi, I have a 1tb Seagate GoFlex external hard drive that is not working. Was given to me by family who denied any physical damage. When plugged in it gets power and clicks 4-5 times before just sitting quietly. Does not register at any point on the PC itself. I took it out of the enclosure to get my adapter to it and still has that same clicking issue, so I assume its not a power supply problem at this point.

Any thoughts on this likely being a stuck head? Not super experienced with hard drives so some feedback would be appreciated. Opening the drive and messing with the head is a bit outside my pay grade but I'm reading it could cost hundreds to get in and repair the head and get the data - probably something I wont do so I dont want to assume that if theres something I could be missing.

Solution
If the drive spins up, clicks, and then spins down, the problem is bad heads or media.

If the drive buzzes softly but doesn't spin up, then it may have a stiction fault, ie heads stuck to platters.
Nov 10, 2020
It's dead.

"denied any physical damage " only means that they don't know if it had been dropped (more than once). :ROFLMAO:

True, may very well have fallen just a few feet a few times...

So when you say its dead theres no worth in trying to get in and get the data if it can gathered (with a few hours of work) from other sources?? Like going the few hundred route to repair?

Nov 10, 2020
How valuable is any data that may or may not be on it?

As I say can be found going through a bunch of old emails and what not but it will take a few hours to compile. Wanted to give him a price so he could decide what its worth but would prefer to get a ballpark idea as opposed to bringing it to someone and having them charge me to assesses and then not do it anyway because its too expensive.

USAFRet

Titan
As I say can be found going through a bunch of old emails and what not but it will take a few hours to compile. Wanted to give him a price so he could decide what its worth but would prefer to get a ballpark idea as opposed to bringing it to someone and having them charge me to assesses and then not do it anyway because its too expensive.
At this point, I'd have to say get a quote from a data recovery company.
I can't recommend one in particular, because I've never used one.

But the lowest I've seen might start at $300.

Reactions: mcquackers