Question Bad performance of GPU in general and very low usage

Jul 20, 2022
Hi
My Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT has incredibly bad performance. Even windows animations are laggy (startup animation, etc.) and doing some experiments with MSI Afterburner trying to fix the problem I found that i cant do overclock and that my gpu usage is always less than 6%, even running the kombustor stress test.

My specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 2320 3.00 GHz
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT
Motherboard: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3 Rev 1.0 PCIe 2.0
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz

What I have tried:
Reinstalling Windows 10
Reinstalling newest driver (342.01) and olders (341.74) using DDU
Disabling onboard GPU by BIOS

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Jul 20, 2022
brand and model of the psu?
what were you doing when it less than 6%?
cpu usage during that time?
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W 80
Is less than 6% the value of gpu load all the time, even running a gpu stress test like kombustor.
Im updating Windows rn. I will tell you the cpu usage during kombustor test once it finishs

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
temps ?
seems like your system is overheating and thermal throttling

open the case while runing a benchmark. are all the fans running ? it's a pretty ancient system, no dust buildup ? check everywhere. Are the PSU's grills clear from dust ? try to look inside from the grill (do not open it)

Jul 20, 2022
temps ?
seems like your system is overheating and thermal throttling

open the case while runing a benchmark. are all the fans running ? it's a pretty ancient system, no dust buildup ? check everywhere. Are the PSU's grills clear from dust ? try to look inside from the grill (do not open it)
40°C the gpu and the cpu the same. The system is ancient but I build it a week ago, its all clean

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
is HPET (High Precision Timer) enabled in Bios ? if so disable

Since the parts are old, if it was me, i would try to install Windows 7 quickly on a spare SSD, just to test if the same behavior happens.

congratz for trying to minimize e-waste. 3 years ago I built a system for my nephew, from parts mostly coming from garbage PCs I found on the street. (the GPU was Idling in my closet)
PhenomIIX6 + 8GB RAM + RX480 GPU. He still loves it lol

Jul 20, 2022

Since the parts are old, if it was me, i would try to install Windows 7 quickly on a spare SSD, just to test if the same behavior happens.

congratz for trying to minimize e-waste. 3 years ago I built a system for my nephew, from parts mostly coming from garbage PCs I found on the street. (the GPU was Idling in my closet)
yeah, thanks haha. I build this one for basically do all experiments, like oc and coding so its enough for me. Im thinking seriously about switching to Windows 7 cause the motherboard is made for it. didnt think about the HPET, gonna try it now. Thks

Jul 20, 2022

HPET didnt work. I disabled it and still works very bad. Dont know what to think. Maybe its the PSU that has the gpu output broken