Bad Power Supply?

speedeysurfer

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Hello,
I recently built my own computer a little over a month ago and it's not working anymore. I'm 99% certain its the cheap power supply I got just because I couldn't wait any longer for the money to get an actually decent PSU. I wanted to be sure its the power supply thats the problem and I don't have a tester or anything...so here is what's been happening: About 5 days ago I would turn on the computer and it would start up for a couple seconds then shut off, so I tried unplugging everything and then re-wiring it and it still didn't work. I checked everything from the RAM to any possible bad connections and everything looked fine. In frustration I jiggled the power supply a little and tried to turn it on and it worked. I did this for the next few days until it just didn't start up anymore. It's done. I was wondering if someone could tell me if this sounds like a cheap power supply problem or something worse. Thanks alot.

Solution
REPLACE THE PSU, and hope you have not damaged your other computer parts!!! do not even try booting it again Period.

The PSU is NOT a place to shrimp on cost!!

(1) 22 buck for a 575 W PSU should have hit like a ton of brick, if not then the 142 out of 443 people who gave that PSU a rating of 3 or lower "eggs" (25% 1 and 2 eggs)
(2) A 575 Watt is way more power than you need. A i5-750 OCed, 5770 GPU, 2 HDDs, a SSD, a DVD writer and one Blu-ray writer only draws about 300 W Under full load, little over 100 Watts at idle. Newegg currently has the corsair 400 Watt on sale for 50 Bucks (w/10 MIR). AN Outstanding Company). Bought this for my wife's low end build.

Another, lower rated than corsair, but not junk either...
REPLACE THE PSU, and hope you have not damaged your other computer parts!!! do not even try booting it again Period.

The PSU is NOT a place to shrimp on cost!!

(1) 22 buck for a 575 W PSU should have hit like a ton of brick, if not then the 142 out of 443 people who gave that PSU a rating of 3 or lower "eggs" (25% 1 and 2 eggs)
(2) A 575 Watt is way more power than you need. A i5-750 OCed, 5770 GPU, 2 HDDs, a SSD, a DVD writer and one Blu-ray writer only draws about 300 W Under full load, little over 100 Watts at idle. Newegg currently has the corsair 400 Watt on sale for 50 Bucks (w/10 MIR). AN Outstanding Company). Bought this for my wife's low end build.

Another, lower rated than corsair, but not junk either
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017

I'm not normally this harsh, as I know money can be a desiding factor, But on the same token - Never forgot what my Pop said when I blew it. "Sympathy can be found in the dictionary between shi_ and Syphilis"

Solution

speedeysurfer

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Thank you very much for the information, I went with the Corsair earlier today so that should come within a few days. I knew full well what I was doing getting that cheap power supply but I did it anyway even though I should have just waited. Do you think there could be any permanent damage to any of my other components?