Ballmer Could Be Out if Windows 8 Tanks, Analysts Say

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
No Start Menu cryes no more :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=acVtWAPq3Y0#!

and you can pick up between Simple , XP , Vista/7 Style Start Menu.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
[citation][nom]kracker[/nom]Windows 8 has, in a way split people.Start menu vs metro people.[/citation]

I don't use metro, and I don't miss the start menu. The task bar is all you need a production environment. If you're digging through the start menu all the time, you're wasting time. Time = $.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Windows 8 has tanked - honestly, what Windows 7 user wouldn't have embraced 8 if Microsoft would have genuinely listened and implemented a solid desktop experience? I am thoroughly content with W7 and I am genuinely over the W8 hate days, but no matter how hard MS tries, or how eager some people are in "geting used to" Modern UI, we all know that 7 is a superior desktop OS. Anyway, Ballmer is one high-profile CEO in the current capitalist machine I definitely won't miss!

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Incredible, i post an Youtube link where you can get a Start Menu application for Windows 8 and i get - for my link , guess for those who hate Win8 for "no Start Menu" button , giving this will take away their only Win8 issue to hate it ... thus must - it.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
the "Modern UI" has been used very, very little. If fact, it's seemingly nonexistent thanks to Stardock's Start8 app which lets the PC boot directly into the desktop
So...
What you are saying is there is a way to take advantage of all the "under the hood" improvements, but still retain all the original functionality of Windows 7
Where are those naysayers, who gotta naysay???

vhinze

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
For me, the forty dollar upgrade was money out the window. Big twenty-first century OS was incompatible with my two year old ASUS USB hardware, failed to install. Gimmie a break! Windows 7, on the other hand, just works, I'll forget the Metro interface and the huge 1% performance increase (in some applications). Ballmer can check out for Tahiti, good riddance.

john15v16

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Incredible, i post an Youtube link where you can get a Start Menu application for Windows 8 and i get - for my link , guess for those who hate Win8 for "no Start Menu" button , giving this will take away their only Win8 issue to hate it ... thus must - it.

@ohim...

I gave you a +1 dude...Good link...

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I posted link to YouTube and not the direct link since most of the readers find unknown links to be fishy and usually don`t rush to click on them, so was better and safer to post a YT link.

wcnighthawk

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
It's not good enough that I can add a start menu to Windows 8. I want MS to own up that it f'ed up and put it back in themselves. And even then, I still wouldn't upgrade to it on my main pc because there's no advantage to using it over Windows 7. Oooooh, I can boot into my pc faster...I gives a damn about boot times. My PC stays on forever (minus power outages) so that's really a non-issue for me. And before anyone says anything, yes I do have Windows 8 loaded onto my laptop and guess what. It's Windows 7 with more steps to doing simple things.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I wonder how many people fall into the category of, "I love Windows RT, bought an iPad" or "Windows Phone 8 looks awesome, bought an Android".

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Windows 8 has two different interfaces packaged into it, one of which - Metro or whatever they are calling it now - is not friendly for desktop use, and the other - the traditional Windows desktop - is not friendly for touch.

I believe this would have been the logical way to achieve MS's integration goals:

1. Figure out a way to let Metro apps run in a window on the Windows desktop with desktop-scaled UI elements.

2. Integrate live tiles onto the traditional desktop and in folders as a "smart" alternative to icons.

3. Save the metro UI features for tablets and mobile where they make sense. If you want, you can have a similar look and feel, but don't try to force all users to interact in the same way.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Seriously, most people are not smart enough to "fix" win8 by getting the third party programs...
And in all honesty, MS could just hock out a 10meg "patch" and make everyone happy and give them a choice to boot, making it win win... and shutting alot of people up.

Status
Not open for further replies.