Ballmer Teases New Xboxes at University Q&A

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]The Xbox360 is going on 5 years-old already. I would hope they are already developing a new console. If they are smart, they would start making the consoles modular so that the GPU and memory can be upgraded, in addition to the hard drive. That would help extend the product lifecycle.[/citation]

No. You want something modular buy a PC. The whole point of a console is that a game designed for it will run exactly the same on all of them, there is no guess work. If you have modular options you've completely removed the whole raison d'etre of consoles. Even if you had upgraded memory and graphics my guess is all the developers would ignore them and target the base, there would be very little to gain. The only upgrade that it makes sense to allow is the hard drive.

While your suggestion may extend the life of consoles, it would completely destroy the whole 'advantage' they have over PC's.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
The form factor is fine with me. Is it really necessary to have a small model when you put it under a 50IN TV? However, seeing the technology have evolved a lot since the first iteration of the XBOX360, I'd like one with passive cooling.

wymer100

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
I thought the big plus for consoles was that hardware configurations were standardized. Wouldn't custom configs lead to an exponential increase in support headaches? I would rather MS put that energy towards a new xbox then try to customize the current version.

G

I would just keep it the same form factor and just make it cheaper. why waste the money on a redesign...

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
How about better hardware for 1080p support!

I have a couple of MP4's that skip and stutter during high motion.

I bet this is why they wont support Blue ray!

HD-DVD was only 720p which is fine but the hardware is clearly not capable of playing all 1080p content!

i am streaming from my windows 7 media center and using 3 xbox360's as extenders around the house.

this is a real bummer for me!

would be nice if the refresh included h.264 support built into the video card of the 360.....and if it already does and is optimized we simply need better hardware.

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Ill take one that doesnt look like a kids toy, Doesnt die, and gives me the ability to use standard HDD insetad of their proprietary crap.

On second thought never mind. I dont need any junk.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Yup, he got it so right with the present situation: no diversity, no option (you get exactly what we build for you). Like the old Ford Model-T cars. Ever the slow-footed dinosaur, Microsoft is letting the other more agile competitors like Sony test the waters first, giving us more innovations, variety and options.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]brennon7[/nom]First, Blu-Ray player.Second, Third, Eyefinity or similar technology with 3 1080p HDTVs.[/citation]

Now that's just unrealistic.

All I really want is an integrated power supply (I HATE having to carry around a console AND a HUGE power brick.) and built in wireless. The rest is just unrealistic though, imo.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
They don't need to make the xbox smaller it is fine as it is. Before you give me red for this post, I believe that it is about time they come out with a new system. I have stopped playing xbox360 it has become rather old and when it was released, it didn't live up to the hype and still doesn't. Problem with consoles is the technology is not allowed to change very much for, in this case, 10 years. Does anyone here still game on a 10 year old pc? I didn't think so. :)

ya really they cannot even keep it from overheating at the size that it is now. imagine what the failure rate would be if they made it smaller?

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]tomtompiper[/nom]You failed geometry at school didn't you Or did you mean the old xbox 180?[/citation]
^+1 HAHAHA! Good one!

pwnzerage

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
[citation][nom]ehanger[/nom]Wanna know why they call it the xbox 360?When you see it you turn a 360 and go the other way![/citation]

lol epic troll.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]brennon7[/nom]First, Blu-Ray player.Second, integrated wireless.Third, Eyefinity or similar technology with 3 1080p HDTVs.Fourth, 3D.[/citation]
+All Xbox's come with a HDMI cable.
Xbox cables don't cost $60 (such as the $60 VGA cable) and come with all proper adatpors (the Xbox VGA cables should have come with a RCA to 3.5mm female, not just a RCA to 3.5mm male).
32nm GPU and CPU.
1TB 2.5" 7200RPM HDD (those drives are coming soon, and not just the extra thick 2.5" variant) to allow you to copy your entire game collection to your drive.
Bluetooth (I was a naysayer of bluetooth at the start, but now I'm finding it handy).
Ability to be tethered to phones with 3G.
Bump on the GPU to 1TF instead of 250Gigaflops.
Bump on the RAM and VRAM.
Bump on the CPU from 3 cores to 6 cores (IBM prefers to make a handful of $10,000 COU's, but they can suck it up and step up their fab for better mass reproduction).

Just a hope. =)

Sinsation Station

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
[citation][nom]tburns1[/nom]A keyboard and a mouse. Oh wait ...that's a PC.[/citation]

I know that you are joking, but check this out http://www.xoxide.com/xbox360-xfps-sniper-kbmouse-interface.html

This device at $95.99 its way to expensive!.

Perhaps Microsoft could develop something thats way more affordable
than this, (after all they have years of expertise on Mouse and Keyboards).

But in reality, I don't think that they are gonna spend resources on this idea. (Cross Fingers).

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]The Xbox360 is going on 5 years-old already. I would hope they are already developing a new console. If they are smart, they would start making the consoles modular so that the GPU and memory can be upgraded, in addition to the hard drive. That would help extend the product lifecycle.[/citation]

lol, i lol at xbox. don't make improvements, make a new console. rumors around the internet supposedly from microsoft, sony and nintendo state that they will not release a new console for another 5 years. LOL, PC gaming anyone? but seriously they need to make a new console if they want to keep up with graphics changes over the next few years.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
make it easier for developers to make PC/Console games so I can wipe the floor with console gamers.

I want a Blue Ring of Death that sings "Baby got Back" when it crashes.

A wireless connection into my mind so I can enter the Matrix.

Status
Not open for further replies.