[SOLVED] Basic Linux Build w/ Intel i5

stackman1

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
Hello All.
Tom's helped me tremendously when building my first PC back in 2012. I am retired now and want to teach myself Linux.
I want to use Intel Integrated Graphics. Other than that I have no real requirements.
Any thoughts people have on my proposed build would be greatly appreciated.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6xPrwz

Thanks in Advance
Peter

Solution
Yea, 10400f needs a graphics card. The B460 makes more sense for your system.
I would not go with a SeaSonic S12iii for the sole reason of it being non modular. A low end PSU is fine for a locked CPU+Igpu, but non modular in itx is not fun.
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor | $177.89 @ B&H
Motherboard | ASRock B460M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard | $94.99 @ Newegg
Memory | Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory | $65.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $94.99 @ Best Buy
Case | Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case |...
why buy a 650W psu if you are only gonna go with a integrated graphics?
Ok so i5 10400F doesnt have integrated graphics.
For intel cpu's the ones that dont have a suffix or have K at the end of them (like i7 10700,i7 10700K) they HAVE integrated graphics.
Intel CPU's that have a F or KF at the end of them (like 10400f,i9 9900KF) they DONT have integrated graphics.
So ur are gonna have to go with a classic i5 10400 if you want integrated graphics.
Second of all,the motherboard u choose is Z490 chipset,which is used for overclocking.
10400 cant overclock,so why pay more for something ur not gonna use.
The ram is good.
Forgot to mention that i5 10400 comes with a stock cooler.
The case is nice,1tb ssd is enough.
So here is my version of your build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TWF2z7

stackman1

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
Be careful with TOO new a build. You can get hardware that does not have support in the Linux version you are targeting.
Verify motherboard support for your targeted Linux kernel.
Good point. I bought a teaching manual that will walk me through Debian (including Ubuntu). Think it is safe to assume I can deploy a recent Debian distro with the ASRock B460M-ITX?

kanewolf

Titan
Good point. I bought a teaching manual that will walk me through Debian (including Ubuntu). Think it is safe to assume I can deploy a recent Debian distro with the ASRock B460M-ITX?
It looks like the integrated graphics for the 400 series motherboards/CPUs was worked out in Sept. The 10.7 version was released in Dec. That is your best shot at compatibility.
If you "bought a teaching manual for install" -- this sounds like an experiment... Have you considered saving a lot of money and getting a raspberry PI ?

Yea, 10400f needs a graphics card. The B460 makes more sense for your system.
I would not go with a SeaSonic S12iii for the sole reason of it being non modular. A low end PSU is fine for a locked CPU+Igpu, but non modular in itx is not fun.
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Motherboard | ASRock B460M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard | $94.99 @ Newegg
Memory | Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory | $65.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $94.99 @ Best Buy
Case | Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case | $53.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply | Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $79.98 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $567.83
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-04 16:18 EST-0500 |

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
I would get an old USFF Dell OptiPlex or something instead of a pi4. The Pi4 isn't very powerful.
I wouldn't transcode 4K video with one, but it is similar to an Android tablet for typical uses. More than sufficient for Web, YouTube, streaming, etc.
A dell refurb with an SSD swap would be very serviceable also. Benefit of that is you get a Windows license if you ever decide Linux is not right.

stackman1

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
After Feedback -

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Storage | Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $109.99 @ Adorama
Case | Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case | $53.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply | Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $79.98 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $582.83
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-04 16:43 EST-0500 |

Reactions: Flayed
you could likely just as easily 'learn Linux' on your existing rig from 2012...

It does not take a tremendous amount of CPU horsepower/RAM/throughput to load an OS, bring up a terminal, and/or a basic GUI, and tinker....

While awaiting the arrival of both my 960 EVO and my GTX1060 a few years back I installed CentOS 7 (with GUI, Cinnamon package!) to my 7700K (using integrated graphics)w/ a 5400 RPM laptop drive, and it was fast booting, quick to shutdown, and overall 'darn snappy'!

stackman1

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
It's been 8 years since my last build. Want to start fresh with a new machine. As was said, my Raspberry Pi would be enough. But I am looking to rid myself of Microsoft and still serve as working desktop.

stackman1

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
I appreciate all the feedback I received to build my new Linux desktop.
Below is my final part list adjusted to reflect feedback.
6 components - 4 from Amazon, 2 from New Egg. All in with tax at $652.60. Placed order yesterday.

As noted earlier, Tom's held my hand through my first PC build back in 2012. Answered questions during my assembly.
Maybe a moderator can tell me if I can continue to use this thread if I run into assembly questions or should I post elsewhere?

In any event - many thanks to all for developing me to confidently build this system.
Peter
Final - Linux Configuration

6 components - 4 from Amazon, 2 from New Egg. All in with tax at $652.60. Placed order yesterday.

As noted earlier, Tom's held my hand through my first PC build back in 2012. Answered questions during my assembly.
Maybe a moderator can tell me if I can continue to use this thread if I run into assembly questions or should I post elsewhere?

In any event - many thanks to all for developing me to confidently build this system.
Peter
Enjoy brother,you can always post ur issue in a different thread,but link this one in it.

kanewolf

Titan

Peter
Yes, a NEW thread is the appropriate thing. If needed, post a link to this, but probably just the parts list is a good starting point.

stackman1

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012

Peter

TRENDING THREADS