Battlefield 4 Beta Performance: 16 Graphics Cards, Benchmarked

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

artk2219

Distinguished

Honestly I'd wait for driver and software updates, its still technically in beta and even when the game is released there will be quite a few problems. If you really want to go out and buy new hardware then thats all you. Personally I'd just wait for driver and game updates.

Agreed. Expect bugs in a beta (that's why its beta)
Atleast wait for offical release before messing with HW

JustinTHFC1984

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
I find this very weird the numbers do not make sense, I am using a 3970x OC'd to 4.6ghz and a gtx 690 now my max framerate was 172 my average was 90 fps but my minimum was 40 so how did your gtx 690 not drop below 60fps but I am using the exact same settings as you?

cleeve

Illustrious

Unless you benched consistently the *EXACT* same way we did, your results are going to be off. Guaranteed.

That's why benchmarks are best used to compare graphics cards and give a general idea about performance in a given game. We can't bench 100% of every game.

Serpent of Heaven

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
1. For all you fails, the BF4 test that the author is doing, in this article, is a "beta." Meaning that it doesn't have the whole "sha-bang." You're basically playing a revised version of BF3 without all the additional goodies. That's why, pretty much all the FPS numbers for each resolution, is about the same results as if you were playing BF3. I know for sure AMD Mantle was never added to the Beta. It will be a AMD Driver thing. Doesn't look like DX11.1 was added either.

2. Between GTX Titan and 780, there should be a 13.2% difference in performance, roughly. If you do the math between both graphic cards' FPS performance, you'd see that the GTX Titan "does not" meet or exceed that 13.2% line. It fall flat from it. Averaging around 11.0%. So as a result, some would argue that this is a CPU Bottleneck... Do you get my point yet? What other way, what better way is there to determine if there is actually a CPU Bottleneck with the BF4 Beta. With Dual GPUs, the 2nd GPU isn't always pushing 100% because of scaling.

When BF3 first came out, and the NVidia was only starting to push Fermi (GTX 400 Series), there was some bottlenecking in the CPU when the game was loading up, but not during game-play up time.

JustinTHFC1984

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013

Is there any way you can describe how you benched the game so I can try and replicate your results? I understand what you are saying however I was not trying to criticise your methods by the way just trying to understand how you got them kind of numbers :)

Adam Jarvis

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
@Kingpin007

"Come on. I have a FX-6100 @ 3.5Ghz and a Radeon 7850 2GB with 4 GB RAM and I get like 17-20 FPS at 1280x720 low detail preset... Its extremely frustrating."

I would check resource monitor when game is running for amount of RAM being used... I would think your system is bottlenecking at your RAM capacity. Assuming you are using Windows 7 like most or Windows 8 just the OS will use around a GB in that setup and even more if your system has it. RAM aside you should be able to run High presets at very playable FPS

ktasley

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I have played the BF4 Beta and hence the only map: Siege of Shanghai.

One of the first things that really struck me was how small the map is compared to most epic BF maps in the past. It really felt like a COD style map. This concerned my because this is a major differentiation for me between these games (among many other things).

I just had to question what the author meant when he said "the sense of scale" felt much greater in BF4. He continues/follows that sentence talking about the buildings size and assume that's what he meant. While I agree there is great vertical presence, I would still disagree, and say that I was really disappointing by the lack of scale and depth in the map: Siege of Shanghai. I wouldn't normally comment had this not been a central part of BF historically and is now a question of concern for the direction of the franchise.

I assume this is a small map purposely used in the beta environment? Thoughts?

cleeve

Illustrious

Did you play Conquest or Domination? Because Domination only uses a small part of the Siege of Shanghai map.

cleeve

Illustrious

No offense taken, just letting you know.

We outline our method in the article: domination map, a server with about 40 ms latency. No other players on the server to keep the results consistent. Run along the sidewalk around the outskirts of the map for 60 seconds.

paleh0rse

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Looks like my two crossfired 7870XT's are exactly where they should be in comparison to the others. (Ultra Preset, 1080p, same test conditions, my results: Min: 45, Avg: 68.3).

That said, the game still needs A LOT of work... I really hope the final release and Mantle updates are much more optimized. After the second patch today, my CPU (i5-3570k @ 4.4 Ghz) is still sticking between 90-100% usage, while my two video cards are still averaging only 50-60% usage, each. :(

SirTrollsALot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

I have the 7850 2GB on an aging i7 930 @ 4.1ghz and i get nice performance at 60+, med setttings, in BF3 on 1360x768 ... Maybe overclock your cpu with a better heatsink or or save up for an intel system? Another thing is check if you resolution is on native setting...

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
So how did 2560 x 1600 get omitted from the lineup? There are some of us although few who game at this res for year now and no longer including this exclusive res is a little bothersome there Toms!

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
love gaming this on my Overlord Tempest - although 1440 at 120hz is a dream with ultra settings on my 690 apparently. Oh well, dumb down the settings and ramp up my FPS!!!

paleh0rse

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010

prove it.

Hakumisoso Terror

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
I was at 1080p using the games built in fps counter. Not sure what toms hardware was using for fps counting. I was for sure getting 100 fps average. No lie. I would give screenshots but i can only play games on weekends. WIll upload to imigur when i am allowed to play.

usbgtx550

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Looking at benchmarks from other websites, it seems that the 6300 at times performed even worse than the fx 4xxx. Can anyone comment or confirm this? I plan on helping a friend update his computer and the 6300 is an option we're considering right now.

paleh0rse

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010

Use FRAPS' built-in Benchmark and set it for 300 seconds (five minutes). It will export the results to three spreadsheets. Open the one named "minmaxavg" in notepad to see your actual results for a legitimate comparison to the benchmarks in this TH article.

The BF4 in-game FPS counter doesn't give any kind of report, and seeing it hit 100 does nothing to demonstrate your actual minimum and average FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS