Question BCD corrupted, cannot repair in Advanced Recovery Mode ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Hi, i recently did a Windows quality update and i got several pop ups after a reboot saying ‘We couldn’t complete the updates, undoing changes’. This kept coming up. But one time i booted up my pc and it did not start up, instead giving me the screen to the advanced repair mode. I did all the options in the troubleshoot section, nothing worked. I did the command prompt, and ran a couple commands including BCD. It appears my BCD is corrupted. So i did the BCD repair commands, but they didn’t work. So i was stuck.

I clicked "Continue to Windows", but didn’t go back to the same screen, instead the horrible ‘Your device/pc needs to be repaired’. And the 4 options to boot on the advanced recovery, BIOS, and 2 others i forgot. I tried pressing F1 which was the allocated button for booting into the Advanced recovery again, but it didn’t work instead yakking me back to the same screen.

So currently i am stuck on the repair screen, not able to do anything on it except use the button to go into BIOS, but i don’t think i can do anything in that to get into Windows. So i think, 99% my BCD being corrupted is what caused my Windows to not boot up. I need some help because Resetting the PC is my last resort. I hope this massive oarsgraph makes sense to you.

Anyway - execute this.
First we have to delete one of system partitions - 99MB one.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 2
delete partition override
(delete 99MB partition, be careful, do not delete wrong partition)
select partition 1
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot c:\windows /s h:
bcdboot d:\windows /s h:

One of bcdboot commands will give error (depending on which is the correct windows OS partition). Can ignore that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyroix 74

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Anyway - execute this.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 2
select partition 1
assign letter=H
exit

One of bcdboot commands will give error (depending on which is the correct windows OS partition). Can ignore that.
I will do this tomorrow. So to clarify, delete the 99mb partition. And why do i need to assign H to partition 1? Just curious. And also do i ignore what you crossed out?

What do i do now? Ive booted onto it
Read this carefully

1. Boot until the you see "install now" button, see at bottom corner left, click repair your computer, click troubleshoot, and click CMD.
  2. - type Diskpart and enter,
- type list disk and enter,
- type sel disk # and enter (# corresponds to the number of your drive that have windows installed at),
- type list vol and enter,
- type sel vol # and enter (# change it to the number that have Fat32 format and is under Letter C) It should be like this:
unknown.png

Then do this

1. type assign letter=V and enter
  2. type format V: /fs=fat32 and enter
  3. type exit and enter
  4. type bcdboot C:\Windows /s V: /f UEFI and enter
  5. if everything finished, exit the command prompt, and try to boot to the PC.
I am pretty confused where did you put the OS. both of drive C and D of yours have 2 Fat32 partition. On mine it always stay on 100mb, it should be under C, did ever ecounter to your problem much much before.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Is this a pre-built pc, like dell or Acer or Lenovo? They'll quite often have reserved/hidden partitions on the main drive that contain all the systemware, bloatware etc for that company. The other hidden partition being the rescue disc containing windows cab folders.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
w
Read this carefully

1. Boot until the you see "install now" button, see at bottom corner left, click repair your computer, click troubleshoot, and click CMD.
- type sel disk # and enter (# corresponds to the number of your drive that have windows installed at),
- type sel vol # and enter (# change it to the number that have Fat32 format and is under Letter C) It should be like this:
unknown.png

Then do this

3. type bcdboot C:\Windows /s V: /f UEFI and enter
  4. if everything finished, exit the command prompt, and try to boot to the PC.
I am pretty confused where did you put the OS. both of drive C and D of yours have 2 Fat32 partition. On mine it always stay on 100mb, did ever ecounter to your problem much much before.

I have my OS on my c drive. I don’t know why my C drive and D drive have 2 FAT32 partition, don’t really know what that means tbh. I haven’t encountered anything like this before.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Is this a pre-built pc, like dell or Acer or Lenovo? They'll quite often have reserved/hidden partitions on the main drive that contain all the systemware, bloatware etc for that company. The other hidden partition being the rescue disc containing windows cab folders.
It’s a pre built, but by some random name, ADMI.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Read this carefully

unknown.png

Then do this

3. type bcdboot C:\Windows /s V: /f UEFI and enter
  4. if everything finished, exit the command prompt, and try to boot to the PC.
I am pretty confused where did you put the OS. both of drive C and D of yours have 2 Fat32 partition. On mine it always stay on 100mb, did ever ecounter to your problem much much before.
Wait so should i do SkyNetRising’s commands before yours? Or do i do both because i don’t know which one to do or which one to do first

Wait so should i do SkyNetRising’s commands before yours? Or do i do both because i don’t know which one to do or which one to do first
You should ignore Koekieezz post completely.
He didn't address multiple system partition issue.​
He's using some unrelated partition configuration screenshot.​
He's formatting bootloader. Most likely not necessary here.​
Just go ahead and execute steps listed in post #26.

Well it works for me. including the "Access denied" while trying to use /bootrec commands. i ever ecountered this bcs i used to have 2 drive containing windows and it's my fault because the windows wont repair itself and cant boot to the os, until i tried some commands online and found this one works. I think it completely remake the BCD boot file, and up until now, my os drive didnt lose any data after that day. As far As i remember, i formatted and rebuild the one that is 100MB ones, not the 500MB one..

But hey maybe yours could fix the bcd in a seconds, better than mine :D

Last edited:

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Ok so i’ll do yours, so delete one of the system partitions and do the rest.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Well it works for me. including the "Access denied" while trying to use /bootrec commands. i ever ecountered this bcs i used to have 2 drive containing windows and it's my fault because the windows wont repair itself and cant boot to the os, until i tried some commands online and found this one works. I think it completely remake the BCD boot file, and up until now, my os drive didnt lose any data after that day. As far As i remember, i formatted and rebuild the one that is 100MB ones, not the 500MB one..

I’ll maybe try yours too

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020

i can’t boot to the usb help it can’t find it in the boot options

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
How did you previously get into recovery environment?
Do the same as before.
I have the boot option 1 to the usb. But there is two variants. I booted to ‘UEFI, Usb 2.0 Partition 1’ and didn’t work, then the second variant was ‘USB 2.0’ without the UEFI or partition on it. So i chose that one and it’s booted to it.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Anyway - execute this.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 2
select partition 1
assign letter=H
exit

Ok i did everything but when i did the last command it says failure when attempting to copy boot files

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Can you show a photo?

You'll have to format bootloader partition in this case.
Execute following and show a photo:
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
I’m currently in bed rn (i live in UK) so i will take a photo tomorrow of what comes up. And i’ll also do those commands and show a photo

Status
Not open for further replies.