Question BCD corrupted, cannot repair in Advanced Recovery Mode ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Hi, i recently did a Windows quality update and i got several pop ups after a reboot saying ‘We couldn’t complete the updates, undoing changes’. This kept coming up. But one time i booted up my pc and it did not start up, instead giving me the screen to the advanced repair mode. I did all the options in the troubleshoot section, nothing worked. I did the command prompt, and ran a couple commands including BCD. It appears my BCD is corrupted. So i did the BCD repair commands, but they didn’t work. So i was stuck.

I clicked "Continue to Windows", but didn’t go back to the same screen, instead the horrible ‘Your device/pc needs to be repaired’. And the 4 options to boot on the advanced recovery, BIOS, and 2 others i forgot. I tried pressing F1 which was the allocated button for booting into the Advanced recovery again, but it didn’t work instead yakking me back to the same screen.

So currently i am stuck on the repair screen, not able to do anything on it except use the button to go into BIOS, but i don’t think i can do anything in that to get into Windows. So i think, 99% my BCD being corrupted is what caused my Windows to not boot up. I need some help because Resetting the PC is my last resort. I hope this massive oarsgraph makes sense to you.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
I think the BCD is corrupted. I did the advanced recovery options like command prompt and ran the BCD Commands and it said it was corrupted. Now I greet the repair screen every reboot. Should I get a usb flash drive and install Windows recovery on it or install a windows installation guide on it? which one?

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Yes sir, you could just do boot override and pick the flash drive, there you will boot to the windows installer. also for the usb just buy any cheap 8gbs drive.
So does this windows installation tool that is on the usb drive perform a full reset and reinstall? Or like a ‘Choose what to keep before you reset’ sort of thing? Also once i get the usb flash drive and have the windows installer thing on it, what do i do next? Just want to know in advance

So does this windows installation tool that is on the usb drive perform a full reset and reinstall? Or like a ‘Choose what to keep before you reset’ sort of thing? Also once i get the usb flash drive and have the windows installer thing on it, what do i do next? Just want to know in advance
nope, just repairing the BCD, thats why a windows installer from a pendrive is needed

Reactions: Kyroix 74
I did the command prompt, and ran a couple commands including BCD. It appears my BCD is corrupted. So i did the BCD repair commands, but they didn’t work.
What commands did you try?
Main command to use in this situation is bcdboot command.
syntax: bcdboot X:\windows /s Y:
(X: windows OS partition, Y: bootloader partition. You have to find correct drive letters first)
If you didn't use it, then it's highly unlikely to fix corrupted bcd store.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
What commands did you try?
Main command to use in this situation is bcdboot command.
syntax: bcdboot X:\windows /s Y:
(X: windows OS partition, Y: bootloader partition. You have to find correct drive letters first)
If you didn't use it, then it's highly unlikely to fix corrupted bcd store.
I think i did that one and a couple others can’t remember

Do you even have a MBR disk on Legacy BIOS? Because that's what the fixmbr and bcdboot C:\Windows are for.

For a GPT boot disk it's either bcdboot C:\Windows /s s: /f all or bcdboot C:\Windows /s s: /f uefi

Keep in mind that just replacing the BCD can lead to all sorts of things not working anymore like System Restore or Hibernation because they will point to a missing volume

Status
Not open for further replies.