Question Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 forgets to cool

gtagijs

Honorable
Oct 26, 2017
Hey everyone, hope you're doing well!
I ordered a new CPU cooler for my I7-8700K, the new CPU cooler being the Be Quiet Pure Rock 2. I installed it with a friend, he works at a PC repair shop so does this stuff for a living. I am no stranger to building pc's as well, so we were pretty confident about it.
We managed to install it quite quickly, applied the thermal paste and of course removed the little plastic thing around the cooler. Only after checking the temps I noticed something was off.
I was hitting a 100 degrees just at the Windows 10 boot, so you can imagine my fear during a stress test. I previously had the Antec A30, which really isn't the best cooler but did a way better job.

I have remounted and reapplied the cooler and thermal paste several times, I haven't taken the backplate off though, as tomorrow my new case will be here so the mobo will be taken out anyways. I did manage to make it all a bit less extreme, I can boot my PC without going into the 100's, more like 80/90 max. I still feel like something's off though,
I am kinda running out of options, and while posting this on Reddit has helped a bit, I still am dealing with temps that are too high for me to be comfortable with. I purchased this cooler because of course, I wanted my CPU to be cooler. Could this be related to airflow? Or is it more plausible that the cooler itself is causing the issue, being a hardware fault or a human mistake?

Before you ask, all the fans are spinning and being recognized. Setting the cooler curve to a minimum of 100% doesn't solve the peaks, so right now I have a CPU cooler that from everything I can check, should work better than it does. While typing this my CPU cores are 33/34 degrees celcius, as I am only using my browser. The problems really start once it's starting to get a load of 30/40%, where hiting 70/80 degrees really is not rare right now.

Any help or advice is more than welcome, please do let me know if I can help you by providing info or photo's, I will do my best!

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Please include ambient room air temps as well. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? Might want to also reinspect the backplate for the cooler's mount, often times people neglect the orientation and end up with an improper mount.

If the cooler is having an issue, the same issue will surface on another(donor) platform. You could also try swapping the fans and see if the issue persists.

gtagijs

Honorable
Oct 26, 2017
Alright!
CPU: I7-8700K (No OC)
Motherboard: ASUS H370 PRO Gaming (no wifi)
Ram: 2x Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2666MHZ (using XMP)
SSD/HDD: Kingston NVME M.2 1TB, WD 1TB HDD, WD 4TB External USB HDD
GPU: ASUS GTX 1060 6G
PSU: Corsair (i think) VS650
Chassis: Cooler Master K350, getting replaced tomorrow
Monitor: Not sure about the model, LG 144HZ 1080P
Room temps are about 20 degrees celcius, im Dutch so no extreme climates here
My bios is up to date, i can't check right now but i believe its version 2201 or 2202.

To elaborate further, my airflow definitely could be better. Theres one case fan which can be found at the back. Due to the screwing around in my PC most cables are between the front of the case and the right side of my mobo. Could this play a role?
As my new case will be here tomorrow I could take a look at the backplate, while also being able to do some cable management. What exactly could be wrong with the backplate? What do you mean by the orientation.

With my former CPU fan i definitely didnt experience these kinds of temps, which was an Antec A30. If necessary, i could put it back tomorrow

gtagijs

Honorable
Oct 26, 2017
How is your case airflow? I have a Bequiet Pure rock 2 FX, on a 12700k, in an ITX Coolermaster NR200, and never have temps anywhere near that. The only difference between mine and yours is the RGB fan mine came with. Photos of your case may help.

The cables are this messy mainly because my new case will be here tomorrow. I am by no means an expert when it comes down to airflow etc, so if you think the position of these wires is the main suspect so to say, i know what to do tomorrow!

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, that's a bit of a rat's nest and will hurt airflow. It's hard to see much air getting around that case.

Not the problem here, but I'm highly concerned why you have a really old (orange in the letters), not very good, entry-level PSU in there. This is really something I'd want to remedy before there's a problem.

TRENDING THREADS