[SOLVED] Beefy PC, But Low FPS and Low Benchmark

ctcamm

Commendable
Jul 13, 2018
Hi Guys. I'm confused as to why my PC isn't performing as well as it should.

When playing CS GO, I noticed my framerate being much lower than I thought it should be. Averaging 180 fps, highest is around 230 and lowest around 150. Changing graphics settings does not affect the performance either (max settings on 2k monitor vs lowest on 1080p monitor), and my CPU is at 25% usage when playing. Considering CS is CPU heavy, I don't understand why I would have low FPS AND low CPU usage. Multicore Rendering is enabled btw.

On the other hand, Rocket league can get a steady average 240 FPS with almost every detail set to max at 1080p (World Detail on Performance, no lens flare, no motion blur)

On top of this, I ran a benchmark with UserBenchmark and discovered the PC is running below expectations (28th percentile rather than the average of 50).

UserBenchmarks: Game 103%, Desk 78%, Work 78%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X - 80.8%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080-Ti - 126.7%
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB - 94.5%
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB - 74.8%
MBD: Asus PRIME X470-PRO
Photos : View: https://imgur.com/a/NTnBToD

Graphics and CPU drivers up to date. Not sure what to do.

Any thoughts?

Solution
As I understand it CSGO is thread limited, so it won't utilise all threads of the 2700X. I would guess that a couple of individual threads are maxed out to 100%.

The pictures you've posted of Userbenchmark clearly state you have a lot of background tasks as well. You may want to check what you have going on there. And where the individual components are on the spectrum of performance I would guess with the graphics card and CPU is dependent on overclocking.
As I understand it CSGO is thread limited, so it won't utilise all threads of the 2700X. I would guess that a couple of individual threads are maxed out to 100%.

The pictures you've posted of Userbenchmark clearly state you have a lot of background tasks as well. You may want to check what you have going on there. And where the individual components are on the spectrum of performance I would guess with the graphics card and CPU is dependent on overclocking.

Solution

ctcamm

Commendable
Jul 13, 2018
I've closed everything and have noticed an increase. Also increased ram speed to 3200 as it should be. Average fps has increased to 240 ish but around 210 on a matchmaking server. Benchmark is much better now.

Perhaps I need to overclock the cpu? Curious as to how people get 500+ fps on CS GO

Likely an Intel CPU heavily overclocked for those high framerates.

From what I understand it isn't until Zen 2 (the Ryzen 3000 series CPUs) when AMD achieve IPC parity with Intel (though there are some suggesting they have surpassed them), but crucially Intel still holds a clockspeed advantage.

Overclocking will likely help a bit more for you depending how much headroom your CPU has left.

Reactions: ctcamm