Behold, The Return Of The Model F And Its Buckling Spring

Status
Not open for further replies.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I need a little help here...
Why would one pay $325-$399 for it? I know I'm not in the loop when it comes to enthusiast KBs, but my IBM model M has more keys that that. And looks better. Please fill this uninformed dummy in on the error in my thinking.

Put a cup holder in the middle and I'm sold.

mwryder55

Distinguished
If I could figure out how to get my PS/2 Model M keyboards to work with Windows 10 I would be very happy. I loved the feel of those keyboards and still have 2 in good shape. The problem is that they won't work in Windows 10 from a cold boot. They work in the BIOS and after a warm reboot, just not in a cold boot.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You'd need to have the kb driver load at boot from cmos, otherwise it has to wait til it loads with windows. A cold boot releases any stored drivers, a warm boot doesn't, they stay in the ram. You'd need a custom cmos file, not for the uninitiated or faint of heart to say the least.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

That's odd. My Model M works in Win10 just fine. Does your board have a PS/2 port or are you using a USB adapter?

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
http://www.pckeyboard.com/
Model Ms, right here! USB or PS2, I have a PS1 from about 10 years ago. I'll admit, when I see an article or news post about keyboards, I just skip it, I know what I like and won't be looking elsewhere.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Thanks for the link. I wonder if those $36 boards are any good? What they lack from the better ones?

mwryder55

Distinguished

I am using the PS/2 port on an ASUS motherboard. The keyboard works fine in the BIOS screen even from a cold boot but will not work in Windows unless I do a warm reboot. I tried a USB adapter with the same results. The only thing I can think of is that the keyboard doesn't respond quick enough when booting for some reason.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Are you using Windows 10’s Fast Startup, by any chance?
I noticed you said keyboard"s" plural. Are they all they same, and do any of them work at the initial boot?

mwryder55

Distinguished

I have two keyboards from 1996 and neither works with a cold boot. I will mess around with fast startup to see if maybe having it save the drivers on shutdown will enable them when I boot back up.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

Looking at the link, it appears to just be the green key caps. No keyboard included.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Lol... (laughing at self)
You appear to be right. I didn't take the time to read the description. So much finding a $36 model M... Thanks for saving me an embarrassing order.

LordConrad

Distinguished
Nothing new here, I've been using a Unicomp Classic 104-key buckling spring keyboard for years, I have two of them. Nothing beats the noisy, tactile feel of the buckling spring!
https://www.pckeyboard.com/

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
You lost me at $325. It looks like a $3.25 keyboard at a yard sale, not $325, wtf. Did they forget to add the decimal point somewhere?

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
I'm confused when did they dust off all of the keyboards from the 80's? I did not know 1980 style key boards were making a come back. It is a good thing I kept my old old FUJITSU Mechanical Keyboard. I used to use it in the early 90's it was very click friendly but not as clicky as the IBM M series. I guess I was using mechanical keyboards way before they made a come back now. I remember it being very heavy as well since it had a full metal frame and bottom it cots a fair amount as well if bought brand new. I used to get most of my computer stuff from swap meets so I think I paid like $10 CAD for it brand new they sold for $150.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
I've never been able to figure out why people wouldn't use a well built mechanical. Their lifespans are so much longer, they pay for themselves over having to replace a cheap keyboard every couple of years, cause the most important keys wear out. Plus you get the awesome function of the keyboard to boot.

g-unit1111

Titan

Man that thing makes my hands hurt just looking at it.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Why? I got one about 17 years ago and adjusted to it in about 1 day. The keys are arranged to match the natural range of motion of your fingers, and the wells & thumb-keypads are separated and angled to keep your wrists mostly parallel.

The only negative is that it's taller than a normal keyboard, meaning that you might need to use a keyboard tray. If your desk is fixed-height, perhaps you should be using one anyhow.

Edit: I guess the other negative is the price. But, considering this is a thread about a similarly-priced keyboard with far fewer benefits, I didn't think to mention it.

g-unit1111

Titan

I've never been a big fan of ergonomic keyboards to begin with, but that one just looks like it's way out there.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

While some are garbage (or even counter-productive for reducing RSI injuries), I'm a believer in the strain-reduction and efficiency improvements of this one.

I consider that a selling point.
: )

They sell models with custom top-plates, which they say are interchangeable with the standard top-plates:

https://www.kinesis-ergo.com/shop/advantage2-graphite/
https://www.kinesis-ergo.com/shop/advantage2-signature-series/

Status
Not open for further replies.