Benchmarking GeForce GTX Titan 6 GB: Fast, Quiet, Consistent

Status
Not open for further replies.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
if you use an actual 7970 GE card that is sold on newegg, etc instead of the reference 7970 GE card that AMD gave (that you can't find anywhere) thermals and acoustics are different.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Seems like Titan is a flop (at least at $1000 price point).

This card would only be compelling if offered in the ~$700 range.

As for compute? LOL looks like this card being a compute monster goes right out the window. Titan does not really even compete that well with a 7970 costing less than half.

downhill911

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
If titan costs no more than 800USD, then really nice card to have since it does not, i call it a fail card, or hype card. Even my GTX 690 make more since and now you can have them for a really good price on ebay.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]jimbaladin[/nom]For $1000 that card sheath better be made out of platinum.[/citation]

Tell me about it! I think Nvidia shot itself on the foot with the pricing schim. I want AMD to come out with better drivers than current ones to put the 7970 at least 20% ahead of 680 and take all the sales from the greedy green. Sure it performs way better but that price is insane. I think 700-800 is the sweet spot but again it is rare, powerful beast and very consistent which is hard to find atm.

raxman

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
"We did bring these issues up with Nvidia, and were told that they all stem from its driver. Fortunately, that means we should see fixes soon." I suspect their fix will be "Use CUDA".

Nvidia has really dropped the ball on OpenCL. They don't support OpenCL 1.2, they make it difficult to find all their OpenCL examples. Their link for OpenCL is not easy to find. However their OpenCL 1.1 driver is quite good for Fermi and for the 680 and 690 despite what people say. But if the Titan has troubles it looks like they will be giving up on the driver now as well or purposely crippling it (I can't imagine they did not think to test some OpenCL benchmarks which every review site uses). Nvidia does not care about OpenCL Nvidia users like myself anymore. I wish there more people influential like Linus Torvalds that told Nvidia where to go.

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Titan is made for a very small segment. The Microstutter issue for high end systems is very annoying, becuase you spent thousands, and at that point, it should work perfectly. A 690 will kill just about any game, but it does have microstutter issues. Why not get a Titan, who may have a slightly lower FPS, but a much better over all game.

The Titan has a much smoother feel with the lows being better, and micro stutter almost completly gone. Now, if you go triple SLI with a 690, micro stutter is gone, but you are likely to do insane resolutions, and the lower amount of memory will bit you.

The only reason to get a 690, is if you plan to only get 1, because you cant afford 2k in titans.

Actually this card seems to be an engineer miracle (comparing GF110 vs GK110 its almost twice performance from one generation to an other). The frame latencies from such a gaming beast are also impressive.
But its a single gpu ffs. Cut the memory to 3GB 384bit GDDR5 keep the SMX at 14/15 (2,688 cores) and priced it $750. (Its expensive again but it would sell a lot more)
Then take a full GK110 15/15 (2,880) SMX with 6GB 384bit GDDR5 give it 100Mhz more on the core and name Titan Ultra at $1000+...
Everyone is happy then.

I was defiantly expecting more from Titan, especially for that $1000 price tag.
Really, I would like to see it priced around $650ish before it is considered competitive.

Also, way to go AMD; your GCN arch really is the king of compute!
I was honestly expecting Titan to tromp the HD 7970 GHz and am pleasantly surprised.
Future APU's with GCN onboard is looking better and better :)

[citation][nom]outlw6669[/nom]I was defiantly expecting more from Titan, especially for that $1000 price tag.Really, I would like to see it priced around $650ish before it is considered competitive.Also, way to go AMD; your GCN arch really is the king of compute!I was honestly expecting Titan to tromp the HD 7970 GHz and am pleasantly surprised.Future APU's with GCN onboard is looking better and better[/citation]
Actually Chris Angelini has already answered this.
[citation][nom]Chris Angelini[/nom]We did bring these issues up with Nvidia, and were told that they all stem from its driver. Fortunately, that means we should see fixes soon.[/citation]

Also Anandtech made some tests also and revealed that Titan is better at compute power: Anandtech

People who say that Titan should be sold for $800, my question is why the hell should it be even sold @ the $800 range? It's not even twice faster than HD 7970 or GTX 680, in most cases it's 35%...that card should be $100-200$ more than a GTX 680/HD 7970 GHz. For me this card is just good for it's appearance.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
People are missing the entire point of this. This is not a card for you or I. This is not a value card. This is at $1k for pure profit. This is an e-peen card, pure and simple.

phenom90

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
i would never buy a titan that costs $1k... i would rather choose hd 7970 instead if i'm going to purchase a new card.. a $400 card vs $1k card... only idiot will buy a card that $600 more expensive to gaming on single 1080p.. and since amd began to put more efforts on their driver support.. and hopefully their driver will turn out to be as polished as nvidia.. i may try radeon in my next purchase...

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012

Even after what, 1 year, your XFire 7970's are still the best looking setup.

Hazle

Distinguished
Titan? don't you mean a(n overpriced) GTX 680Ti?

[citation][nom]aofjax[/nom]I wonder if I can build a whole new $1000 rig that can match/exceed a single Titan.....[/citation]

probably not (for now), but you'd get a better value out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.