Question Best 2TB HDD WD or Toshiba?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 26, 2022
I Have a 6 Years Old Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD. That has been Running Slowly from few days. At first I thought there was a problem at SATA port so I changed the SATA port but the speed did not increase. Then I scanned with a software and saw showing Health Bad and Reallocated Sector Count in Red Circle. According to the information obtained from the internet, this HDD will not last long and will be ruined. Is this right that this HDD is Dying.?

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Blue is general, normal pc usage. Add some, delete some, etc. Black is higher performance version of Blue.

Purple spends its life in a constant state of trying to be full. It's a place to record a 24hr long stream, fill up the drive, write over the whole thing tomorrow. They don't do so well with the instant stop/starts of windows opening/closing files, searches, indexing, reading/writing etc.

Forget purple. It's totally wrong for a pc. Blue or Black is what you should be using.

Last edited:
Reactions: M.Saikat and KyaraM
Jun 26, 2022
Blue is general, normal pc usage. Add some, delete some, etc. Black is higher performance version of Blue.

Purple spends its life in a constant state of trying to be full. It's a place to record a 24hr long stream, fill up the drive, write over the whole thing tomorrow. They don't do so well with the instant stop/starts of windows opening/closing files, searches, indexing, reading/writing etc.

Forget purple. It's totally wrong for a pc. Blue or Black is what you should be using.
Is WD Black Better Then Blue..? My Only Two Requrements are much lifespan and performance for photos, videos, ms office, internet browsing, playing games, storing millions of files & folders data of larger then 800GB+, Long lifespan and Data Read/Write performance is most priority thing of my Requirement.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Is WD Black Better Then Blue..? My Only Two Requrements are more lifespan and performance for photos, videos, ms office, internet browsing, playing games. More Lifespan and Data Read/Write Performance is most priority thing of my Requirement.
As has been mentioned here a dozen times, "lifespan" is very very similar across all brands and models.
So please don't harp on that concept.

Performance? WD Black. (if that is actually available to you)

Reactions: KyaraM
Jun 26, 2022
As has been mentioned here a dozen times, "lifespan" is very very similar across all brands and models.
So please don't harp on that concept.

Performance? WD Black. (if that is actually available to you)
Yes i know you sayed about lifespan earlier. but i am reminding my requirements. because new suggetions are come in every new reply. now Purple is out from the Conversation and Black is coming. thats why i am getting confused. but i am getting closer to chosing a HDD for my PC.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I do like it, for its intended purpose. Which is long term power on state, constant write. It's meant for things like surveillance video. It can be used for other purposes, not saying that, but as far as reads go, the constant back and forth windows or games do, Purple kinda sucks. HDD's in general aren't much to write home about compared to even a sata ssd, but no need to make things worse.

Black is not only the highest performance general use hdd, it's also better built, more reliable, and has the longest and strongest warranty. As such it costs more than a Blue.

Jun 26, 2022
I do like it, for its intended purpose. Which is long term power on state, constant write. It's meant for things like surveillance video. It can be used for other purposes, not saying that, but as far as reads go, the constant back and forth windows or games do, Purple kinda sucks. HDD's in general aren't much to write home about compared to even a sata ssd, but no need to make things worse.

Black is not only the highest performance general use hdd, it's also better built, more reliable, and has the longest and strongest warranty. As such it costs more than a Blue.
For my requirements, Which one is better for you from this Three - WD Blue, WD Black, WD Purple.?

For my requirements, Which one is better for you from this Three - WD Blue, WD Black, WD Purple.?
WD red or purple.
Make sure it's CMR model.

Blue is generic value desktop model. Not meant for 24/7 operation. With intensive workloads it will fail sooner.
Black is performance oriented model. Will squeeze out every possible performance. But also have slightly higher failure rates.
Red and purple are true workhorses. 24/7 operation is their intended work environment.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Op has a daily use pc with a dying 6yr old Toshiba. He's going to clone that drive to save all his old info and then junk the Toshiba. The new drive will not be a backup drive, it'll not be long term storage, it'll be a regular OS, daily use C drive that sees periods of on/off states. That's normal read/writes, normal use. Not 24 hr constant.

Red, sure, why not. They are built for such. Black sure, they don't have the failure rates of Blue. Blue is fine. Green, no, those are better for long term storage seeing little traffic. Purple/Gold, no, not designed for read/write of a OS drive.

I have a WD Black that's 8 yrs old and still not a single bad sector. I had a Purple years ago that took less than a year to fail, which was a backup drive.

Op will be just fine with a Blue, Black or if must a Red.

Jun 26, 2022
Op has a daily use pc with a dying 6yr old Toshiba. He's going to clone that drive to save all his old info and then junk the Toshiba. The new drive will not be a backup drive, it'll not be long term storage, it'll be a regular OS, daily use C drive that sees periods of on/off states. That's normal read/writes, normal use. Not 24 hr constant.

Red, sure, why not. They are built for such. Black sure, they don't have the failure rates of Blue. Blue is fine. Green, no, those are better for long term storage seeing little traffic. Purple/Gold, no, not designed for read/write of a OS drive.

I have a WD Black that's 8 yrs old and still not a single bad sector. I had a Purple years ago that took less than a year to fail, which was a backup drive.

Op will be just fine with a Blue, Black or if must a Red.
WD red or purple.
Make sure it's CMR model.

Blue is generic value desktop model. Not meant for 24/7 operation. With intensive workloads it will fail sooner.
Black is performance oriented model. Will squeeze out every possible performance. But also have slightly higher failure rates.
Red and purple are true workhorses. 24/7 operation is their intended work environment.
No i am not installing OS in HDD ( i have a SSD ). HDD is for my all data storing. i not want to change HDD for every 3-5 Years or less. I not want to move the data to new a HDD in every 3-5 years or less then this time, I want a HDD that will give be performance. and long life.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022
So which specific one are you thinking of buying, and why?
For now, There is no one.
I also have a WD purple drive - 8TB model, 6 years old. Still going strong, don't have a single complain about it.
Purple is Good, But it is for Surveillance Sytem. as far as i know it has good Write Speed but not good in Read.
And I recently had a 16TB Toshiba Enterprise drive die, at the 7 month mark.
Doesn't mean I would avoid those in the future.
And its replacement is running just fine.
WD Blue is good for 2nd & 1st Gen. Motherboards but for higher Gen. from 2nd it has Very low Performance( My is 10th Gen. ), Purple is For Surveillance System. as i know. it has Good Write Speed But Not Good Read. and i am thinking will This Surveillance System Will do any problem?, Black is best HDD for Performance but it has 7200RPM and Higher Price.

DSzymborski

Titan
Honestly, the problem with the thread is that the wrong question is being asked. The original poster is ignoring the actual problem while focusing on the irrelevant one.

The problem isn't hard drive dependability, it's lack of a backup. In this case, with no apparently backup solution in place, two used WD Blue drives, constantly monitored with daily backups, is far preferable for the preservation of long-term data than a single new WD Black drive.

OP, you need to get the idea that your problem is the lifespan of hardware out of your head. That's not your problem. Your problem is the preservation of your data and it's a problem you are completely ignoring. Having one very good quality hard drive and counting on simply moving data to the next very good quality hard drive a decade later is a horrible, terrible, abysmal, awful, solution. Your whole approach to the issue is giving you a high probability of completely losing your data at some point.

Purple is Good, But it is for Surveillance Sytem. as far as i know it has good Write Speed but not good in Read.
Reads are perfectly fine. Not as good as on WD black, but still very good.
Depends on particular drive model of course.
Here's one example:

pSorlAd.png

Reactions: M.Saikat
Jun 26, 2022
Honestly, the problem with the thread is that the wrong question is being asked. The original poster is ignoring the actual problem while focusing on the irrelevant one.

The problem isn't hard drive dependability, it's lack of a backup. In this case, with no apparently backup solution in place, two used WD Blue drives, constantly monitored with daily backups, is far preferable for the preservation of long-term data than a single new WD Black drive.

OP, you need to get the idea that your problem is the lifespan of hardware out of your head. That's not your problem. Your problem is the preservation of your data and it's a problem you are completely ignoring. Having one very good quality hard drive and counting on simply moving data to the next very good quality hard drive a decade later is a horrible, terrible, abysmal, awful, solution. Your whole approach to the issue is giving you a high probability of completely losing your data at some point.
Ok then i am creating new Thread.
and i sayed many times that lifespan and performance of HDDs are my 2 requirements. So i can't out the lifespan of HDD from my head.

USAFRet

Titan
Ok then i am creating new Thread.
and i sayed many times that lifespan and performance of HDDs are my 2 requirements. So i can't out the lifespan of HDD from my head.
No...not a new thread.

Regarding "lifespan":

Let's look at some representative data, with a drive I have experience with.

16TB Toshiba Enterprise. Model MG08ACA16E

Backblaze stats from 2021 show it at a 0.91% annual fail rate.

Mostly in the middle of all drives there.

If me and 999 of my neighbors bought one of these, 9 of us would have had a dead drive last year.
Myself and 8 others.

The other 991 individuals would have had NO problem.

In my case, all data was recovered from my standard backup routine. Nothing was lost.
(except time it took Toshiba to get me a new one)

Again....do not start a NEW thread on this.