[SOLVED] Best Bang for Buck GPU for SOLIDWORKS

AkaSh SAncheti

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
Hello People ,

What will be the adequate Processor and Graphics card for running apps ( mainly )

Corel Draw
Autocad
Solidworks

I have read online and only solid works is a bit more demanding of VRAM . So i wanted to know what specs can be adequate & also can't have budget to buy a quadro card .

Thanks in advance

Solution
Yes, the 2700x should work ok, although, if you really want decent performance in those particular applications which are primarily single threaded applications that show the most benefit from a CPU with strong single core performance, then I'd focus on either an 8th or 9th gen Coffee lake/Coffee lake refresh or 3rd Gen Ryzen 3000 series processor because they both have significantly better single core performance/IPC than the 2nd gen Ryzen processors. But in a pinch, and if money is going to be pretty tight with no good options for one of those CPUs and a compatible motherboard and memory, then it could still work halfway decent.
What kind of budget DO you have, and what country are you in so we can make recommendations that are actually relevant to your region?

Also, what is your EXACT power supply model number? You can't just slap any graphics card you want in there if you don't have a power supply with sufficient quality and capacity to support it.

AkaSh SAncheti

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
What kind of budget DO you have, and what country are you in so we can make recommendations that are actually relevant to your region?

Also, what is your EXACT power supply model number? You can't just slap any graphics card you want in there if you don't have a power supply with sufficient quality and capacity to support it.

i am from India , and gonna buy every thing new , 1000 dollars max

INR or dollars?

Are you doing advanced work in those applications at a professional capacity? Do you want the best card you can get for 1000 or just a card that will do what you need it to for the least price you can get it for?

I'd probably say this would be an exceptional choice, although you could probably just as well get along with the 2060 Super which also has 8GB of VRAM and is a lot less expensive:

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card (₹63572.00 @ Newegg India)
Total: ₹63572.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-19 20:30 IST+0530

Just as important, or maybe more, might be that you also have 32GB or more of system memory as well. Many of these applications you've listed use that just as much if not more than GPU compute or CUDA features.

AkaSh SAncheti

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
INR or dollars?

Are you doing advanced work in those applications at a professional capacity? Do you want the best card you can get for 1000 or just a card that will do what you need it to for the least price you can get it for?

I'd probably say this would be an exceptional choice, although you could probably just as well get along with the 2060 Super which also has 8GB of VRAM and is a lot less expensive:

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card (₹63572.00 @ Newegg India)
Total: ₹63572.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-19 20:30 IST+0530

Just as important, or maybe more, might be that you also have 32GB or more of system memory as well. Many of these applications you've listed use that just as much if not more than GPU compute or CUDA features.

Hi sorry for late reply , was out . My budget is 70k-80k INR for this setup. So can you suggest me a full setup under this budget? And for the usage , you can say a moderate work , cause it will only use max 7-8 parts in the process in solidworks , am i saying it right?

Yes, the 2700x should work ok, although, if you really want decent performance in those particular applications which are primarily single threaded applications that show the most benefit from a CPU with strong single core performance, then I'd focus on either an 8th or 9th gen Coffee lake/Coffee lake refresh or 3rd Gen Ryzen 3000 series processor because they both have significantly better single core performance/IPC than the 2nd gen Ryzen processors. But in a pinch, and if money is going to be pretty tight with no good options for one of those CPUs and a compatible motherboard and memory, then it could still work halfway decent.

Solution

AkaSh SAncheti

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
The main thing which i am stuck on is the fricking GPU , i don't think so i can put in a quadro GPU in this price range . so 3700x > 2700x? & for the memory 16gb is good or i will have to go for 32gb?

Thaks :)

Why would you need an expensive quadro graphics card when the RTX 20 series cards can run Solidworks just fine. True, a very high end RTX Quadro card will be better, but it will be significantly more expensive too. There are some features like Realview and Ambient Occlusion that I'm not sure will run on a 20 series card and require a quadro card for official support, but that's something you'll have to look into.

How much RAM you need depends on the size of the assemblies you are working with, but for most people unless you are doing very large, complex assemblies, 16GB is probably enough. If you can afford 32GB and can get it ALL in ONE kit, not a bunch of random modules or even the same module bought separately, then it might be a good idea especially if you are doing this professionally.

I don't know. That is up to you.

I still don't really understand what your full budget is, exactly which parts you DO need and which parts you don't need, exactly WHAT it is you are DOING with Solidworks, at what LEVEL you are doing it or where you are able to most easily purchase parts through. Seems like we've been dancing around the edge of those questions and I'm pretty sure it's mainly due to me not emphasizing that they are critical questions to ask before trying to throw parts together.

AkaSh SAncheti

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014

I still don't really understand what your full budget is, exactly which parts you DO need and which parts you don't need, exactly WHAT it is you are DOING with Solidworks, at what LEVEL you are doing it or where you are able to most easily purchase parts through. Seems like we've been dancing around the edge of those questions and I'm pretty sure it's mainly due to me not emphasizing that they are critical questions to ask before trying to throw parts together.

Ahh , i think i mentioned earlier that if its regarding the uage of the application , it will be used you know 10-15 parts or whatever you say , medium use , & regarding my whole budget , i said earlier also that its up to 80k - 90k INR (Whole Budget) .

Just for trying i used a Ryzen 5 1600 Processor and a gtx 970 & 2 x 4gb & was a lagfest. And as said before i can buy the parts second hand also if i'd get it cheap.

AkaSh SAncheti

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014

Hi , i am sorry i was unable to reply on my forum and you didnt eventually replied . Please check this and let me know if its good ? or else your recommendations for this ? my max budget is 1000$ (70,000-75,000 INR )
so i have decided on my parts , please let me know if this is ok or not , the assemblies in solidworks will be not more than 10-12 parts .

Ryzen 5 3600
Msi b450 Tomahawk Motherboard
Corsair 8gb x 2 3200mhz CS16
Rtx 2060 Super
Corsiar Cx 650m PSU
Samsung 860 evo 1tb ssd
and for the cooler can i use the stock fan ?