[SOLVED] Best camera for both photography and videography but mainly videography

daniel.staszak111003

Commendable
Jan 2, 2019
Hi, I have recently been searching for a camera that is good for both photography and videography but I'm not too sure what to look out for. I know how to operate a camera but I am still a beginner in terms of specs. I have heard many terms and abbreviations and it all seems like absolutely everything is important and I find that a bit confusing. What I am looking for is a camera that can take beautiful pictures and that is capable of shooting good looking music videos. My budget is around £600. I would really appreciate it if someone could find the right camera for me. Thank you

Solution
I would look at the lens selection at school, what mounts they have and base your camera selection on that. I prefer a good selection of Prime lenses, I'm not a fan of zoom lenses. If I need to zoom, I prefer to just move closer to my subject, by foot with a gimbal or with my camera mounted on a slider.

As for video, I do like canon's dual pixel CMOS AF system for video. Make sure you buy a camera that can handle some sort of video raw S-Log, C-Log etc.... video recording. Then download Devinci Resolve(free) on your PC and learn how to color grade video. This will make your music videos look professional and real like it was filmed for MTV. Make sure it can do 60fps or 120fps as well, so you can slow down video on certain...
Well let's start with the basics: are you interested in a camera with removable interchangeable lenses or is an all in one compact camera more of what you're thinking about. Perhaps something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Digit..._1_2?keywords=Sony+ZV-1&qid=1636944889&sr=8-2

Or if you're thinking of interchangeable lenses, how many would you need? A general zoom 28-85mm lens, a 100mm portrait lens?

Hi, I have recently been searching for a camera that is good for both photography and videography but I'm not too sure what to look out for. I know how to operate a camera but I am still a beginner in terms of specs. I have heard many terms and abbreviations and it all seems like absolutely everything is important and I find that a bit confusing. What I am looking for is a camera that can take beautiful pictures and that is capable of shooting good looking music videos. My budget is around £600. I would really appreciate it if someone could find the right camera for me. Thank you
Well you’re looking at used really for that price what resolution and frame rate are you after?

daniel.staszak111003

Commendable
Jan 2, 2019
Well you’re looking at used really for that price what resolution and frame rate are you after?
Well I am looking for the best possible specs really hahahaha. I will say that I have had a closer look at the Canon M50 and Canon 250D but I feel like they are very similar and I'm also worried there is something better than these two.

daniel.staszak111003

Commendable
Jan 2, 2019
Well let's start with the basics: are you interested in a camera with removable interchangeable lenses or is an all in one compact camera more of what you're thinking about. Perhaps something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Digit..._1_2?keywords=Sony+ZV-1&qid=1636944889&sr=8-2

Or if you're thinking of interchangeable lenses, how many would you need? A general zoom 28-85mm lens, a 100mm portrait lens?
I am more interested in removable lenses. For now, I would not mind using the lens that comes with a camera because I am still a college student and we are allowed to rent out lenses for free.

Well I am looking for the best possible specs really hahahaha. I will say that I have had a closer look at the Canon M50 and Canon 250D but I feel like they are very similar and I'm also worried there is something better than these two.

I currently have a Fuji X-T30 which is solid for video (though it tops out at 10 mins at 4K, which is actually downsampled 6K) and great for photos, especially JPEGs. You can get one used with the kit lens for £600~ and the kit lens is actually perfectly useable, much better than the canon kit lens. However additional lens are much more expensive on Fuji.

ther than that the A6000 series from Sony is a solid pick too.

daniel.staszak111003

Commendable
Jan 2, 2019
I currently have a Fuji X-T30 which is solid for video (though it tops out at 10 mins at 4K, which is actually downsampled 6K) and great for photos, especially JPEGs. You can get one used with the kit lens for £600~ and the kit lens is actually perfectly useable, much better than the canon kit lens. However additional lens are much more expensive on Fuji.

ther than that the A6000 series from Sony is a solid pick too.
Oh OK I'll have a look :)

I would look at the lens selection at school, what mounts they have and base your camera selection on that. I prefer a good selection of Prime lenses, I'm not a fan of zoom lenses. If I need to zoom, I prefer to just move closer to my subject, by foot with a gimbal or with my camera mounted on a slider.

As for video, I do like canon's dual pixel CMOS AF system for video. Make sure you buy a camera that can handle some sort of video raw S-Log, C-Log etc.... video recording. Then download Devinci Resolve(free) on your PC and learn how to color grade video. This will make your music videos look professional and real like it was filmed for MTV. Make sure it can do 60fps or 120fps as well, so you can slow down video on certain scenes, but still look like smooth video.

I also like Sony and own all sony equipment as well. They have the best selection of mirrorless lenses.

For photo's, I only shoot in RAW and I would learn how to edit raw to really bring out the dynamic range in the shadows and highlights. This is where all your picture will go from "meh" to "wow" especially during golden hour.

Solution