Oct 18, 2021
Current setup
Hi, I do have a Be Quiet Pure Base 500DX and recently bough 2 additional Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 140mm High Speed fans with no PWM. Basically thay have an sata adapter that allows to apply 5V, 7V or 12V. Right now I put 2 pure wings 2 140mm fans on front as intake, 1 pure wings 2 140mm on rear as exhaust fan and these newly bought silent wings fans on top as exhaust. All pure wings 2 were configured to run at 700 RPM at least and ~800 RPM when CPU(Ryzen 7 3700x) is around 60 degrees. The high speed silent wings fans were connected using the adapter and applied 5V so basically they ran ~600RPM. When I was last checking the air that comes out of top fans, the one that was placed over the CPU tower cooler(Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4) was blowing hot air and the one that was placed closely to the front was blowing cold air.
The 135mm CPU fan is running at 900 RPM and 140mm is running at 800 RPM at least.
Temps
Right now during OCCT CPU test I am getting 68 degrees on CPU and around 40-41 on my RAM (sensors from G. Skill TridentZ), during the AIDA64 benchmark I am getting around 70 degrees on CPU, Cinebench R23 - 60 degrees on CPU. When gaming the CPU is usually 50-55 degrees. The video card however(Asus Strix GTX 980) is getting 70 degrees and almost 90 degrees on hot spot when playing The Witcher 3 or Kingdom Come Deliverance. Two m.2 ssds are usually within 30-45 degrees range depending on the load.
Questions
I am worrying about my RAM and GPU. Are those temps ok? Does it make sense to have the second top fan as exhaust(the one that blew cold air) or can I position it as intake and leave another top fan as exhaust in this chassis? Or maybe it makes sense to put the high speed version on the front with 7V applied and move the two pure wings fan to the top as exhaust?

Solution
I am worrying about my RAM and GPU. Are those temps ok?
Yes.

Does it make sense to have the second top fan as exhaust(the one that blew cold air) or can I position it as intake and leave another top fan as exhaust in this chassis?
That second exhaust fan does not immediately benefit your system. It is for when the gpu is active, as it is typically the biggest heat producer, with most models dumping their waste heat inside your PC.
Changing it to intake will create an airflow loop between it and the fan next to it, thus not really doing anything.

Or maybe it makes sense to put the high speed version on the front with 7V applied and move the two pure wings fan to the top as exhaust?
Can't get a clean-cut answer...

Lutfij

Titan
I'd remove the fan mounted at the top closer to the front to avoid having all the air intake sent out the top as soon as it enters the chassis. The GPU you speak of does seem to be running hotter but this is 2021 and you're working with a GPU that's already on it's way out in people's hands or on shelves as a collectors item. You could try and replace the thermal paste on the GPU and go for higher pedigree thermal pads but the temps are high on the GPUs ide.

Mind sharing a picture of your build for the sake of relevance? Specs to your entire build? Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Reactions: OscarVegener
Oct 18, 2021
I'd remove the fan mounted at the top closer to the front to avoid having all the air intake sent out the top as soon as it enters the chassis. The GPU you speak of does seem to be running hotter but this is 2021 and you're working with a GPU that's already on it's way out in people's hands or on shelves as a collectors item. You could try and replace the thermal paste on the GPU and go for higher pedigree thermal pads but the temps are high on the GPUs ide.

Mind sharing a picture of your build for the sake of relevance? Specs to your entire build? Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B550-f Gaming
Ram: 2x8 GB 3200 CL16 HyperX Fury, 2x8 GB 3600 CL18 G. Skill Trident Z; running at 3600 Mhz CL18
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980
PSU: Be Quiet Dark power 750w
Chassis: Be Quiet Pure Base 500dx
Monitor: some asus 75 hz
Can't share picture now.
BTW, I have put the two Silent wings 3 on front and connected using the 7V adapter. One of the Pure wings 2 I have put on top closer to rear as exhaust fan. This setup does seem a lot better and temps has gone down by a few degrees on CPU and RAM.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I am worrying about my RAM and GPU. Are those temps ok?
Yes.

Does it make sense to have the second top fan as exhaust(the one that blew cold air) or can I position it as intake and leave another top fan as exhaust in this chassis?
That second exhaust fan does not immediately benefit your system. It is for when the gpu is active, as it is typically the biggest heat producer, with most models dumping their waste heat inside your PC.
Changing it to intake will create an airflow loop between it and the fan next to it, thus not really doing anything.

Or maybe it makes sense to put the high speed version on the front with 7V applied and move the two pure wings fan to the top as exhaust?
Can't get a clean-cut answer to everything - gotta do the testing yourself on that one.

Reactions: OscarVegener
Solution