Best CPU matches for Gtx 750ti

bibakos

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
Hello everyone.

Like the title says i'm looking for the best cpu(pref intel) matches for my nvidia GTX 750ti.
I'm going to use it for gaming mainly.Since this is a budget GPU i'm looking for a budget cpu as well.

Waiting for your answers!Thanks in advance.

Solution
As the GTX 750 Ti is not terribly fast I would not think it horrible to pair it with an FX-6300. It is not an Intel chip like you want but it is not a weak chip either. It's quite affordable, most times you can find them for around $100. It is an AM3+ chip though, which is an aging socket. If you go to upgrade your graphics in the future to something really high-end, I fear there'll be a bottleneck. It has six physical cores but each core is not very strong on its own, so games that use only one core (the majority of games today) will not run as well as they would on an Intel chip.

The FX-6300 is still, however, a decently-powerful chip. It is very popular. I use one to power the server that my friends and I host games on.

If you...

Kitt Sue

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
Just get the best CPU within your budget. I would recommend an i3-4130 at least because some games simply won't work with just 2 threads, so a Pentium G3258 is pretty risky.

But if an i3 is out of your price range, then I would suggest going for an AMD Athlon 860K... not as good as the i3, but better than the Pentium in modern triple As.

jazzy663

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
As the GTX 750 Ti is not terribly fast I would not think it horrible to pair it with an FX-6300. It is not an Intel chip like you want but it is not a weak chip either. It's quite affordable, most times you can find them for around $100. It is an AM3+ chip though, which is an aging socket. If you go to upgrade your graphics in the future to something really high-end, I fear there'll be a bottleneck. It has six physical cores but each core is not very strong on its own, so games that use only one core (the majority of games today) will not run as well as they would on an Intel chip.

The FX-6300 is still, however, a decently-powerful chip. It is very popular. I use one to power the server that my friends and I host games on.

If you don't mind a dual-core chip, then the Pentium G3258 would not be a bad choice either. It's not as powerful as the FX-6300 (only two threads, could be a problem), but it's a great overclocker and it's even cheaper than the FX-6300 (I think as low as $70 in some places). Using a G3258 also opens up a lot of upgrade options as it uses socket LGA1150, which is the most popular motherboard socket at the moment. In the future you could buy a stronger (much stronger than anything using AM3+) chip in the future, if you desired.

If the G3258's performance doesn't do it for you (it is after all not that great having only two threads), then any Haswell Core i3 (Core i3-4150, Core i3-4350) would not be a bad choice - they have two threads per physical core. Haswell's single-core performance is great, so even on a dual-core chip your gaming performance wouldn't suffer much. Only in multi core-using games like Battlefield 4 would you have a problem. Both chips in the parentheses also use LGA1150. They are however a bit more expensive than the G3258 and FX-6300.

And if you want to push your budget a little, the Core i5-4440 offers superior performance to all previously-mentioned chips (even the six-core FX-6300), and has four physical cores. It's about $170, so if you're looking for a budget chip you might be turned off by that.

Good luck.

Solution

bibakos

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015

This is my current build.

Asrock g41m-vs3 r2.0 motherboard
Core 2 duo E6600 2.4 ghz cpu
4 GB ram ddr3 1066 mhz
Nvidia msi GTX 750ti
SSD 120 GB
2 old hard drives(One 150 GB, one 200 GB)
500 W PSU

As you can see my cpu is just TOO much of a bottleneck and my motherboard's socket is very old so i'll have to replace my motherboard as well and probly ram too.As for the games i'm playing i like variety so i'd say i want to be able to play all the new games with stable FPS.I know i wont get max settings with my GPU but i want to be able to play modern games at medium settings and above all i want the games to run smoothly without FPS drops.For example right know i'm playing The Witcher 2 and i'm forced to lower the graphics to lowest possible in order to play with decent fps.In about 1 month witcher 3 is coming out and i'd love to play that one as well but with my current cpu it's just not possible.Waiting for your answer!If you need any more information feel free to ask.

PS: I don't want to buy a new cpu just for witcher, i'm just giving an example :)

jazzy663

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
Just a thought - since you're running a G41 board, you could buy a Core 2 Quad - a Q9550 wouldn't be bad. It would drastically reduce the bottleneck if not eliminate it, would be a heck of a lot cheaper, and save you the change of motherboard.

I don't know how you feel about buying older hardware as opposed to newer hardware, but it might be something to consider. I'm seeing Q9550s on Ebay for around $70.

I'd make sure you have the latest BIOS, if you go this route.

Anyone else have some input on this?

Kitt Sue

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015

That would be a significant bottleneck in modern games. I had a Q6700 @ 3.2GHz and it bottlenecked a GTX 560 Ti in games like BF4

Alpha3031

Honorable
Actually, that isn't too bad of an idea. The Core 2 Quads should perform around the same as the 860K, and you'll save the money for the motherboard. Even though it's on the older 45 nm process, you should still be able to overclock it well with a decent cooler (something like 4 GHz on air). It'll be more tolerant of high voltages too.

jazzy663

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014

Okay, but keep in mind you're comparing a Q6700 to a Q9550. There is a difference in archtiecture (Yorkfield > Kentsfield) and a difference in process tech (45nm > 65nm). Saying that the two would perform the same would be wrong; there is a considerable (but, I suppose not overwhelming) difference in performance between the two chips.

I would even go so far as to say the Q9550 would perform slightly better than the Athlon X4 860K in most tasks, because I'm fairly certain Yorkfield cores are better than Steamroller cores. Don't quote me on that though. I have a lot of faith in the longevity of Intel's high-end chips, even older ones.

I highly doubt there would be a bottleneck in pairing a Q9550 with a 750 Ti, even at the stock clock. If there is it'd be negligible, especially with an overclock like Alpha3031 mentioned.

Alpha3031

Honorable
I'd say it's slightly worse than the 860K, maybe more like the 750K, but that's not much difference. Also, according to HWBot you the average overclock on air is approximately twice as much in terms of percent clock increase. Not bad for almost half the price.

dajay_

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015

dajay_

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
I have that the 750 ti and the q9550 chip works well also have 8 gb of corsair ram but it's my motherboard that leaves me down its an Asus p5g41t-mlx looking to upgrade it if anyone knows of a good board