Question Best Dell Precision Workstation for gaming?

chapig_396

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
Hello,

I am looking to put together a cheap gaming rig - and it seems getting a used workstation and upgrading it is the cheapest way to do so.

I already own a GTX 1660 Super so the PC would have to be able to handle that.

I've previously owned a T3500, which was good for a few years, but failed recently soon after installing the 1660 super.

The T5500 looks good as it has a bigger PSU so reduced risk of frying it with the GPU. Are there any other similar options? I've heard a lot about optiplex but the smaller form factor is off-putting since my GPU is a triple-fan.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I got a question: How exactly are you planning to "upgrade" Dell Precision T5500?

It has proprietary MoBo, proprietary PSU, proprietary PC case. <- Meaning that you can't "upgrade" none of it. Moreover, it is running Intel Xeon CPU, with is designed for workstation use, whereby Xeon CPUs cost a lot (if you plan to upgrade CPU). And i don't see any options on upgrading CPU cooler (since that too is proprietary). Oh, build also uses DDR3 RAM, which could be ECC. Meaning that you either need to buy expensive ECC RAM, if you want more RAM, or scrap the ECC RAM and go with conventional non-ECC RAM for your build. And of course, very cramped up PC internals, where your GTX 1660S may not fit at all.

So, how is all this better, than buying individual, ATX standard components, and assembling the PC by yourself? :unsure:

chapig_396

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
I got a question: How exactly are you planning to "upgrade" Dell Precision T5500?

It has proprietary MoBo, proprietary PSU, proprietary PC case. <- Meaning that you can't "upgrade" none of it. Moreover, it is running Intel Xeon CPU, with is designed for workstation use, whereby Xeon CPUs cost a lot (if you plan to upgrade CPU). And i don't see any options on upgrading CPU cooler (since that too is proprietary). Oh, build also uses DDR3 RAM, which could be ECC. Meaning that you either need to buy expensive ECC RAM, if you want more RAM, or scrap the ECC RAM and go with conventional non-ECC RAM for your build. And of course, very cramped up PC internals, where your GTX 1660S may not fit at all.

So, how is all this better, than buying individual, ATX standard components, and assembling the PC by yourself? :unsure:

The only upgrade I’d need is the GPU so the only cost should be the workstation itself. I already own a Xeon X5675 which gets the job done and 12gb ram is good enough too. I was wondering which workstations are most readily available for cheap on ebay and also spacious. My T3500 fit the 1660 with some modifications to the hard drive caddy but preferably a bigger case.
Building a PC with individual parts is of course much more ideal but my budget is tight, I’m looking to spend no more than £150 excluding GPU

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I was wondering which workstations are most readily available for cheap on ebay and also spacious.

Well, Ebay has filters, that you can use. With filtered results, it comes clear which workstations are in surplus and which are not.

Space wise, here's how T5500 looks inside:

pic_04-600x450.jpg

Quite cramped, IMO.

With modding, you can do everything, e.g:

5fbc8c1zo9l61.jpg