Question Best external drive option for specific use

Nov 23, 2018
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best external drive (exact model or even just a type of drive) to get for my specific need so I hope someone can help. I'm looking for an external drive to copy media files to which I would then watch on my tv. Media files (movies, tv shows) would range anyway from 4-5 GB to 80 GB 4k blu rays. The thing is, I plan to use this drive to store just a single movie (maybe two or three at the same time) and not an entire library of files. I just want them to transfer to that external drive as fast as possible. All those media files are stored on internal hard drives (4TB WD Blue and 2TB Seagate Barracuda)- certainly not the fastest but they were reasonably priced and offered good amount of storage for my needs. I have a Ryzen 5 2600 processor on MSI x470 Gaming Plus motherboard.

Currently I'm using a Transcend 120GB external SSD and a Patriot Burst 240GB SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure to do this and results are not what I was hoping for. With Transcend drive (cheapest externall ssd I could find) transfer speeds when writing on it never go over 160 MB/s but also they're almost always stable so I'm ok with that. With the Patriot drive speeds usually start higher and they are like that for some time, then they drop to around 60-65 MB/s. It doesn't matter if I'm copying files from mechanical drives or an SSD OS drive, the drop always happens and when I'm copying a large movie or something similar it ultimately takes longer than with the Transcend drive. I tried to find out as much as I can about this stuff but I cannot get a clear idea on what would be the best option for this particular use. Should I use some other SSD? Maybe another enclosure (if so, what ot look for, the one I have has UASP support)? Would one of the more expensive external SSDs do a better job- like expensive Samsung T5 or WD My Passport SSD? Or would I just see a big speed burst at the start of the transfer and then they too would drop down to under 100 MB/s? I also see those support USB 3.1 Gen 2 as does my MOBO but it doesn't have any type C ports, only two type A Gen 2 ports, so if I understand correctly there would be no benefit of Gen 2 if I were to use an adapter that they come with. Is the WD 4TB drive simply too much of a limiting factor? Should I just get a regular external hard drive in larger capacity?

Apologies for so many questions but I really want to try and make the best purchase for this particular use and be done with it. I never transfer many small files, documents, songs, images or anything like that- only video files, mostly single movie files or folders with tv show episodes.
Hopefully someone can advise me on what would be the best choice in this case. Thanks!

Nov 23, 2018
Oh ok good to know. So there's no point in getting a faster SSD external drive since the transfer rates will still be impacted (negatively) by slow internal drives- and I see no point really in replacing them because I cannot afford a 4TB ssd right now and even if I could I couldn't justify the price to simply save a few minutes. I guess I'll just get a regular external drive then or use what I currently have.

TRENDING THREADS