best/fastest CPU for socket 939?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rall

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
Hey bro I was in this status a week ago. I had a X2 3800 and upgraded to a operon 185. 3d06 benchmark for 3800 was a 5608. The opteron 185 was a 6328.

While looking on the net, I've see what intel can do, especially with a overclock. So I purchased a E6600. The benchmark was 10,040. 8O So yesterday I wanted to overclock it. Well I got it to a 3.2 and my new benchmark is a 11,200. :lol:

Also with the overclock with my BFG 8800 GTX Canyon Flight 46.0 fps
and Deep Freeze 53.9

To put it simple, the intel chip is way better than AMD and plus you can overclock the piss out of it. The E6600 cost me 331.00 at newegg.com Almost forgot to add that I have stock cooling and my temp is 55*c.

mad_murdock

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
To put it simple, the intel chip is way better than AMD and plus you can overclock the piss out of it

I don't think anyone is arguing that the Intel chip is the way better. But the cost of it is more than just the chip. It's a new motherboard and new RAM. if you only have $300 to work with, then going to a new Intel solution just won't happen.

reaper87

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
To put it simple, the intel chip is way better than AMD and plus you can overclock the piss out of it

I don't think anyone is arguing that the Intel chip is the way better. But the cost of it is more than just the chip. It's a new motherboard and new RAM. if you only have $300 to work with, then going to a new Intel solution just won't happen.

I havent been at TOMS forum very long, but in my experience, why does every budget AMD tread turn into this :roll:
BUY INTEL IT PWNS ALL
perhaps, but this guy just wants to extend the life of his socket 939 hardware, which is still very competent of running EVERY program availible today.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
To put it simple, the intel chip is way better than AMD and plus you can overclock the piss out of it. The E6600 cost me 331.00 at newegg.com Almost forgot to add that I have stock cooling and my temp is 55*c.

I think that paragraph should be copied and pasted to anyone who is considering a pre-Barcelona AMD CPU. :D

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006

perhaps, but this guy just wants to extend the life of his socket 939 hardware, which is still very competent of running EVERY program availible today.[/quote]

Exactly, just buy the cheapest Opteron/decent ($30) aftermarket HSF and OC the shit out of it.

I purchased a 165 Opteron right after Christmas and with the stock HSF, it's dual-Prime 95 stable at 2.6ghz (up from 1.8ghz). 31*c idle and 48*c loaded with dual-Prime 95's. All for $153.99 (+ Arctice Silver 5).

I did DVD transcode with Shrink (I normally use CCE) at 1.8ghz it was a tick over 16 minutes. At 2.6ghz it was a tick over 12 minutes. A 25% increase in speed for FREE.

Just go for the cheapest. It's idiotic to spend more on the 939 platform.

mad_murdock

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
havent been at TOMS forum very long, but in my experience, why does every budget AMD tread turn into this BUY INTEL IT PWNS ALL

Well, If you would have gotten here about 7-8 months go (before the release of Core Duo 2) then you would have gotten the reverse. Every budget Intel thread turns into AMD Rulz All, Cheaper, faster and half the heat of an Intel !

Right now, Intel is top dog again, so the raving pyshco enthusists in us all, tends to runs wild whenever someone talks about upgrading an AMD.

I fully understand his pain, as about 7 months ago I went through the same debate. I needed )well wanted) a PCI-e Mobo cause I wanted the new X1900XTX, but I didn't want to have to buy a new CPU and memory, along with a new Video card and Mobo. So I opted to stay with the 939, instead of the AM2. Sadly enough about 3 months later I upgrade to 2GB of memory (2x1GB) and then 2 months later bought the 4800+ to repalce my 3800+ clawhammer

Now I think, if I could have just waited on that dang video card, I could have me a new Core duo 2 system. I spent the same amount of money, just spread it out over 7 months.

I think if I was him, I'd old off spending anything until I could get a whole new rig. As I don't know that the money spent on even a 4800+ or Opty 185 will really pay out.

Rall

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005

If he is just going to go 300.00 then he is just better off overclocking his current processor and saving money for a new system! You need to ask yourself one question. Am I going to extend a lot of life out of my system by just upgrading the processor, or is it more cost efficient to wait a couple of months and build a intel system? When I posted my benchmarks you can see how the intel kills my old AMD setup. When I upgraded from a X2 3800 to a Opteron 185 it wasn't a huge leap in performance, but going to the intel was. In my opinion if he is only going to spend 300.00 it is best to just save it and use his computer the way it is.
In the end it is up to him. I love toms hardware so many points of view!

I heard you can't really oc the FX60 anyway, waste of money.

You heard wrong, the multipliers unlocked on the FX60, as long as you can cool it, you can OC it, I had mine up to 3,018mhz, however I wouldn't reccommend it to anyone running an SLI configuration, there seems to be some trouble in SLI in some games.

In most available games on the market today the single core FX57 which is also multiplier unlocked will outperform the FX60 at the same OC, and the FX57 has no problems in SLI at all.

With all this dual core hype and not really any good software to run it the FX57 is my reccommendation to the OP, especially if he's running WinXP 32bit OP/SYS.

Hi there, what is the best and fastest AMD cpu for the socket 939 motherboard?

If you can find one slap an FX57 in that 939, you will never regret it, its the fastest single core processor on the planet, no patches or hot-fixes necessary, will run todays and tomorrows software, no matter what hype you're getting here.

Its multiplier unlocked!

Runs stock at 2.8G, with aircooling you can simply raise the multiplier from 14X to 15X taking her to 3.0G, with the stock AMD cooler.

Thats my reccommendation.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

If he is just going to go 300.00 then he is just better off overclocking his current processor and saving money for a new system! You need to ask yourself one question. Am I going to extend a lot of life out of my system by just upgrading the processor, or is it more cost efficient to wait a couple of months and build a intel system? When I posted my benchmarks you can see how the intel kills my old AMD setup. When I upgraded from a X2 3800 to a Opteron 185 it wasn't a huge leap in performance, but going to the intel was. In my opinion if he is only going to spend 300.00 it is best to just save it and use his computer the way it is.
In the end it is up to him. I love toms hardware so many points of view!

It's more cost efficient to wait more than 2 months, until the superior AMD Barcelona comes out and then choose a system, AMD or Intel, best suited for his goals, when Intel has more serious competition.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I havent been at TOMS forum very long, but in my experience, why does every budget AMD tread turn into this :roll:
BUY INTEL IT PWNS ALL

A couple of years back the situation would have been reversed. Let's face realities and make the statement that AMD is behind Intel in virtually every single aspect in the industry. It only makes sense to offer advice which points users in the right direction. It isn't Intel fanboyism. It's reality. That reality may change. Maybe Barcelona will come out and blow Penryn into the weeds. In that case, users will be advised to go AMD.

If someone came up to you and asked you "I wanna go F1 racing next year, and I can pick up the Ferrari that Massa drove last year or a 1978 Datsun" what would you advise? :lol:

reaper87

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
If he said "I have 5k to buy some upgrades for my Honda Civic, what should i get?" Its not practical for everyone to jump on and say "Honda's suck, go buy an EVO."
I think its clear to everyone here that the Core 2 Duo E6300 is quicker than the AMD 3800x2, but thats the the question. The question in a nutshell is: "How can i prolong the life of my socket 939 platform casue i dont wana drop the cash for a new system right now."

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Since its relevant to earlier replies... the opteron pricing is back to normal on newegg... so i'm at a lose to what the point of that was, unless they were trying to get rid of some 185s by making them the cheapest... but thats just stupid... oh wait, we are talking about newegg after all :roll:

mad_murdock

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
so i'm at a lose to what the point of that was, unless they were trying to get rid of some 185s by making them the cheapest...

Why doesn't anyone seem to think that it was just an Opps! on their part. It's not like the CEO is the one who types it in. Probably some pissed off college intern decided to do it or maybe he just hates AMD and screws up the pricing whenever he gets a chance.

Maybe it was just a simple typo or software glitch. Why rule out the most logical and likely explaination ?

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Which one of those was supposed to be most likely? And I don't see how an amd bashing intern doing it conflicts with the idea of newegg having some retards on their staff... as for a typo or software glitch, the prices weren't raised by a consistent percentage or fixed dollar amount over norm... as for it being part of some software that automatically raises prices on items a few dollars if the stock is running low... well i've seen no evidence newegg has anything like that (especially since the 185's price didn't budge at all but sold out hours after this change in pricing).... and i've spent my fair share of time watching price fluctuations on that site

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Someone is. When they only have a few of an item left, crank the price up and make as large a profit as they can without having to take up any warehouse space.

That does it. I've been thinking about this for years, but now I'm gonna take the plunge.

Presenting:

CAPTAIN APRIL'S KVETCHING SERVICE.

When you're contemplating a major purchase, call Captain April first and save hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars. Captain April will call upon his decades of experience in top-level negotiations and get you a much better price than you could ever get yourself. Even after the Captain collects his commission you will still be far ahead! So before you drop your hard earned cash on a major purchase, call the Captain: 1-800-4KVETCH! Do it today!

Oye Vey! What a display... of chutzpah :roll:

-mcg

I havent been at TOMS forum very long, but in my experience, why does every budget AMD tread turn into this
BUY INTEL IT PWNS ALL
perhaps, but this guy just wants to extend the life of his socket 939 hardware, which is still very competent of running EVERY program availible today.

Excellent! :D

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
If he said "I have 5k to buy some upgrades for my Honda Civic, what should i get?" Its not practical for everyone to jump on and say "Honda's suck, go buy an EVO."
I think its clear to everyone here that the Core 2 Duo E6300 is quicker than the AMD 3800x2, but thats the the question. The question in a nutshell is: "How can i prolong the life of my socket 939 platform casue i dont wana drop the cash for a new system right now."

The question is valid and there have been quite a few excellent suggestions by various posters. The essence of my dispute is as follows: With a reasonable 775 motherboard running at $60 or so, why bother?

Oye Vey! What a display... of chutzpah :roll:

Vooden? I always patshkie around. Most balebetishen Yidden think that I'm a fachadick meshugeneh shlemiel and my yutzi mouth gets me into tsuris. They're all shmendriks! They're hockin me a chinick!