Votes: 6 14.3%
  • ASUS (ROG)

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • MSI

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Others..

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
Hi, im in no rush to buy a graphics card.
Actually i dont think i will move from my R9 380 for 2 more years, might be enough time for the prices to come down.
But experience wise,what would be your best pick out of MSI,GIGABYTE,ASUS,EVGA, or something else perhaps?
Looking for a higher end 1080p card like the 1080ti or anything better than it,again in no rush, just letting you know that i am not looking for a card with less performance than the 1080ti/2070 SUPER.
I havent had any problems with my GIGABYTE R9 380 4GB G1 GAMING , aside from it not working for the 1st 4 months after i bought it 2nd hand, but it was the psu's fault.
Bought it for 70$ in December 2019, havent had any problems yet, even overclocked it and repasted a few times.
Thoughts?

For AMD-based GPUs, I prefer Sapphire. Great products and support, when needed. For Nvidia-based, I prefer Gigabyte.

Regardless, the "major" vendors all offer good products and support, the anecdotal " dud product.
What exact model (s) of Sapphire's/Gigabyte's cards made you decide that?
Or do you like all their model's overall?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What exact model (s) of Sapphire's/Gigabyte's cards made you decide that?
Or do you like all their GPU's overall?
I have had many over the years. Just a general use and awareness thing. I also prefer Asus and Gigabyte motherboards. Others prefer MSI or other brands.

In the greater scheme of things, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Sapphire, EVGA, etc all make solid products and offer good support, overall. Else, they wouldn't remain in business.

Reactions: Dj0gany
I have had many over the years. Just a general use and awareness thing. I also prefer Asus and Gigabyte motherboards. Others prefer MSI or other brands.

In the greater scheme of things, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Sapphire, EVGA, etc all make solid products and offer good support, overall. Else, they wouldn't remain in business.
Very true indeed.
I find EVGA's GPU's 'interesting' since they often offer a water cooling option with high end cards , if you decide to do that, and i love having/doing something out of the ordinary and if a water cooler isnt out of the ordinary than i dont know what that is.
One thing i want to say i want is a good overall build of the GPU.
Im talking about dissambling process.
I for the love of God cant unplugg the LED and FAN POWER connectors from the GPU PCB, without pulling like a madman and potentially breaking it.
That is probably the main (and only) problem i have with my GIGABYTE GPU.

Jogibearson

Prominent
Dec 28, 2019
My trust is with EVGA and Asus. Currently running on Palit but the card is not very overclockable. Never in my life am I going to trust MSI a single bit, I bought 2 of them pre-owned but working in the sellers PC just for them to immediately catch fire in my rig lol. Never again. Gigabyte is fine but gets kinda loud usually.

My trust is with EVGA and Asus. Currently running on Palit but the card is not very overclockable. Never in my life am I going to trust MSI a single bit, I bought 2 of them pre-owned but working in the sellers PC just for them to immediately catch fire in my rig lol. Never again. Gigabyte is fine but gets kinda loud usually.
"Gigabyte is fine but gets kinda loud usually "
Oh yeah, that is true.
I had to set my own fan curve in Afterburner after i overclocked it.
Turns out 50% is the perfect balance between heat and silence.
What MSI cards did you buy?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nvidia: Evga then Asus
AMD: Asus because there is no Evga
Msi behind that, Gigabyte is way down on the list. Sapphire for AMD is also very good, but somewhat hit/miss when they work or not.

As to the minor brands, they are all relatively equal, since they pretty much universally use reference boards for everything, so you get nvidia or amd factory card with a different shroud, heatsink and paint job with factory, OC, super OC vbios settings.

Nvidia: Evga then Asus
AMD: Asus because there is no Evga
Msi behind that, Gigabyte is way down on the list. Sapphire for AMD is also very good, but somewhat hit/miss when they work or not.

As to the minor brands, they are all relatively equal, since they pretty much universally use reference boards for everything, so you get nvidia or amd factory card with a different shroud, heatsink and paint job with factory, OC, super OC vbios settings.
I've just realised that there are no AMD GPU's from EVGA,reason being?
I like MSI since you can find pretty much any video/guide/troubleshooting about the specific MSI card,they are so popular.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
They all have their share of blockbusters and lemons; brand loyalty is good for the company, but bad for the consumer...
I'm one to talk, since I exclusively use Noctua fans, yet hate on ROG fanboys/girls...

Anyway! I don't have as much experience, but Gigabyte does good by gpus - at least for their Gaming line. I can't speak for Aorus.
I would like to try EVGA if I can get my hands on one, but if the opportunity to DIY comes first, then oh well...

Never had a particularly bad EVGA product.

The worst EVGA card I have ever had was a GTX1060 with a tiny cooler and single fan. Even that wasn't bad, ran decently cool, but it was noisy.

By contrast, I had an EVGA FTW GTX1060 which was dead silent and ran at 60c in furmark. EVGAs FTW lineup is great imo.

MY GTX970 SSC has a very overbuilt cooler. If I ramp the fans to 100% it only gets to a whopping 41c in furmark, idles like 2c above ambient, and mid 30s in games, and I am not kidding. Why do the fans have the ability to spin at near 5k rpm? I don't know. But they do.

View: https://imgur.com/3TeXba8

You can see the difference between it running with stock profile and then me maxing it out.

EVGAs 10 series cards were the best by far, in my opinion.

LED.gif

View: https://imgur.com/DjTi82Q

699f591ddd53b64d556b31ff955c85f1_XL.jpg

Their newer and older ones are fine, but I like 10 series the best.

And to elaborate on what I said earlier:

No company is perfect, but unlike others, these companies usually fix their mistakes.
The GTX1080 FTW had a problem with incorrect thermal pads being used from the factory. Instead of just blaming the issue on someone else and sweeping it under the rug, they offered free replacement pads for anyone who owned the card, and they fixed the new models before they shipped out.

Also, I like Sapphires 400/500 Series AMD cards the best.

View: https://imgur.com/g2miUqI

Call it for what it is but i havent touched an amd card since my AGP Sapphire x850Xt, moving forward on my main computer

EVGA 8800 ultra
EVGA 2x gtx 460, had these for a few months and gave them to my brother. Few years later he had issues with one and called EVGA and without issue RMA'd it
Zotac 2x gtx 480 amp
MSI 2x GTX 580 Twin Frozr
EVGA 980 SC Gaming

EVGA 2080Ti FTW3

Other cards i have owned
MSI 2x GTX 560 ti twin frozr
EVGA 2x SuperClocked GTX 560Ti
EVGA 4x GTX 570 superclocked
EVGA 3x GTX 670 FTW

EVGA GT 730
EVGA GT 740
EVGA 3x GTX 780 Ti classified
EVGA GTX 780 Ti kingpin
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming

All cards in blue have been under water and pushed as far as they would allow, most of these cards i still own or are in a system that are still running them. Of 21 EVGA cards only 1 has even had issues for me and EVGA took care of it without questions. On 10-27-2011 I bought a MSI 560 Ti and that was the last time i bought a brand other then EVGA.

Djoza when it comes to the cards i really dont look at them, 90% of the time i rip the air cooler off and put a water block on it. As for overclocking they have all done extremely well. I actually went through around 2 dozen MSI GTX 580 cards till i found 2 that overclocked near each other, we'll say that was a very expensive year buying cards, testing them, returning and eating a restocking fee, then buying another card. Both GTX 480's and 580's ran on a X58 rampage 3 extreme board and an i7-950 @4.6Ghz for every day use and 4.9Ghz in the winter for benchmarks

Last edited:
Call it for what it is but i havent touched an amd card since my AGP Sapphire x850Xt, moving forward on my main computer

EVGA 8800 ultra
EVGA 2x gtx 460, had these for a few months and gave them to my brother. Few years later he had issues with one and called EVGA and without issue RMA'd it
Zotac 2x gtx 480 amp
MSI 2x GTX 580 Twin Frozr
EVGA 980 SC Gaming

EVGA 2080Ti FTW3

Other cards i have owned
MSI 2x GTX 560 ti twin frozr
EVGA 2x SuperClocked GTX 560Ti
EVGA 4x GTX 570 superclocked
EVGA 3x GTX 670 FTW

EVGA GT 730
EVGA GT 740
EVGA 3x GTX 780 Ti classified
EVGA GTX 780 Ti kingpin
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming

All cards in blue have been under water and pushed as far as they would allow, most of these cards i still own or are in a system that are still running them. Of 21 EVGA cards only 1 has even had issues for me and EVGA took care of it without questions. On 10-27-2011 I bought a MSI 560 Ti and that was the last time i bought a brand other then EVGA.

Djoza when it comes to the cards i really dont look at them, 90% of the time i rip the air cooler off and put a water block on it. As for overclocking they have all done extremely well. I actually went through around 2 dozen MSI GTX 580 cards till i found 2 that overclocked near each other, we'll say that was a very expensive year buying cards, testing them, returning and eating a restocking fee, then buying another card. Both GTX 480's and 580's ran on a X58 rampage 3 extreme board and an i7-950 @4.6Ghz for every day use and 4.9Ghz in the winter for benchmarks
Wow,you've worked with a lot of GPU's.
Well logically a brand that is mainly focused on GPU's and PSU's should be the best,right?
How was the cooling difference between the blue cards with aircoolers and waterblocks? or were you even testing them with air coolers xD

EVGAs 10 series cards were the best by far, in my opinion.

LED.gif

View: https://imgur.com/DjTi82Q

699f591ddd53b64d556b31ff955c85f1_XL.jpg

Their newer and older ones are fine, but I like 10 series the best.

And to elaborate on what I said earlier:

The GTX1080 FTW had a problem with incorrect thermal pads being used from the factory. Instead of just blaming the issue on someone else and sweeping it under the rug, they offered free replacement pads for anyone who owned the card, and they fixed the new models before they shipped out.

Also, I like Sapphires 400/500 Series AMD cards the best.

View: https://imgur.com/g2miUqI
hold up...
Are you kidding me or does the EVGA 1070 have rgb on the fan side?
That literally makes it one of the most beautiful cards for VGPU mounting.
Does only 1070 have that?
Or every evga 10 series card has that?
I dont really care about customer support since i will be buying it used.
But im glad to hear that EVGA really cares about their cards and customers : )

The EVGA FTW GTX1070, 1070ti, and 1080 all have this lighting.

Also, the EVGA FTW2 versions of those cards also have that lighting.

Sadly the EVGA GTX1060 FTW lacks the back plate and only has leds on the side that would face the window normally, not the fan side. not nearly as much as the higher end cards.

Wow,you've worked with a lot of GPU's.
Well logically a brand that is mainly focused on GPU's and PSU's should be the best,right?
How was the cooling difference between the blue cards with aircoolers and waterblocks? or were you even testing them with air coolers xD

any card that went under water blocks i only tested to make sure the card wasnt DOA. Even buying multiple MSI cards i would pull the air cooler off and put a block on it then would retape and past the card before installing the air cooler and returning it.

Back when i was really benching and seeing how high of a OC i could get, i kept an excel sheet of all settings for CPU and GPU. I would spend weeks tweaking settings and trying different drivers just to get 1 or 2 more points in a benchmark.

I benched my 2080 Ti when i first got it, but things have changed. According to my fire strike score it did 2130Mhz core and 2000Mhz memory but these newer cards pretty much overclock themselves now so its not as much fun. But then i didnt spend weeks trying to get the most out of it, just maxed volts and moved some sliders around and then called it good.

any card that went under water blocks i only tested to make sure the card wasnt DOA. Even buying multiple MSI cards i would pull the air cooler off and put a block on it then would retape and past the card before installing the air cooler and returning it.

Back when i was really benching and seeing how high of a OC i could get, i kept an excel sheet of all settings for CPU and GPU. I would spend weeks tweaking settings and trying different drivers just to get 1 or 2 more points in a benchmark.

I benched my 2080 Ti when i first got it, but things have changed. According to my fire strike score it did 2130Mhz core and 2000Mhz memory but these newer cards pretty much overclock themselves now so its not as much fun. But then i didnt spend weeks trying to get the most out of it, just maxed volts and moved some sliders around and then called it good.
Less time consuming tbh...
Unless you want to go for a record with LN2.