Discussion Best GPU brand?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Best GPU brand?

• EVGA

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • GIGABYTE

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • ASUS (ROG)

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • MSI

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Others..

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
my EVGA 1070 failed twice due to the lack of thermals they wanted me to install thermal pads on them as well. I pucahsed MSI titanium cards and they are built a lot better. you can google evga leaking there are tons of people that had issues with them.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Sapphire amd rtg

Evga for nvidia

Powercolor red devils make some great coolers.

But when is comes to power delivery for over locking oem AMD reference makes best power delivery subsystem. They are quite robust in these regards. The 6000 coolers are good but the 5000 series blowers sucked and ran hot.
Have ya seen the powercolor red devil r9 390x2?

my EVGA 1070 failed twice due to the lack of thermals they wanted me to install thermal pads on them as well. I pucahsed MSI titanium cards and they are built a lot better. you can google evga leaking there are tons of people that had issues with them.
Never seen MSI titanium lineup.
Do they make 20 and 30 series cards?
Or amd equivalents?

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
They would fix the card for free, so why didn't you.
They would fix the card for free, so why didn't you.

The first time Jacob on twitter said not to worry about it that it's a rare issue and if the card failed and replaced under warranty second time they would not replace it out of warranty I figured the replacement would be fixed model guess not and they don't stand behind their known admitted issues. I would just say I won't buy their cards anymore, but with the shortages we don't have any choice other than to buy what is available.

AlexTheFern

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
the thing is that evga helps you so if it breaks ya just dial 1 800 gpu help

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
You could have requested the parts to fix it though and you didn't.

Because they said it wouldn't be an issue for most people and they would take care of it if it failed due to that issue and they didn't. Not sure why you keep acting like this is OK if you don't care then great some people do thats why I am letting people know EVGA isnt the greatest in my experince even after being a loyal customer for a long time and they knew that. In my industry if there is a known issue with product like that they supersede the product and update or or extend the warranty to prevent class action lawsuits and bad PR. Also maybe they did put their little bandid fix on it and it still failed again I don't know or care so I purchased a better quality card with better cooling and they ran great until I was able to sell them last month unlike the evga product I purchased and lost all my money on. Also those thermal pads dont fix the fried gpu its meant to prevent issues and I didnt want to disassemble my GPU.

Reactions: AlexTheFern
The fact is, they did the right thing and offered free thermal pads, you just didn't take it, and then your card failed as a result.

Not sure how you would think it wasn't much of an issue given they spent money to come up with a fix and make it available.

Should it have been downplayed by an employee? No. But something tells me you misinterpreted. If it wasn't an issue there wouldn't have been a fix made available, that's mostly common sense. Because of this I doubt any EVGA employee would just completely go against what the company did and say it wasn't a problem. That makes no sense.

Only thing I see wrong here is that EVGA's replacement didn't have the fix.

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I was looking for the twitter post about it, but I found this thread I forgot I even was inolved in.. If you want to read here where EVGA said my card wasn't even part of the issue it's here. Even after I was asking and expressing my issue with modding my own card. There are several issues here. I don't really want to keep going back and forth with this, but as an end user I think I did enough on my end. They are the ones that were misleading and unethical and didn't have enough QC.

https://forums.evga.com/Please-prov...lack-Edition-thermal-pad-fix-m2573568-p2.aspx

1. The cards were defective
  2. They expected customers/end users to fix their issue.
  3. They didn't offer a program to send the card back for modification
  4. The card they sent back was defective as well
  5. they didn't extend their warranty.
  6. They told us it wasn't an issue. (they did this for FTW cards not SC cards we were just allowed to have them too)
  7. They told me it would be covered under warranty if it failed in that manner.

If you dont want to read the entire thread.

EVGATech_JaesonW :
can assure everyone that even without the thermal pads, the VRMs are still within spec and will not hurt your video card. It's not uncommon even on 700 and 900 series cards of all makes, models, and manufacture, including Radeon cards, to see VRMs running in the 95-105c range without problems.

The original concern is that the closer proximity of the VRMs to the memory on the FTW cards may have an affect on the memory temperature. Any reference design (anything that's not an FTW) where the VRMs are further away from the memory modules would have no concern in this regard. The Black Edition cards, as a reference design, would fall into this category. As others have pointed out, without the backplate to trap heat, the Black Edition is even less of a concern is this regard compared to models with a backplate.

We are more than happy to provide the thermal pads for these reference models as well as the FTW models as a way of easing concerns about heat. Again the article is specific to the 1080 FTW, but we want to address everyone who is concerned about temperatures.

Nov 6, 2018
Just buy the cheapest, i got a 1070 Gigabyte still works magnificently on 1080p lol it was the cheaper of all 1070s available during its time when i bought it, there was ASUS, EVGA, MSI, i bought the Gigabyte cause it was cheaper a 1070 Gigabyte Windforce Dual fans and a big ass heatsink, no backplate, no lights, no problem still good since 2016, can game with Cyberpunk 2077 on high settings and 60 fps ,my case dont have rgbs and tempered glass, unless your going for aesthetics get those higher priced cool looking cards.

I have owned a few Gigabyte GPUs including mostly just rx/480/570. Honestly really good. I had a Gigabyte gaming rx570 side by side with a sapphire nitro+ rx570 and the sapphire ran cooler, but both were good.

I have owned so many awful motherboards from the brand to make me dislike Gigabyte in general, however

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is the current GPU situation the worst there has ever been?
Yes

Mining 1st generation you could still get cards, might have been more but they existed.
Now... mining + last year, no one has had the ability to make the cards they are promising. 3060 only exists because the top end cards aren't all great and they chop them down to make a profit on what is left. After that? I seen ghost towns with more action.

I don't have a fav, I couldn't tell you who made most the GPU I have had in my PC. I been using Asus last 2 cards as unlike what others say before me, I haven't had any problems. 3 Asus cards, 1 died from being used almost everyday for 4 years.

Jan 30, 2021
Is the current GPU situation the worst there has ever been?
Sadly yes. Prices and demands are crazy high and quality is not like before. I mean they all are fancy looking but the quality. Hope this madness ends everything GPU-related is expensive now. a few months ago 3090 was 1600+ USD in the market I was like Nah it's too much. now it goes for 3000+ $ .... !

Sadly yes. Prices and demands are crazy high and quality is not like before. I mean they all are fancy looking but the quality. Hope this madness ends everything GPU-related is expensive now. a few months ago 3090 was 1600+ USD in the market I was like Nah it's too much. now it goes for 3000+ $ .... !
Or future might not be bright...

Reactions: Antler

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Full loop, 2x 240mm (standard 30mm Hardware Labs 240 GTS and an ultra slim Tx240 20mm, the one on bottom by xspc).

Airflow? What airflow? Lol. Yes, tiny. But I have enough cooling capacity to handle a 5800x/3080 and not break a sweat.

What's not on the pic of the top-down view is the Noctua fan extension cable I stuck on the cmos pins and sits next to the psu switch, because those pins were buried by the 20+4 cabling. Genius idea lol.

Last edited: