Best graphics card/Suggestions for my setup

Albertard

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Hello all,

Just wanted a little insight about my latest build. For some time I've been wanting to build a new rig and just recently i decided to stop dreaming and go for it. What I'm running right now isnt horrible but just want to go the extra step and get a nicer card that I can be happy with running as many games as I can on ultra settings. Also if anyone has any suggestions to what else I can do that would be great. If i do decide to upgrade some things, I want to stay in the budget of $200 - $330. I've been reading a lot of forums on the 7870's & 7950's but not to much on the Nvidia side, feel free to throw out some ideas. I'm still pretty new at most of this so bare with me! Thanks all!

Games:
BF3, SC2, Crysis, Skyrim, GW2 BF4 when it comes out

Computer:
ASUS P8Z77-V LK board
i5 3570
G Skill Sniper 8G RAM
Seagate 1T 7200
AMD HD 6870
CM HAF 922
CM V6 GT
600W Power Supply

Albertard

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

Funny thing is, those are the exact two cards ive been looking at recently lol. Do you have a preference between AMD or NVIDIA? Or should I stay the path I am going

If you were looking at an Nvidia card (and why not?), the GTX 660 Ti's are going for $260-$300. They're priced appropriately right in between the 7870 and 7950.

perfrel_1920.gif

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_Mini/26.html

HardOCP has a great review of all the drivers that came out over the course of 2012.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/03/04/2012_amd_nvidia_driver_performance_summary_review/6

Here's the latest Performance per Dollar chart from TechPowerUP.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_Mini/28.html

Valentin_N

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013

I prefer Nvidia at the moment, if the products deliver similar performance, because they have better drivers and the rendering frame time is better by Nvidia GPU.

I don't like that GTX 680 as it was meant to be a GTX 660 or similar but because AMD gpu performed worse then Nivida expected, GK104 became high-range gpu instead of a mid-range gpu as it actually be, if if well look at Fermi generation.

Since I personally devote most of the gpu to GPGPU task and therefore AMD is my choice. AMD gives in general more performance/w in many cases.

Albertard

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

Do you think my 600 power supply can take all I have hooked up to it?

Valentin_N

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013

I am sure it will; it has two six-pin power connector. You will also be able to overclock it a bit. Tom's hardware review, Techpowerup - it's another model of Tahiti Le but it will give you a hint of what Tahiti LE is capable of. Keep in mind that some games are optimized for Nvidia gpu such as Borderlands 2 and Batman: Arkham -series or just some.

Keep also in mind that drivers update has been made so improvements are done for better gaming experience.

I hope it helps :)