Question Best laptop for processing power between two dell models

Mar 15, 2020
Hi all,
I am searching for a laptop which is both light and quite powerful in terms of processing capability. I need it mainly to work with satellite images and python coding, even if this is not my primary machine, but a laptop that I can use while travelling and at home for less heavy processing tasks. My choice is between these two Dell models:

- Dell XPS 13:
- Intel® Core™ 10th generation processor i7-10510U (8 MB cache, up to 4,9 GHz, quad-core)
- Intel® UHD shared graphic card
-RAM: integrated 16 GB, LPDDR3, 2.133 MHz
-SSD PCIe NVMe M.2, 1 TB
-price: 1559 Euros VAT excluded

-Dell Inspiron 15 5000
- Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 10th generation processor (8 MB di cache, fino a 3,9 GHz)
- NVIDIA® GeForce® MX230 4 GB graphic memory GDDR5
-RAM: 16 GB, 2 of 8 GB DDR4 at 2.666 MHz
-SSD PCIe M.2 NVMe of 512 GB + SATA hard disk of 1 TB, 7200 RPM and 2,5"
-price 819 Euros VAT excluded

I am no expert in hardware so I am asking you. The XPS seems to have a more powerful processor, but on the other hand the inspiron has a slightly more powerful RAM and a hard disk other than a SSD which a friend told me that can be better, am I correct? Also the price is very different as you can see. TIA

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
XPS and Inspiron are from two different dell product lines. XPS is Dell's premium high end series with high quality motherboard, stunning screen, and best build quality. Inspirons, on the other hand, is their mid-tier to budget laptops. The Inspiron offers better upgradability options.

More importantly, you have forgot to consider display quality which should be the first thing one should consider when buying a laptop! It's the screen we are always staring at, yet some of us don't take it seriously.

No, there's only slight difference between the two processors in terms of processor's computational power. The G model's integrated GPU beats AMD Vega 10 iGPU!

Want to do casual gaming as well? Then you should pick the Inspiron laptop you mentioned.

There are some other things like the Wi-Fi module, slimness or audio quality that make a laptop more expensive. You should read some detailed reviews of each of these laptops to find out more.

The hard drive is not of most importance. You can store your files or backups on external hard drives.

Considering the price, I would the take the Inspiron laptop. Hugely cheaper!
Considering portability and display quality, XPS is the winner!