News Best Mining GPUs Benchmarked and Ranked

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or are the columns in the chart a bit mixed up!!
Looks fine to me. RTX 2070 can break even in $5.01. That sounds about right. That would equate to a daily profit of 2.7 Olympic swimming pools and mining power of 7.3 Library of Congresses with the mining performance of 8 Toyota Corollas.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
What's the opportunity cost of mining, I wonder. If instead of buying a RTX graphic card to mine Ethenum, someone had simply spent the money on Ethenum coins, the return could actually be higher.

What's the opportunity cost of mining, I wonder. If instead of buying a RTX graphic card to mine Ethenum, someone had simply spent the money on Ethenum coins, the return could actually be higher.
Depends on when you bought the Ethereum, and then you're basically investing in a commodity and hoping it goes up. If you bought ETH last November at ~$450, it's basically quadrupled in value now, but you won't get any more ETH that way. If you bought a $1000 3080 to start mining in November, how much ETH would you have now? Probably 0.14 ETH in November, 0.12 ETH in December, and 0.11 ETH in January. So, $1000 in November would be 2.222 ETH, compared to mining 0.37 ETH. At current rates, it will take about 19 months of mining to hit that same level.

Alternatively, however, if you buy $1000 in ETH today you end up with 0.55 ETH. At current rates, it will only take ~6 months to mine that much ETH with a 3080. And if the price collapses, you still have a GPU.

Rob1C

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2016
I don't understand the purpose of buying the cheapest (break even days) card and going on to earn $2.82 per day after 96 days, when you could buy the most expensive card and go on to earn $12.26 per day after 194 days.

Wait twice as long to earn 4.3x as much every day - it's not like the extra 98 days is going to burn out the card and shorten the length of your earnings compared to the long term gain (even if it were 3 months shorter).

I understand "budget" but if you saved up 150 per week to invest in the better card, you'd have that card at a cost of double your expected earnings for the waiting period.

If your only goal is to save money buy the cheapest, if your only goal is to make money buy the most expensive (not to mention the capabilities of the professional cards, which were not covered in this review).

Why the middle ground, and create a shortage for people who want a gaming (or other graphics / compute use) card.

(some) Miners be mad! 🤯

Feb 14, 2021
Ok in most time im lurker, but also a miner.
First of all what I actually see big error down here 5700xt 51mh/s. Well yes its out of box 51-52 mh/s but every atleast who been in mining for a while can bios mod 5700XT or 5700 to make 56-59 mh/s my own 5700XT made 59 mhs 135w soft it was before TRM miner big update. RX590 33MHS RX580 31-32 75w soft. Same as RX480-470 those make 30-31. Vega 54 can be modified to vega 64 with latest TRM miner it makes 45++ mhs. I do not have any amd left sold with premium and bought 3060tis which cost me 500-550€ each :)

Last edited:

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
How about instead of doing the work for the miners by showing them which cards to buy out, why don't you support the regular buyer community on ways to keep the miners from sniping cards and letting vendors know how we feel.

Reactions: Ninjago97
Feb 14, 2021
How about instead of doing the work for the miners by showing them which cards to buy out, why don't you support the regular buyer community on ways to keep the miners from sniping cards and letting vendors know how we feel.
Every miner who been sometime in mining already know what gpus to buy and what gpus to sell for new miners.
I won't suggest to buy gpu now if you cant get any FE or close to mrsp.

Reactions: Clarence_Darrow

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020

How about you realizing you aren't entitled to any product more than another buyer willing to spend their money on it?
You aren't special nor more deserving.

Started mining just because I already have a 3080, but a little worried about killing the card. I'm interested in how much I can make when I'm not playing games.

I think the appeal of this article is for people like you or me. We have a card but don't want to hurt it and it seems if one backs off on the clocks and keeps it cool it is likely not going to hurt it, it also isn't going to mine as well as the listed numbers. I have not looked in to it much farther than watching a few YT videos myself.

I certainly see the appeal of a "free" $5 or more a day, as long as I would not cook my 5700 xt. Where I live there is no electric bill, so I would have that going for me.

Oct 22, 2020
How about you realizing you aren't entitled to any product more than another buyer willing to spend their money on it?
You aren't special nor more deserving.

I think the appeal of this article is for people like you or me. We have a card but don't want to hurt it and it seems if one backs off on the clocks and keeps it cool it is likely not going to hurt it, it also isn't going to mine as well as the listed numbers. I have not looked in to it much farther than watching a few YT videos myself.

I certainly see the appeal of a "free" $5 or more a day, as long as I would not cook my 5700 xt. Where I live there is no electric bill, so I would have that going for me.
Just make sure you do your research - cool temps is the best thing for longevity of hardware. some of the stock fan curves are not ideal for 24/7 running. Some of the 5700 xt run very hot on stock settings, and some of the models need to be repasted (MSI Mechs come to mind) The XFX models with massive heatsinks are great - but still need to pay attention.

Ok in most time im lurker, but also a miner.
First of all what I actually see big error down here 5700xt 51mh/s. Well yes its out of box 51-52 mh/s but every atleast who been in mining for a while can bios mod 5700XT or 5700 to make 56-59 mh/s my own 5700XT made 59 mhs 135w soft it was before TRM miner big update. RX590 33MHS RX580 31-32 75w soft. Same as RX480-470 those make 30-31. Vega 56 can be modified to vega 64 with latest TRM miner it makes 45++ mhs. I do not have any amd left sold with premium and bought 3060tis which cost me 500-550€ each :)
VBIOS modding is possible, which can improve hash rates in some (but not all) cases. You can control voltage, clocks, power, and memory speed in AMD's drivers on the Navi GPUs, though, which makes VBIOS modding somewhat unnecessary. As noted in the article, I tested reference cards (except for models where reference cards don't exist, like 580, 590, 5500 XT, 5600 XT, and the 1660 series), which means performance and tuning often max out a bit lower than custom cards. Plus, VBIOS modding is 100% absolutely not guaranteed to work -- even if others say it will. Some cards simply don't work as well as others due to the silicon lottery. I strongly suspect my older GPUs are also just more finnicky due to being, well, old.

What I've presented here are numbers that I think just about any card using the same GPU can match or exceed, which is far more useful data than results that only a few heavily modded cards can hit. The reason being, I'm not trying to convince people to start mining -- I don't get a cut of the mining profits. I've also presented actual power draw — of the card, not including PSU efficiency or the rest of the PC — which is something most places don't include.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Depends on when you bought the Ethereum, and then you're basically investing in a commodity and hoping it goes up. If you bought ETH last November at ~$450, it's basically quadrupled in value now, but you won't get any more ETH that way. If you bought a $1000 3080 to start mining in November, how much ETH would you have now? Probably 0.14 ETH in November, 0.12 ETH in December, and 0.11 ETH in January. So, $1000 in November would be 2.222 ETH, compared to mining 0.37 ETH. At current rates, it will take about 19 months of mining to hit that same level.

Assuming a lifespan of five years, how many ETH can a 3080 mine overall and what's the cost in electricity? I was thinking perhaps a surefire way of making money is offering to mine on behalf of other people. Secretly, you would use their money to buy ETH. If it price continues to rise, money from new investors would cover the payouts to earlier ones. When it collapses eventually, you can then fulfill your obligations with ETH bought on the cheap. Obviously, you would need to bail out well before price hit rock bottom. Interest from new investors should give you a pretty good sense on where the market is heading.

Assuming a lifespan of five years, how many ETH can a 3080 mine overall and what's the cost in electricity? I was thinking perhaps a surefire way of making money is offering to mine on behalf of other people. Secretly, you would use their money to buy ETH. If it price continues to rise, money from new investors would cover the payouts to earlier ones. When it collapses eventually, you can then fulfill your obligations with ETH bought on the cheap. Obviously, you would need to bail out well before price hit rock bottom. Interest from new investors should give you a pretty good sense on where the market is heading.
The rate of ETH mining on a 3080 -- or any cryptocoin mining -- over time is variable but pretty much always trends down. (If the rate of coin generation for a specific piece of hardware goes up, that indicates the network hash rate is going down, which means the coin is likely worthless.) So right now, at current difficulty, a single RTX 3080 can mine about 0.0058 ETH in a day. That's theoretically ~$10.25 per day, which would mean $3,740 per year. But that's too high to sustain, which means more people will mine, network difficulty will go up, and profits will go down. Alternatively, price will go down, people will stop mining, and ETH per day will go up, so if you hold all ETH until (if!) the next spike happens, you could make a lot of money.

[Side note: The Ethereum Difficulty Bomb is still waiting in the wings. It was supposed to arrive in 2020 but was pushed off ~611 days until 2022. If it ever arrives, ETH goes basically full Proof of Stake and Proof of Work stops.]

Realistically, in five years, I'd expect the profitability of mining with an RTX 3080 to stabilize at around 50% more than the power cost at $0.10 per kWh. That's based on some instinct and guesses, but new hardware coming out and other factors play into that. Anyway, that would mean a 3080 would eventually stabilize at around $0.90 to $1.00 in daily mining income, of which $0.60 would go to power. At that rate, it would net just $125 or so per year -- and you'd still need to deal with the heat output, fan deterioration, etc. It's very likely at the most profitable point in its lifespan right now. In a few months, I'll be shocked if a 3080 can net more than $5 per day, and by the end of the year I expect it to be closer to $2-$3 per day. That's enough to break even, but it will take more like 12 months of 24/7 mining instead of four months.

The 590 performs slightly worse than the 580? Strange.
Comes down to the cards in question. XFX RX 590 Fatboy vs. Sapphire RX 580 8GB Nitro+ SE -- the latter being heavily factory overclocked. Since VRAM ends up the critical factor, there's just a bit of wiggle room (1-2MH/s). This is similar to the RTX 20-series results, where all of the 8GB cards clump together, and even the RTX 2080 Super (which has faster GDDR6 memory) didn't perform better. Likely that's because memory timings are looser on the 2080 Super.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Asic miners aren't more profitable for the price?
You're right, they are - far better hash rate per watt too... specialized hardware performs better, who knew?
But the cost of these machines basically eliminate everyone who isn't already loaded. Also, running these in your own room probably isn't the best idea either - not like gpu mining can't warm up a room, but still...
->Just a simple Duckduckgo Search found this with listed prices of a few: https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/mining/hardware/

Reactions: Antler
Jan 30, 2021
You're right, they are - far better hash rate per watt too... specialized hardware performs better, who knew?
But the cost of these machines basically eliminate everyone who isn't already loaded. Also, running these in your own room probably isn't the best idea either - not like gpu mining can't warm up a room, but still...
->Just a simple Duckduckgo Search found this with listed prices of a few: https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/mining/hardware/
Yes I agree. I mean when someone wants to do something it's better to do it right. the average price of a 3090 in the market is around 2500$ (or maybe more). as the benchmark, it can do around 106 MH, Innosilicon A10 Pro+ does 750 MH/s for a price around 11k-12k USD power included. to be able to get that out of a GPU we need at least 7 overclocked 3090. plus Rig equipment. So three of them are equal to 2250 MH = 21 X RTX 3090 the new one coming in July is even more powerful 2000MH!!!

Reactions: Phaaze88