[SOLVED] Best monitor for gaming/programming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2020
I'm looking for a monitor for my build (I have yet to buy the CPU/GPU, but I'll be getting the 5900x and the 3080 FE once they're in stock), and am debating on whether I should spend an extra $70-$90 on a 1440p monitor (as opposed to a 1080p one).

Here's the 1080p monitor: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TNM8L6S?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Here's the 1440p monitor: https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-tuf-gaming-vg27wq1b-27/p/N82E16824281084?Item=N82E16824281084

I've heard good things about 1440p, and seeing as I'm getting a 3080, I figured I might as well get a decent monitor. There's a few things I'm not sure about with the 1440p monitor, however:
  1. It doesn't support G-Sync (although I've read that you can use Adaptive-Sync with NVidia cards, not sure how much of a difference there is between the two)
  2. It's a curved monitor (I'm not sure how big a 1500R curve is; I know it would be great for gaming, but I'm not sure how well it would work for general work/web browsing/etc.)
  3. It's 27" as opposed to 24" (the monitor I currently use is 21.5", so I'm not exactly sure how big/comfortable a 27" monitor would be to use)
  4. The price (obviously)
Any thoughts?

Solution
I think you are being penny wise and pound foolish.
With a top end processor and graphics card, buy the very best monitor for your purpose.

To my mind, larger/wider and higher resolution is a good way to go, particularly for desktop work with several windows open.
Once you get past about 24" there should be a curve to the monitor.
If not, the edges will be harder to see and may look washed out.
Wide is more immersive, particularly for sims, mmo and strategy games.

If you can, go to a store and see some of the candidates in person.

At 4k resolution gaming, do not expect even a 3080 to go way past 60fps.
a 100hz capable monitor should be sufficient.

Look for a ips panel with 178/178 viewing angle.
tn panels are cheaper and faster...

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019
I went from a single 24" 1080p 144hz Asus to two...then to a triple setup (racing sim, etc). Due to moving/space I sold all three and bought a 34" 1440p 144hz curved monitor (In my sig below). The curve is great, the size of the panel is perfect and having the extra pixels is definitely worth it over 1080p.

Since you'll be getting a 3080 (i have one) you will have zero issues running games at 1440p and the extra space will be great for productivity.

Are you able to swing the budget and get at least 31.5-32" 1440p monitor? You will absolutely love it. I do recommend going to a microcenter (if any are by you or a computer store or a store that sells monitors) to compare the sizes of the monitors. I found that anything below 34" for me was too small.

I think you are being penny wise and pound foolish.
With a top end processor and graphics card, buy the very best monitor for your purpose.

To my mind, larger/wider and higher resolution is a good way to go, particularly for desktop work with several windows open.
Once you get past about 24" there should be a curve to the monitor.
If not, the edges will be harder to see and may look washed out.
Wide is more immersive, particularly for sims, mmo and strategy games.

If you can, go to a store and see some of the candidates in person.

At 4k resolution gaming, do not expect even a 3080 to go way past 60fps.
a 100hz capable monitor should be sufficient.

Look for a ips panel with 178/178 viewing angle.
tn panels are cheaper and faster, but the image quality is not as good.

A great monitor is a long term investment, bust your budget if you need to to buy the best.
And... keep your old monitor as a side monitor to hold such things as email and performance monitors.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.