Best Of The Best, Part 3: Who Makes The Most Elite PC Case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayvy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hats off to Thomas Soderstrom and the work put into this series. There is a lack of comprehensive computer enclosure articles, which leaves consumers purchasing decisions to educated guesses, not definitive answers.

This article highlights a sad truth; computer enclosures typically fall somewhere between gimmicky, foolishly designed, or needlessly excessive. I'm astonished by the difficulty manufacturers seem to have in engineering these things, unless it's blatant disregard. No matter what you purchase, you are forced into making sacrifices that are seemingly obvious fixes.

Even the surface details, way above the depth this article explores, are insulting deficiencies. What sort of R&D department places USB ports so close together that two devices cannot be plugged in simultaneously? To me, that's not having an attention to detail, it's a microcosmic failure that is representative of the general design principles of computer cases. Do you really need to be an engineer to get a heat gun and observe the sources of heat in a modern gaming computer in order to devise an adequate ventilation system?

Call me crazy, but none of it seems that difficult. Use a little ingenuity and intuition. If your design team is so out of touch with the amenities aftermarket builders seek, then have a public design contest. Many of us would be eager to show you a truly capable design.

Magnificent work Thomas Soderstrom! The best high end case test I ever seen in the web.

It seems Silverstone engineers are far ahead from others. They are far ahead in the Temperatures Over Ambitient with high fans and far ahead in the Acoustic Efficiency with low fans.

If the high fans wouldn't produce so much noise, I think it would take the elite award...

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
These are ugly boxes that no one needs to look at.

An elite case could be something like the PC-CK101. It's beautiful, and actually works(the movement is kind of silly, and not very feasible). It cost me about $350, but every time I look at it, I feel like it's worth it.

Granted, looks are subjective, but these things make no attempt at being anything but simple boxes. If you want a more functional definition of elite, their gruesome appearance is fine, because no one has to look at them, but then why even consider these knock-off brands, and not just get a SuperMicro? They're more attractive, infinitely better designed, and far better supported. They also make the best motherboards money can buy. They are a real server company, so if you're serious, that's the way to go.

These knock-off companies don't have the experience, reputation (nothing says quality like SuperMicro), or long term support for their products. If you're going to pay that much money for a case, either get some really nice looking (or unique, or both), or at least consider something from a company that only makes high quality products, and has been doing it for a few decades. Their designs are very mature, and very refined.

I can't say they're the best, because I haven't tried every brand, but they are clearly less riddled with problems than the normal cases from lower-end makers like Lian-Li (although I still buy them, and think they're fine for their price.). But, when you're talking around the $400+ area, you don't get a pass for "fine for their price". You better be near perfect, or exceptional in some detail. Because at that price, you are competing against the lower-end of real server boxes, with much better support. It's not clear to me these boxes justify the cost.

It would have been interesting to include one for comparison. Even if you don't need it for a server, they are very nice cases, with so many more options directly available from the manufacturer. It's worth a look, if you have a part 4.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Thank you for your efforts Thomas, that looks like it was a ton of work! If I may add a suggestion: Please include a summary photograph of all the cases in one photo. I feel that it would add to the "rounding off" of the article series and give a nice overview of all the cases' looks to the reader.

After reading your review, I'd take a white Nanoxia Deep Silence 6, based on silence, performance and looks.

Thanks again.

voltagetoe

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
All these so called silent cases lack common sense. You can make a truly silent one yourself by using 25mm plywood and 30mm glass wool - very cheap materials.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

You bought a case that looks like a train. That's not elite, that's niche as hell. On top of that, it's a Mini-ITX case which puts it outside the scope of these articles by default. Besides, if we factored in Mini-ITX the NCase M1 would blow your train out of the water.

Other than some of their cases holding a lot of hard drives, I fail to see what makes SuperMicro cases amazing. They look unbelievably bland on the outside, and like every desktop I've ever seen on the inside [with the exception of the swinging HDD cage, which is of dubious necessity]. Of course I'm only looking at their freestanding computers, because rack cases are also outside of the scope of these articles. Honest request, point me to these outstanding and attractive SuperMicro cases that I'm missing. I'm not familiar enough with the brand to just say you're wrong, but I haven't found evidence myself to the contrary.

voltagetoe

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
All these so called silent cases lack common sense. You can make a truly silent one yourself by using 25mm plywood and 30mm glass wool - very cheap materials.

No Cooler Master Cosmos? I am disappoint 8(

The Cosmos, albeit old, it is a great full tower case. The HAF X is another good option, but I'll concede it's not the best. The CM 932 is much like the HAF X, so the same goes for him.

Also, no Lian Li? I have to say they might not be the cheapest options, but they're very good as well.

Cheers!

Musaab

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
Caselabs cases are super pricy. Great quailty look super cool, Pro, and alot of radiators and I think it worth money you pay

I'm sorry to say that this article series is completely useless. It is no help in selecting a case or coming to any conclusion about cases. An "elite' nomination should not be for something that's as impractical as the Mountain Mod, nor should it have as a primary entry criteria a minimum price.

You're like trying to survey the entire auto market for "vehicles over $75,000" and then commenting on their passenger carrying and road-holding capability while some entrants entered an airplane into the competition - and one or two even entered a boat!

Innocent_Bystander

Honorable
May 2, 2013
An elite case could be something like the PC-CK101. It's beautiful, and actually works(the movement is kind of silly, and not very feasible). It cost me about $350, but every time I look at it, I feel like it's worth it.

I just looked it up, that's a hell of a cute case. I might end up doing a build for my kids with one of these. I'm sure it's capable of a lot more but... it's a freakin train! Thanks for mentioning it!

gallovfc

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Exactly, Yuca!! Where is the top COSMOS II ? I don't care if it's old or something, it has been my dream case for a long time now. =)

gallovfc

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
How about a "Smart Buy" award for slim mini-ITX cases ?? I'm tryng to chose one to use with a Core i5 4430 and a GTX 750 Low Profile, to be my "console-PC"...

g-unit1111

Titan

The Cosmos II was reviewed in this article from 2012: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/switch-810-cosmos-ii-strike-x-hurrican-2000,3151.html

That Mountain Mods case is insanely huge - it's the PC equivalent of the Ford F150s with the 6' diameter tires. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS