Question Best Overclock for an EVGA RTX 2060S?

AfternoonVxbe

Commendable
Feb 1, 2022
Hello all. I've been interested in overclocking my GPU as one of my buddies has OCed his 2060 Super and all goes great with him. I'd like to give it a shot, though he has a much different model than mine as I think he has an ASUS model of the card which I think runs slightly differently than my EVGA card. Can someone give me some type of overclock which can boost performance in games (NFS Unbound, FH5, GTA V, Sniper Elite 5, etc.) yet can still run decently cool? Thanks.

I have MSI Afterburner as my OC software.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yup, specs are required to even say if it's a good idea. Now, you should never be running a junk PSU, but if you are, then that just multiplies the risk to your components.

And in any case, overclocking is a process you follow, not a specific set of values you can just plug in. Every chip is different.

Reactions: Darkbreeze

AfternoonVxbe

Commendable
Feb 1, 2022
What is the EXACT model of your power supply?

What are the rest of your hardware specs including case model, case fan configuration (How many, where, what direction, for EACH case fan), CPU cooler model, motherboard, CPU, etc?

Alright got it.
i7 9700F (CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO)
ASUS PRIME Z390-P
CORSAIR RM850x Gold
4x16 GB CORSAIR VENGENACE DDR4 RAM (clocked @ 2666MHz)
3 be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120mm (2 intake, 1 outake)
EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER Black Gaming
NZXT H510 Flow

If any of those parts are no good then I'll guess its no good for OCing right? I got this built by someone else not myself so I might be missing something or two.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have MSI Afterburner as my OC software.
Hi.
1)Afterburner has an OC Scanner option. Open AB, click OC Scanner, then click Scan and wait for it to finish. [Took around 35mins for me the last few times I ran it.]
2)When the Scanner is finished, click Apply on the main HUD, then save the profile to one of the numbered buttons(for quick access). After, you click the reset button, then click Revert in OC Scanner.
3)Run benchmark/game on gpu's default. Record, or write down what it gets.
4)Apply the saved profile from the Scanner, click the unlink button(chain link icon), enter a lower value in the Power Limit box, and click Apply.
[This step will need to be repeated until you match your card's performance at default. Use intervals of 5 and 10%, to save some time. For my 1080Ti, I found it at 80% - this doesn't mean it's the same for your card, but it might be a start.]
5)Once you've found a match, save it to a numbered profile. Don't forget to click the Reset button when finished. Done.

Yes, one of the steps above says to lower the power limit, but that's because:
-there's little to gain from just applying a gpu overclock; the built-in boost algorithm monitors gpu operating thermals and power consumption. It doesn't care much for the higher operating thermals and more frequent board power limit breaches that come with OC, and on its own, will dynamically dial things back to its own comfort zone.

-most games and user settings are cpu primary thread bound, and if not that, then software usually follows as the roadblock. If that single thread is already busy trying to send work to the gpu, a gpu OC won't do much.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Darkbreeze, the newest version of Afterburner's OC Scanner doesn't function like that anymore. There's just Scan and Revert buttons, and it's been taking around 30-ish minutes to complete - perhaps scanning and testing at the same time now.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No, you can still manually overclock, but OC Scanner works differently in newer versions. Test button was removed - the app does it during Scan now, but it takes twice as long to complete.
It will also automatically apply the scanned overclock every time Afterburner is open, which I find a pain in the butt. To get around this, you have to click Revert, but not before saving the overclock to one of the numbered slots.