Gladdeman

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
Hey,

I upgraded my brother's pc back in 2017 with a bit of a budget build so he could run (mainly) rainbow six siege, these are the parts i installed back then:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Gr3rLD

Now he wants to up the graphics and change out his ancient 650ti wich has been in the system since about 2012.
So i was looking at getting him an Msi 2070 super gaming X, since he wants to get an 1440p 144hz monitor at the end of the year/early next year.
But i think that the rest of his setup will be a bottleneck.

so the question is:
is this setup really going to bottleneck the card? And would it be better for him to just continue saving and spend more getting a whole new setup next year?
Or could he get the card now and upgrade the rest later? (tho i think doing it all in one go might be a better plan).
Altough if it comes to a total rebuild something like the power supply might still be usable for a new build?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: correct link to Pcpartpicker

Last edited:
Solution
Think it should work now.
Ok so it's really going to depend on the budget but I'd get the 1660S (or better) then upgrade the CPU/MB/RAM to possible AMD Ryzen as it's a better price to performance pick currently. As for the "bottlenecking" his current quad core may do it but it comes down to the game and even if it does a little bit he will see a massive improvement over that 650 ti. The reason I recommended the 1660S is that perhaps he could get the CPU, CPU, MB & RAM but like I said it comes down to budget.

WildCard999

Titan
Think it should work now.
Ok so it's really going to depend on the budget but I'd get the 1660S (or better) then upgrade the CPU/MB/RAM to possible AMD Ryzen as it's a better price to performance pick currently. As for the "bottlenecking" his current quad core may do it but it comes down to the game and even if it does a little bit he will see a massive improvement over that 650 ti. The reason I recommended the 1660S is that perhaps he could get the CPU, CPU, MB & RAM but like I said it comes down to budget.

Solution