Best PC Builds (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 217926

And Nvidia just made all of these obsolete.

gbair

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
From the $750 VR thread: "Those [the two from the poll] were the only submissions that met minimum specs...".

Not sure which specs y'all were using, but I saw more than a couple that met what was posted for submissions...

Nuckles_56

Admirable
I agree with anort3 here, I guess you'll need to do a new one of these next week lol
Also, I wish SR-71 Blackbird went with a different r9 390x, as I know the Strix ones run very hot

DynamoNED

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Quick question about the "Steam Machine" build: Is this intended to run SteamOS, or just intended as an HTPC that runs Steam? If it's the former, is a Radeon card really the best option for a SteamOS machine? Pardon me if my ignorance is showing, but last time I dabbled in SteamOS, the official Nvidia drivers were far more stable in Linux that either the FGLRX or radeon drivers. If it is the latter, then I agree that it's a good performance platform that could use a bit more RAM.

I've got some compliments about the 2k build I'm sorry but here we go.

1) cpu cooler with that budget could easily be a kraken x61/ cryorig h40/h80/ultimate, or at least a cryorig h7
2) better case like the phanteks p400s
3) better power supply.
4) seagate hdd? wheres the ssd .

Thomas Serruques

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
No SSD and 8GB of RAM on the 2K$ build is really underwhelming. Plus all those SLI config are not really futureproof what with M$ DirectX12
and explicit SLI support for AAA titles. M$ said they would make an announcement concerning the support of multi GPU but we're still waiting. I hope there's some good news and people don't regret their SLI or Crossfire builds.

Thomas Serruques

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
750$ build and 1K$ build both seem to have 16GB of RAM.
So in the 1K$ build description I don't see how it has double the ram of the 750$ build

Mooisme123

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
Can someone explain to me why the 980 ti is obsolete or isn't really worth buying anymore? I noticed that the 980 ti performance is still very strong atm when it comes to AAA titles. Please enlightening me as this might sound sort of like a noob question.

D

Deleted member 217926

The GTX 1070 is faster and cheaper. The GTX 1080 is significantly faster and the same price the 980 Ti released at.

Mooisme123

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016

Hey there, do you know what is the price range that is suitable to buy since I notice its around $600 atm.

D

Deleted member 217926

A two month old article comment thread is the wrong place to ask build questions. Please start a new thread to address any questions you might have.

kamhagh

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
can someone tell me why there is a cooler on Screaming Skylake Build? you can't overclock it! And stock fans are usually good, atleast mine is, it has never gone over 30% i think :D I have a stock 3570k, but maybe ivy bridge is just cold:?

Wurmfist

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
I wish OS was added into the cost of these reviews. Face it, you're not going to build even the 500 dollar one without the functionality of Windows 10. And I've heard the arguments about Steam OS and so on so forth. That's fine, but add the cost of 100 dollars to every build and it gets realistic. Yes, I know sometimes you can find it cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.