Best PCI card

anacandor

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Hello everyone,

This may be a question you've seen many times before but none of them have had the answers i was looking for. So basically, i'm running a dell dimension 1100 with DE051 mobo (i think) Pentium 4 @ 2.8GHz w/ 82865G intergrated intel gfx card (at 0.3bil texels p/s). Mainly just playing WoW and CS. I get around 20 fraps at 800x600 on absolute low settings with WoW.

I only have 3 PCI slots and i don't think it's too easy to replace the mobo as it's tucked in far at the back of my case; i don't trust myself with the computer either, i'd probably break it. I think the psu is 200-250W, not exactly sure.

Currently looking at (all with 256mb, 128 bit):
X1550 (need better psu?)
and the fx series (5200, 5300, 5500, 5600, 5700 etc and the 6200)

Which would give me the best possible fraps? Or if you have a suggestion one or another it would be much appreciated. I'm might need to upgrade my psu, but i'm not sure how to (how much do psu's cost anyway?).

Thanks in advance.

DiscoDuck

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
You are putting money in a system thats too old. Save up a couple hundred bucks and do a budget upgrade with onbaord video and then add a video card when you can.

DarthPiggie

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
Probably a Radeon X1300, 9250, of GF FX 5500 256MB. or a 6200.
I had good experiences with the 9250 and 5500 a while back. The 9250 256MB played Half-Life 2 perfectly, and it looked nice too.

Since you have a Dell, forget about upgrading the PSU, or the motherboard.
About the only thing you CAN upgrade is memory and video card. Your PSU will be just fine for any PCI card.
As far as what card, get one of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131082

By far the fastest PCI card you will find. DX10, (though anything running in DX10 is going to bring your whole rig to a grinding halt) and Vista compatible. And any PCI solution is not going to exactly do wonders in todays games. It is still going to suck. Period.

I wouldn't spend money on what you have to try and improve gaming.
I would do whole new build.
Only get this card if you simply do not have the money to go with a whole new build, and just have to have something a little better to hold you over for now.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
+1 for HD2400. Your PSU will be fine, you'll notice it doesn't have a molex or PCIe power connector, and therefore the PCI bus power is all it requires, and any PSU can do that.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

A BIG hammer, or that Slot Stretcher that Rosewill came out with earlier this year. :na: :na: :kaola:

Crazy-PC

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008

oh....no.. my memory missunderstood this system as AGP. you are right. this Dell system is PCI-E x16. So go with 9600GSO or HD3650 would be good.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
WOW... I had no idea they had a PCI HD2400. That's really kinda neat. Assuming there isn't a massive bottleneck from the PCI bus this is easily be the fastest PCI card I've seen.

-mcg

royalcrown

Distinguished
There is always gonna be a bottleneck somewhere in any system depending on what your running, just get the new card and enjoy the increase in speed.

If your looking to play the latest games though, that P4 is gonna be a dog, just fyi (Crysis or Supreme Commander, any of the more current RTS or RPG use a lot of CPU to keep track of the units and AI. If your not doing the latest and greatest, just get the card.

If you are wanting the newest games, don't fall for the hype, even a good midrange CPU with a good card will run the latest games, just not at stupid resolutions with 16aa, so everyone complains. Myself, my system plays the latest games quite well on very high, but I spent money on a good video card to make up for the mid range cpu.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

Actually, it's the fastest gaming card ever released on the PCI interface. (ATI probably has a more powerful 2D professional card for trading and whatnot.

It's obvious you're literate. Please practice by READING THE POST. PCI!! you know, the old interface with a 32-bit 33mhz bus? The same still used for wireless cards, sound cards, storage controllers, etc? Geez....

kylednelson

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
I actually just posted basically the same thing a few days ago. I'd go with the HD 2400. I bought two (was going to do one in each of our computers, mine and the wifes, but hers is being lame atm.). I got them last night and installed this morning. Fromt he little iw as able to do before work, it looks pretty damn nice. Be warned, the heatsink is rather large adn you will lose a pci slot more than likely. Thats what happened to me, otherwise i was going to put both into the one computer, but only have 3 slots, need one for modem, and "2" for the new graphics card. good luck!
While I am thinking about it, anyone know where i can find one thats got a fan on it, so maybe it will fit into my slot closest to the end if i get a usb modem?

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

A couple questions:

1) You know you can't SLI PCI cards, right?

if the answer is yes:
2) How many monitors are you pushing with a PCI-only machine? And for what purpose?

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

I feel you man, I'm a tinkerer too. I've lapped factory heatsinks before just to see what kind of yields I could get. :lol:

anacandor

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Wow thanks for all the great info everyone. I didn't even know they made a PCI card dx10 capable, however it seems the 64 bit interface may let it down, not sure how much though. Gddr2 memory too; sounds promising, and for only $65 ($45 after rebate) it's a bargain.

Don't worry about the 64 bit interface. It's plenty of bandwidth for a PCI card, plenty.
This is one of, if not the very fastest PCI card that you can still buy. It will easily smoke any of the cards you have mentioned in your first post.