Build Advice Best possible build up to 2.5k-ish for multi-tasking, charts, 4 monitors, productivity - Part2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nate12

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...oductivity-no-gaming.3767865/page-2?view=date

This is the old topic where i asked for best possible setup around 2.5k $, not for gaming but for multi tasking, to make everything smooth while working on few apps at the same time for trading for example on few monitors. Some require more memory

I didint pull trigger back then, but i am about to as my alienware is really becoming slow. Maybe i can survive a little bit to the BF or maybe i should wait a bit because there is new release of some items soon? like intel 13 maybe? But this is what i picked last time.

Can you please tell me if its worth waiting for something, change anything or should i go with what it is :

Intel Core i7-12700, 2.1 GHz, 25 MB, BOX (BX8071512700)
MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4
SeaSonic Focus GX-750W (SSR-750FX)
be quiet! Pure Base 500DX (BGW37)
SSD WD Black SN850 1 TB M.2 2280 PCI-E x4 Gen4 NVMe (WDS100T1X0E) or WD Black SN850 1TB ( Depending on price during order, think both are top)
DDR 64 GB 2x 32GB CL18 Patrior Viper Steel/Viper 4 Blackout/G Skill Ripjaws/Kingston Fury
SilenitumPC Navis F240 ARGB - There is a problem with this item so will need something similar, maybe Noctua NH-D15 if fits pure base 500dx.
GPU -
Sapphire Radeon RX 6700 Gaming OC 10GB or Radeon RX 6700 XT DUAL 12GB

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Why_Me

nate12

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016
This is how it looks in BIOS. I have 3 case fans. One at the front, one at the back, one at the top and one fan from Noctua D15(removed one). Which one is the Pump 1 with 1000+ RPM? Maybe i can lower it? Maybe its not connected properly. Thinking out loud, just trying to make it better and less noisy :)

You need to determine WHICH fan is making the noise...by stopping each for a few seconds if necessary.

You should have some degree of fan control in the BIOS..for both case fans and the fan on the Noctua.

Don't know anything about your case fans, but Noctua cooler fans are typically very quiet.....unless you have them running up beyond 1000 rpm somewhere. Most any fan will become audible at 4 feet as it goes beyond 1000 rpm or so. Some much more than others.

nate12

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016
You need to determine WHICH fan is making the noise...by stopping each for a few seconds if necessary.

You should have some degree of fan control in the BIOS..for both case fans and the fan on the Noctua.

Don't know anything about your case fans, but Noctua cooler fans are typically very quiet.....unless you have them running up beyond 1000 rpm somewhere. Most any fan will become audible at 4 feet as it goes beyond 1000 rpm or so. Some much more than others.

Yes. Look at the last message i posted, maybe you havent seen it as i added like 3 posts one after another. One Fan, the front one called Pump Fan in Bios was running at over 1000 RPM. I switched it from PWM to DC, changed some values and it instantly went quiet, but right now its not working at all. Not sure is it because of the changed values so that it will start working once needed or because of that PWM-DC switch. But looks like it was the one making noise

I think your 500DX case comes with three Pure Wings 2 fans.

The Noctua cooler should have 1 fan.

ALL of those fans are PWM as far as I know.

Total of 4, but your experimentation should tell you if you need all 3 of the Pure Wings. Might try it with no fan on top and then evaluate temps. If too high, add the top fan.

Your Mortar motherboard has 4 places to connect fans:

Sys fan 1

Sys fan 2

Pump

CPU

The pump connector is designed for a liquid cooling pump, but it may be suitable for other uses. I don't know.

I'd start with Noctua fan connected to CPU connector

Pure Wings connected to Sys Fan 1 and Sys Fan 2.

I'd use either the PWM or "auto" setting in the BIOS to control the fans.

nate12

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016
I have no idea how to connect/disconnect it to different spots.

Cpu fan, the middle one in Noctua is running, not sure why it shows 0 rpm here. I removed 2nd fan, Noctua D15 had 2. Pump Fan is the one in front on the case. I changed values again just to make it work, because it didint earlier and lowered values for the 2 others so the one at the top and the one at the back. This is how it looks now.

Can anyone with knowledge let me know if thats fine as i was just doing it without any idea at all.

I have no idea how to connect/disconnect it to different spots.

??

What is "it"? What fan?

Can you not find the 2 "sys fan" connectors on the motherboard?

Can you not find the "CPU_Fan 1" connector on the motherboard?

If the Noctua fan is spinning, to what connector is wired to on the motherboard?

The temps look OK.

You apparently have 3 fans spinning....all at very low RPM. They can spin faster than that if need be. If not needed to spin faster, they should loaf.

My guess is the Noctua fan is connected to the Pump Fan connector, not the CPU Fan 1 connector.

You should be able to manipulate that curve shown in blue...probably by dragging it with the mouse.

Have you looked at the motherboard manual regarding the fan controls in the BIOS?

nate12

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016
??

What is "it"? What fan?

Can you not find the 2 "sys fan" connectors on the motherboard?

Can you not find the "CPU_Fan 1" connector on the motherboard?

If the Noctua fan is spinning, to what connector is wired to on the motherboard?

The temps look OK.

You apparently have 3 fans spinning....all at very low RPM. They can spin faster than that if need be. If not needed to spin faster, they should loaf.

My guess is the Noctua fan is connected to the Pump Fan connector, not the CPU Fan 1 connector.

You should be able to manipulate that curve shown in blue...probably by dragging it with the mouse.

Have you looked at the motherboard manual regarding the fan controls in the BIOS?

Pump fan is the front case fan. Noctua is connected to Cpu_Fan1, so the back Fan and the top fan are connected to Sys_fan1 and Sys_fan2. And yes i am able to manipulate blue curves, thats how i changed all those values.

Of course its working, i fixed it, there is no noise anymore but the values i entered are random so i am looking for someone's help to tell me if thats fine, if i should put it higher or maybe even can go lower.

Not sure why CPU fan says 0 RPM even though its running(maybe because 2nd fan is not connected so it cant read it properly)

Evaluate temps while actually doing your normal work load.

Stand on the throttle with a load test to see how hot it might get if stressed. Evaluate noise, temperatures, and fans speeds then.

Temps and noise when just idling don't tell you much.

I don't see anything significant in your last pictures other than CPU fan RPM is shown as zero even though the Noctua cooler is connected to CPU Fan 1 connector.

Your fan speeds are very very low. The PC should be very quiet at those speeds.

You need to find out how fast the fans will spin when under a good load.

Do you see the Noctua fan spinning with your own eyeballs?

Install Windows and continue checking performance.